Will revising GCP Alone get you A/A* in your exams Watch

Popsiclez
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Currently without it I'm B/C and want to get A or A* for Most of my Subjects I've started making Revision notes on Friday however its so time consuming, but found GCP GCSE Books for things like RE where It has a lot of Bible Quotes you can use and points for each topic, and English.

Sorry meant CGP not GCP.
Mikos
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
CGP is very good. Sure, you're going to get a lot of second hand embarrassment from their dreadful jokes, but honestly, they do know what they're doing. Just make sure you have the right exam board for your book, though.
Other than that, if you make good use of them, yeah, I don't see why you couldn't get an A* if you used them regularly and well, but I would suggest other techniques in between, i.e cue cards with notes from the revision guide.
SoulfulTwist
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I always advice doing as many past papers as possible with their mark schemes and examiners reports.
Popsiclez
Rep:
?
Thanks anyone else, say otherwise? For Science I've made my own notes, and I already ordered a revision CD and exam Papers from my school for Maths, I only brought CGP Books for English and Jekyll and Hyde, Inspector calls, and RE since its compulsory at my school and Im bad at evidencing.
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
For GCSE, yes. They're miracles. Don't even think about it for a-levels tho, GCSE is about remembering stuff whether it be techniques or facts. A-level is all about understanding what things mean, why is X^2 never negative, why does dy/dx give the gradient of a function. They're not things you have to know but learning those things and understanding the process is what gets you the best grades at advanced level. Using the old remembering what I need to would only get a C but at GCSE it is the way to get an A*/A
Eodi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Popsiclez)
Currently without it I'm B/C and want to get A or A* for Most of my Subjects I've started making Revision notes on Friday however its so time consuming, but found GCP GCSE Books for things like RE where It has a lot of Bible Quotes you can use and points for each topic, and English.

Sorry meant CGP not GCP.
For subjects like science or RE I think they're very good and with past papers you'll probably be able to get an A/A*. However, for subjects like English lit (not sure about language), I feel like they don't go into enough detail regarding the analysis of the book and just mention the sort of ''basic'' things that a lot of people will use. I think one of most important things when it comes to English lit is to try and be original and come up with points that will make you stand out to the examiner.
Ladymusiclover
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It worked for me at GCSE but only do this for GCSE!! But make sure you're covering the whole syllabus, it's best to go in more depth.
Popsiclez
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ladymusiclover)
It worked for me at GCSE but only do this for GCSE!! But make sure you're covering the whole syllabus, it's best to go in more depth.
Why not A-Levels?
Ladymusiclover
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why not A-Levels?
A levels requires more in depth studying and doing past papers. It's no longer just about memorisation.
Sparadrap2106
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
At GCSE, I used purely CGP and past papers for science (AQA) and I got nothing less than an A in every exam, they cover everything perfectly!
Popsiclez
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ladymusiclover)
A levels requires more in depth studying and doing past papers. It's no longer just about memorisation.
So its more about applying the knowledge?
Ladymusiclover
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So its more about applying the knowledge?
Yes absolutely, particularly A2. (I'm referring mainly to sciences though).
gapyear2018
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Sorry meant CGP not GCP.
I would say for sciences yes CGP is enough for A/A* but i would advise you to do past papers especially since ur at a B/C level as they recycle questions a lot and you'll know exactly what to say to get marks.

For History(if u do it) I'd advise a textbook and maths you 100 percent need past papers. For English a revision guide is useful but they'll never really have A grade answers to be fair- you need to be insightful enough to do this yourself.
Protostar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I only used CGP guides and past papers for my science GCSEs (my class notes weren't helpful in the slightest) and I got A*s in all 3 sciences - so yes it's definitely possible
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?