I need revision tips for chemistry AS!

Watch
FabStudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My AS Chemistry class is very behind due to our teacher and school in general and I find it quite difficult to learn the content alone. She didn't turn up for 3 weeks at the beginning of the year and has days off here and there now, which has caused us to be so behind.

On the topic tests so far I've got 2D's and 2C's which is pretty bad so i really need revision tips. I usually watch videos on youtube and answer exam questions on the topic afterwards but thats clearly not working!

Please tell me how you revise and how I can break out of this stupid cycle of receiving poor grades in my topic tests.
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by FabStudent)
My AS Chemistry class is very behind due to our teacher and school in general and I find it quite difficult to learn the content alone. She didn't turn up for 3 weeks at the beginning of the year and has days off here and there now, which has caused us to be so behind.

On the topic tests so far I've got 2D's and 2C's which is pretty bad so i really need revision tips. I usually watch videos on youtube and answer exam questions on the topic afterwards but thats clearly not working!

Please tell me how you revise and how I can break out of this stupid cycle of receiving poor grades in my topic tests.
Hiya,

Don't worry too much about getting low grades at the moment as you are still a beginner. Try and work out what you think is going wrong whether it is lack of understanding or exam technique so that you can focus on improving this.

The website Chemguide is really good for explaining things (I use it lots!). If you struggle at calculations the writer of Chemguide, Jim Clark, does a really good book explaining them. Practice is the most important thing as then it will come naturally. As chemistry has lots of theory
it is important to have condensed notes- I summarise the info in the textbook and fill this out a little bit from a CGP revision guide. It might also be useful to have example calculations, facts or mechanisms on note cards as a visual memory tool.

Hope this helps
FabStudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by VioletPhillippo)
Hiya,

Don't worry too much about getting low grades at the moment as you are still a beginner. Try and work out what you think is going wrong whether it is lack of understanding or exam technique so that you can focus on improving this.

The website Chemguide is really good for explaining things (I use it lots!). If you struggle at calculations the writer of Chemguide, Jim Clark, does a really good book explaining them. Practice is the most important thing as then it will come naturally. As chemistry has lots of theory
it is important to have condensed notes- I summarise the info in the textbook and fill this out a little bit from a CGP revision guide. It might also be useful to have example calculations, facts or mechanisms on note cards as a visual memory tool.

Hope this helps
Hi,

Thank you so much I'm taking your advice and hoping for the best.
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

Thank you so much I'm taking your advice and hoping for the best.
No problem, if you need any more help just ask, I'm doing A2 at the moment
Toasticide
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i think everyone gets D's at the beginning, i did and i ended up with a B at the end of the year and my revision technique didnt change at all.

In my opinion, best thing to do is look through a chapter (maybe do some questions), write on some paper every little detail you lose marks on (you may think you know them but in reality you may forget them) and write notes on the stuff you lose them on, then repeat.

My teacher is the same, we ended up doing all of inorganic in 2 days not including the self teaching i did.
Same thing is happening at A2! :l
Dark768
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Which exam board are you? I can help if its OCR
FabStudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dark768)
Which exam board are you? I can help if its OCR
I'm doing AQA :l
The Sikh Surgeon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing AQA :l
Im also doing AQA but i'm an A2. As already mentioned by VioletPhillippo, try getting the CGP revision guide to help you. If you do bio, get it for that also.

When writing notes refer to the Specification (which can be found on the internet) to guide you, as this tells you everything you need to know.

Past papers are also very good for chem so try doing as many as you can as the same questions come up again and again.
The Sikh Doctor
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Hi, the best thing to do is get the CGP book for AQA. I am an A2 student who also studies Chemistry (one of my best subjects). Also i advise you to get hold of the specification which can be found on the AQA website and learn the things that you are meant to learn. With doing past papers you will realise that some questions are repeated every year with the same boring answer. I would also advise you to do your notes asap and then 2 weeks later, visit the topic again so it goes into your long term memory. Good luck
The Sikh Doctor
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by The Sikh Surgeon)
Im also doing AQA but i'm an A2. As already mentioned by VioletPhillippo, try getting the CGP revision guide to help you. If you do bio, get it for that also.

When writing notes refer to the Specification (which can be found on the internet) to guide you, as this tells you everything you need to know.

Past papers are also very good for chem so try doing as many as you can as the same questions come up again and again.
Are you my twin?
The Sikh Surgeon
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mr PB)
Are you my twin?
Yh, Do you use this website too? :eek3::eviltongue:
The Sikh Surgeon
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mr PB)
Hi, the best thing to do is get the CGP book for AQA. I am an A2 student who also studies Chemistry (one of my best subjects). Also i advise you to get hold of the specification which can be found on the AQA website and learn the things that you are meant to learn. With doing past papers you will realise that some questions are repeated every year with the same boring answer. I would also advise you to do your notes asap and then 2 weeks later, visit the topic again so it goes into your long term memory. Good luck
Stealing my advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (632)
33.53%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (794)
42.12%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (374)
19.84%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.51%

Watched Threads