The Student Room Group

Medicine

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice from anyone willing to offer any :smile:

I'm looking to apply for medicine now to start in 2008, and I'm torn between Glasgow and Edinburgh, also possibly looking at Dundee as well because I've heard good things about the course there. The thing is, I have very different reasons to be looking at both.

I went to the open day at Glasgow Uni last year (I live in Glasgow by the way) but wasn't really sure about what I wanted to do yet so didn't focus in on anything in particular. Even so, I was very impressed by what little I saw of the Medical Facility there, and I'm going to go back to this years open day next week.

The problem is that I want to go away from home to study, not because I hate my family or anything, just because it's something I have always wanted to do. My brother went to Edinburgh Uni studying accountancy about 10 years ago, and still has a flat there which he rents out, but it's standing empty at the moment and he would be willing to offer me about half-price rent, which would obviously be really convenient.

Like I said, I'm planning to go to both of the open days, but do you think that it's a bad decision to go to Edinburgh purely because it's convenient and it would get me away from Glasgow? Also if there's anyone who is doing Medicine at either uni it would be great if you could tell me anything about the course which you really like/dislike and think I should know. Any help would be very much appreciated!
Reply 1
I sent you a PM about this but am just interested which other unis are you considering applying to?
Reply 2
I think I'm going to apply to all the schools that offer medicine in Scotland - Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow - and not really sure what I'm going to do with my other 2 choices.
Reply 3
Cute_Penguin
I think I'm going to apply to all the schools that offer medicine in Scotland - Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow - and not really sure what I'm going to do with my other 2 choices.

There is St Andrew's as well:wink: I just used my back ups for medicinal and biological chemistry and genetics in the knowledge that it was unlikely I would use them.... would rather have reapplied than study those
You shouldn't just apply randomly if you don't actually wanna go to somewhere though...
And isn't there only 5 UCAS spaces this year so she wont have any spares :wink:

Latest