Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can anyone help?

I get inconsistent speeds with uTorrent.

Right now it's 2pm and I am dowloading bioshock with 12(371) seeds and 49(2906)peers. I'm getting speeds of 16.3kb/s or thereabouts.

I usually get slow download speeds around this time, but at night it seems to increase to around 90kb/s.

Ive heard people getting d/l speeds of 300kb/s etc. Why is mine so slow?

Help please!

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried changing your listening port, making sure it's forwarded through your router / firewall correctly???

Also, what's your share ratio (don't know if uTorrent has one - always used zudeo myself...) - This could be affecting your speed

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should attach the .torrent file you are using so we can help you more easily . Your ISP most likely has some form of traffic management if you find your connection speed noticeably changes at different times of the day such as the change over between peak and off peak times. You getting bioshock for free so stop your *****ing:p: .

ReputationRep:
    0.824 is my share ratio, i cant find the torrent file :/.

The thing is the projected d/l time is about a week!

So what does the share ratio stand for?
    How can I increase my speed?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    What is your max upload rate set to? It should be zero, which is unlimited. The share ratio is based on how fast you are uploading. The faster you upload, the faster you download.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience the torrent probably has loads of trackers in it but you wont have access to all. Also, contrary to the above, I get best download speed when my upload is minimal. I dont have 16mb/s upload like some on there so no point wasting my 2mb connection on uploads :p:

What speed is your connection? Who is your ISP? Wired or wireless? You will probably get better connection at night as less people use it, but I can still get maxed at 220kb ish during the day too.

ReputationRep:
    i had this problem..

download Azureus.

much, much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pesky_Postmodernist)
    i had this problem..

download Azureus.

much, much better.
    No it isnt, it just eats up your processor and does the same. If uTorrent is set up correctly (same with any other) it wont make any difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    What is your max upload rate set to? It should be zero, which is unlimited. The share ratio is based on how fast you are uploading. The faster you upload, the faster you download.
    no no no. max upload should be low, very low. 25 kb/s is plenty plenty plenty. i have got 500kb/s+ like this. if you set your upload rate as unlimited, then your connection get's flooded with upstream traffic and cripples your download rates.

3 causes for slow torrents

1. no port forwarding - no incoming connections.
    2. poorly seeded/too many leechers (public sites a rife with this)
    3. flooding your upload speed/ having no upload speed at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronaldo VII)
    From my experience the torrent probably has loads of trackers in it but you wont have access to all. Also, contrary to the above, I get best download speed when my upload is minimal. I dont have 16mb/s upload like some on there so no point wasting my 2mb connection on uploads :p:

What speed is your connection? Who is your ISP? Wired or wireless? You will probably get better connection at night as less people use it, but I can still get maxed at 220kb ish during the day too.
    2mb upload is very good for consumer bb packages.

as a rule of thumb you get 1/10 of your download rate as your upload rate so to get a 2 meg upload you'd probably have to have a 20 mb download.

rule of thumb tho, some are different.

ReputationRep:
    how do you forward a port?

do you have to forward a port by yourself or does utorrent help you do this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pesky_Postmodernist)
    i had this problem..

download Azureus.

much, much better.
    more lies. uTorrent > azureus.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn;t put your uplaod to MAX. Instead you need to 'save' some otherwise it slows everythign down. Mine is set to about 80%

Your ratio is how much you downloaded i nrelation to what you uploaded so if tis 1.00:0.50 - it means (for example) you uplaoded 100mb but only uplaoded 50mb back - most private siets reuqire you to uplaod a certain amount or they block you.

In your case you need to ensure uTorrent is set up properly - se eif the port forward is set up properly

you can see if its set up proeprly bu lookign at the main uTorrent screen - at the bottom - in the middle there hsoudl be a green arrow tick sayins its OK - if its a yellow warnign sign then it means everythign is not OK. you need t open ports to ensure all the traffic can come in and go out.

Otherwise itm ight just be an issue with your ISP or the torrent itself not having enough people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbington)
    how do you forward a port?

do you have to forward a port by yourself or does utorrent help you do this?
    uTorrent has uPnP (universal plug n play) for port forwarding, but if your router doesnt support uPnP then you have to do it yourself

look at the bottom of uTorrent. there is a green tick, or a yellow "!" (or something else?) next to the download rate.

which is it?

ReputationRep:
    your ports are forwarded ok if its green as it is in my picture - that i have arrowed.

if it isn;t set up click on that bit and test your connection - it take su to a site that shows u how to do it

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    mine is like yours, except your D: 245.2kB/s is 10 times mine is atm.

Did you do any configuring when you d/l utorrrnt did u just use the default settings clubber lang?

ReputationRep:
    fairly default.

maybe what you are downlaoding just isnt available much?

i suggest going to mininova.org and trying to downlaod somehting that has LAODS of seenders and leechers (5o each way) and see what happens - thats what mine are and they all hit around 200k at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    out of interest could you give me a link to what you are downloading right now so i can see what speed i get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbington)
    out of interest could you give me a link to what you are downloading right now so i can see what speed i get?
    heres something guaranteed to max your connection

http://releases.ubuntu.com/feisty/ub...86.iso.torrent

bare in mind that the torrent you are downloading is swamped with peers and i am guessing it's a public tracker (since you are asking these questions i doubt you have a private tracker account) so many of the peers may just be leeching what they can get and sharing nothing back. its the one downside of torrents. you just have to put up with it on public trackers. still, i usuallt get 50 - 150 on most torrents on public trackers

ReputationRep:
    check ur pm

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.