The Student Room Group

Re applying for Nursing but not stating previous course upon UCAS ? Advice please

Hi,
Please do not judge me before reading this, I am just 9edb iejfdo
You mean you ve attended university in the past?
Reply 2
Hi,

Please do not judge me before reading this, I am just in a predicament and genuinely don’t know what to do. Any advice/options would be sorely appreciated and apologises if this is the wrong area

I recently got dismissed from my nursing course due to failing because of personal circumstances I was struggling with & thought I could manage it. I am in a lot better place than before and I am determined not to give up just because I had a difficult patch, nursing is well and truly what I want to do. However, I have contacted my local universities where I wish to apply as they have different policies and none of them can accept me and due to personal circumstances/home life with children etc. (I’m a mature student) I can only apply locally because of other commitments

I know it isn’t ideal and I don’t recommend it but I feel as if I am out of options. If I was to re apply to my chosen universities and not include that I was in higher education before/on another course previously, what are the chances of them finding out? I understand if I get caught I would have my application withdrawn/thrown off the course but I just genuinely feel in a limbo at the minute

Thank you
Hi,

I trained in medicine a while ago and have several qualifications, biomedical and other. I have known some nurses, and i know for a fact that nursing is a greatly satisfying profession, and I fully understand that you are disappointed with the way things have gone against you.

However, do not despair, as these types of problems with family, circumstances, stress, etc. are seen in a very different light than in past times.

I will try and speak to a friend who became a nurse in her late forties (when her children were grown up, unlike you with young children) and see what she has to say.

I had a colleague/friend in one degree who actually lied about not doing a course before (although he had done one) in order to get a grant (before the days of loans!) - he did fine, but that is not to say I am advising you to do the same - the final decision has to be yours.

If you need help with any entrance exams or other qualifications, let me know - my nickname is Sheldon!!

Good luck! ND REMEMBER< IT IS A RULE OF NATURE THAT EVERYTHING WORKS OUT FOR THE BEST IN THE END - There is ALWAYS a light at the end of the tunnel, but as the tunnel may be zigzag, you may not see that light at first.
Reply 4
Thank you for your advice and help macpatelgh, I don't know if it's worth the risk but I guess all I can do is try even if I do get withdrawn!
Reply 5
Hi - this post was suppose to say

Hi, Please do not judge me before reading this, I am just in a predicament and genuinely don’t know what to do. Any advice/options would be sorely appreciated and apologises if this is the wrong area I recently got dismissed from my nursing course due to failing because of personal circumstances I was struggling with & thought I could manage it. I am in a lot better place than before and I am determined not to give up just because I had a difficult patch, nursing is well and truly what I want to do. However, I have contacted my local universities where I wish to apply as they have different policies and none of them can accept me and due to personal circumstances/home life with children etc. (I’m a mature student) I can only apply locally because of other commitments I know it isn’t ideal and I don’t recommend it but I feel as if I am out of options. If I was to re apply to my chosen universities and not include that I was in higher education before/on another course previously, what are the chances of them finding out? I understand if I get caught I would have my application withdrawn/thrown off the course but I just genuinely feel in a limbo at the minute Thank you
Reply 6
Out of interest why won't they accept you?? I'm not much help but I've heard a few times on here unis being abit arsey about accepting students who have previously "failed" (hate that word! Prefer over challenged maybe!) and I don't quite understand why?? Surely we all deserve second chances? It's mega unfair. I wish you all the best. I personally would be honest just because youl have it hanging over you and youl never proper enjoy it with that looming over you. Maybe better than you think! Xx
Reply 7
Hi wbnurse,
The universities I have contacted won't accept me as it's there policy not to accept people onto the same course who have previously failed 😞 I don't think it is fair either as we all deserve a second chance! If I didn't have other responsibilities I would apply else where but cause of home life I am restricted. I am told if I was to apply to these universities if I am honest they will decline my application. I just don't know if it's worth the risk just not to mention it or not to apply at all. I just feel like I have no other option if I want to try and suceed at all ☹️ Thank you for your kind words
Reply 8
Original post by Dannie0
Hi wbnurse,
The universities I have contacted won't accept me as it's there policy not to accept people onto the same course who have previously failed 😞 I don't think it is fair either as we all deserve a second chance! If I didn't have other responsibilities I would apply else where but cause of home life I am restricted. I am told if I was to apply to these universities if I am honest they will decline my application. I just don't know if it's worth the risk just not to mention it or not to apply at all. I just feel like I have no other option if I want to try and suceed at all ☹️ Thank you for your kind words

Wow. That is so harsh. I wouldn't risk it because I'd imagine you'd flag up or whatever I'm not sure. Do you think there will ever be a time that you could go out of your area abit? I only applied to my local uni too as my children are young and at the time I didn't drive. I can drive now but I had to car share anyway. But I do understand what you mean. Don't forget though you'd be 50% placement so half the year you wouldn't be attending the university. Why don't you look into doing an open university course? Il be honest I'm not quite sure how it works but I do think you have to arrange your own placements etc. Other than that maybe hang on see if family life improves and you could apply elsewhere. You are NEVER too old to be a nurse :smile: people shouldn't mention age when trying to better themselves! X
Reply 9
I'm sorry you're in this position, the risk is, even if you apply without mentioning your previous course, if you were accepted onto a course and then your deception came to light, it would not end well :-( if it was me, I wouldn't risk it.

I know it's not ideal, but given your limitations this may be an alternative route:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-nursing-degree-apprenticeship

Doesn't matter how long it takes or what form it comes in, so long as you get to the end result eventually.

Hope you find a solution. All the best.
Reply 10
Original post by wbnurse
Wow. That is so harsh. I wouldn't risk it because I'd imagine you'd flag up or whatever I'm not sure. Do you think there will ever be a time that you could go out of your area abit? I only applied to my local uni too as my children are young and at the time I didn't drive. I can drive now but I had to car share anyway. But I do understand what you mean. Don't forget though you'd be 50% placement so half the year you wouldn't be attending the university. Why don't you look into doing an open university course? Il be honest I'm not quite sure how it works but I do think you have to arrange your own placements etc. Other than that maybe hang on see if family life improves and you could apply elsewhere. You are NEVER too old to be a nurse :smile: people shouldn't mention age when trying to better themselves! X

I have tried to go out of my way a little bit but I think other factors such as grades have had implications on getting accepted know what I mean? My level 3 results are great but my level 2 qualifications are just acceptable however most of them aren't GCSE so they have to be flexiable with qualifications also, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet but I feel like taking the risk is the only chance i have but I'm just starting to think is all much more hassle than it's worth 😞 Home life is going great and my situation has improved from before, I just am so worried incase I apply to these universities and I get caught out whilst being on the course, it's more time wasted which I don't need ☹️ Xxx hopefully it'll all work out in the end
Reply 11
Original post by Fleuves
I'm sorry you're in this position, the risk is, even if you apply without mentioning your previous course, if you were accepted onto a course and then your deception came to light, it would not end well :-( if it was me, I wouldn't risk it.

I know it's not ideal, but given your limitations this may be an alternative route:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-nursing-degree-apprenticeship

Doesn't matter how long it takes or what form it comes in, so long as you get to the end result eventually.

Hope you find a solution. All the best.

Thank you fleuves 😟 Do you think the chances of my deception coming to light is likely? I think sometimes surely there must be plenty of people who don't include qualifications, I just don't want to waste anymore time if the chances are high and I'm better not risking it ☹️
Original post by Dannie0
Thank you fleuves 😟 Do you think the chances of my deception coming to light is likely? I think sometimes surely there must be plenty of people who don't include qualifications, I just don't want to waste anymore time if the chances are high and I'm better not risking it ☹️

I just think, in any health profession, because integrity is so essential for the role you would serve, if it did come to light the repercussions would be too severe. :-( I do think it's very unfair that this is happening to you. If students are excluded on the basis of intentional dangerous practice or some kind of criminal conviction then that's obviously understandable, but if you failed the year due to personal circumstances and you've had some time out and you are persevering, it is really rubbish that the providers can't make accommodations for this.

I would think all of the course providers within the proximity to each other that you note due to your home situ could have the potential to find out ... they have to communicate with each other to collaborate from time to time ... even if your name never came up, you might get onto a course and then spend your time worrying yourself half to death about it?

The apprenticeship is an alternative that will be much more open to flexible admissions. You might also find that a provider elsewhere in the country would be able to accommodate you, and if so then maybe consider relocating ... I know it's not ideal when you have kids, but kids adapt to change better than most adults, though if you live where you do because you have family supporting you RE childcare, that's different :-(

You have my every sympathy
Reply 13
Hi,

Please do not judge me before reading this, I am just in a predicament and genuinely don’t know what to do. Any advice/options would be sorely appreciated and apologises if this is the wrong area

I recently got dismissed from my nursing course due to failing because of personal circumstances I was struggling with & thought I could manage it. I am in a lot better place than before and I am determined not to give up just because I had a difficult patch, nursing is well and truly what I want to do. However, I have contacted my local universities where I wish to apply as they have different policies and none of them can accept me and due to personal circumstances/home life with children etc. (I’m a mature student) I can only apply locally because of other commitments

I know it isn’t ideal and I don’t recommend it but I feel as if I am out of options. If I was to re apply to my chosen universities and not include that I was in higher education before/on another course previously, what are the chances of them finding out? I understand if I get caught I would have my application withdrawn/thrown off the course but I just genuinely feel in a limbo at the minute

Thank you
Original post by Dannie0
Hi,

Thank you

The chances of them finding out are pretty much 100%.
It's fraud. Don't do it.
huge FtP issue if it comes to light , the NMC may refuse your registration even if you sucessfully defraud the HEI in inquestion as the details of all students are passed to the NMC ( not sure if your PIN is still issued on entry or if they stopped with the death of the ENB - certainly when i was pre-reg we knew our PINs from early i nthe course)
it will be funded by the same folks so dont do it. have you considered trying the open university route. you would need to be sponsored by an employer so will need a care assistant post. maybe speak to the first uni again tell them how your lifes altered they may be willing to try you again. you could consider a part time course to reduce stress. if your very determined their will be a way.
@Dannie0 I was in a similar situation to you, I started my adult nursing course previously and withdrew due to personal reasons, but I didn't hide this from UCAS, I wrote about this in my personal statement and I wrote about what I learned and how it will help me in my next journey going for the same course, I am better prepared and know what to expect. Don't let it beat you, we both can do this and help each other xxx :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending