Turn on thread page Beta

I've just had a look on the Warwick website at some of the logic handouts/exam questions and it looks really hard! I've never been good with formulas… . I'm worried that if I do go for this course I'll struggle with stuff like that. Any tips? Thanks .

ReputationRep:
    (Starting single hons philosophy in October)

I've heard that many philosophers dislike formal logic. But personally, I quite enjoyed it when I tried some of it for myself and I'm sure there are many who love it. In any case, there's only the introduction to formal logic module in the first year and couple of others for which an aquaintance with the material in the introduction will be a prerequisite. However, I'd imagine that you could work your way round it in the second and third years if you didn't fancy it.

If you want a book, then I'd recommend 'Logic' by Paul Tomassi. Otherwise, the core text for the introduction to formal logic module is Language Proof and Logic. The latter is around double the cost though (about £40?)

I found it a bit like maths, you learn rules, and apply them to certain situations. I also found it far more interesting than maths. You'll probably find it easier as you try some of the exercises.

I haven't done the course though, so I'm sure others will have much more useful advice. I wouldn't let it put you off though.

Edit: btw, I'd expect any respectable undergraduate philosophy course to have a formal logic aspect. I don't know about comparative difficulty between institutions though.

Did anyone else find this hard when they first started the course. I mean, do they teach you how to get your head around this sort of stuff: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/ph...modules/ph126/

Wow! We posted at the same time. Hang on, let me read your post first:rolleyes:

I think most courses do. I just found some of the formulas quite confusing. I've never been brilliant at maths but I'm sure, if I try, I'll be able to get the hang of it. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laus)
    Wow! We posted at the same time. Hang on, let me read your post first:rolleyes:
    Yeah, I think that as well as the lectures there are exercise classes that you go to. Also, you'll have the textbook. If you were really having trouble then I'm sure they'd be happy to help. But seriously, when I flicked through 'Logic' I thought that it looked insane. After reading, and trying some exercises I was fine.

ReputationRep:
    yaay finally other philosophers i thought i was the only doing single honours philosophy :-O

ive never done logic before, i dont even know what it involves...

I might not be doing straight philosophy. Have you applied?.

If you want to have a look at some of the logic handouts they give you at Warwick: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/ph...modules/ph126/

I'm going to see if I can find a book today. Thanks for your help, phantom.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all Laus.

Yeaaaah, everyone seems to be doing philosophy with this, philosophy with that. I remember at the open day, the HOD said they only had around 30 or so single hons philosophers out of 100+ philosophers.

Seems like a big department.

ReputationRep:
    yeah thats quite a lot, the thing is i havent even been down to see the uni, so i know very little about the department and the uni :-O im really looking forward to studying philo at uni level, my lessons at college were so much fun, hope the people doing the course are cool

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm a third year (single honours ) Philosophy student, I just thought I'd drop in to reassure people! Logic *is* probably one of the most hideous things you'll ever do whilst at university, and most students hate it. However, it's not that bad, and once you start learning it all the horrible equations begin to look less worrying. You're also offered a lot of support.

In my first year I was regularly failing every logic test I did after a whole term of the subject, but by the time the exams came around I could manage enough of it to pass without a problem. So don't let it worry you!

Swarmy - thanks! That's very reassuring. You'll have to help us if we gain a place! Is it worth purchasing a book on it? I suppose some practice in my gap year wouldn't hurt. I'm dyslexic so I find algebra/formulas and the like pretty hard to grasp.
    Do you know much about the joint honours in English Lit and Philosophy? I.e. is it any good?!

ReputationRep:
    I loved logic at Warwick, never done it before either and not particularily good at maths, just get a good book like Tomassi's Logic. And do your weekly problem sheets. (I got 67% yay).

ReputationRep:
    I just did the Logic course last year. The lectures were really quite boring, consisting mostly in a Powerpoint of the formal rules. The book is really expensive for what it is. But it really isn't that hard, I thought it looked frightening on the website. The philosophy society had some really good logic sessions throughout the second term and then in the third for revisions, and that's where I learnt it all. In fact, despite hating the course, at 83% it was my best mark...

ReputationRep:
    I've managed to 'teach' logic of this level to a few friends for an exam in just 2 days, so I wouldn't say it's too hard considering they don't exactly spend their time with stuff like this.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.