The Student Room Group

Worst / Pointless degree's?

Scroll to see replies

All of them.
Original post by Rhythmical
I hate these sorts of threads asking for the worst or most pointless degree because quite frankly, people can choose to do whatever degree they want regardless of the purpose of studying or doing a degree then finding a job in that field. No degree is the worst or pointless, and no one can judge that. Every degree has value, it's whether or not people to choose to use their degree, however with unemployment levels rising, it's hard to find a job. Why does it matter if someone graduated with a first in Media and Communications as opposed to Medicine, as long as they are doing something they enjoy, your opinion shouldn't matter to them.

In before "People doing Mickey Mouse subjects should go and do apprenticeships as their worthless degree costs money which could be funded else by Student Finance."

I disagree.

If degrees were funded entirely by the individual, then fair enough, study whatever you want. Unfortunately, the tax payer contributes towards the degree. It's up to the individual to make an informed choice regarding higher education, because of the financial burden a degree is to society. If you are paying £9000 in tuition fee alone, it's in your best interest to ensure you are being provided with a skillset that is employable, relevant and significantly increases your knowledge of a particular subject. If it doesn't meet that criteria, then why go? What's the purpose of that degree?

I'd say there are definitely courses that are 'worse' than others, and that some are a little pointless.

Unemployment rates are decreasing, I thought? The graduate job market is already overly saturated.

In my opinion, if you could learn everything you're taught from a couple of textbooks and the internet, then you are wasting £9000 a year.
Original post by Percypig17
This is obviously going to end up with a bunch of people trashing humanities and social sciences, but subjects like Law, PPE, and Economics at the top universities are all highly sought after and employable degrees and probably a lot more employable than something like Biochemistry at Birmingham. tbf I think the university you go to matters a lot more than the degree subject in most cases,

It is beyond me how you reached that conclusion.
Anything which has "studies" at the end of it.
maths and biology in that order
Original post by gr8wizard10

Troll or srs?

sneaky change.
There are the easy targets like art and media studies, but I would suggest a usually quite respected degree: English.

I really don't see the point of it.

"Oh, but I understand the books I read so much better.." lol.
STEM or GTFO, amirite, OP? :wink:
The only job title a women's studies graduate will ever have is full time "victim".
Original post by hezzlington
sneaky change.

realised some of the importance of physics so couldn't use that. otherwise maths is practically a pointless subject to learn and biology is for the kids that failed to get into med.

Original post by xbiostudentx
Troll or srs?

very much so, bare in mind this is my personal opinion taken from views and experiences i've accumulated in my life
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Len Goodman
The only job title a women's studies graduate will ever have is full time "victim".

Professional victims are high in demand.
Original post by Len Goodman

I'm sure that would get a 10 from Len, if Len was scoring it amirite?
realised some of the importance of physics so couldn't use that. otherwise maths is practically a pointless subject to learn and biology is for the kids that failed to get into med.

I do agree that the actual content you learn is pointless. It's more about the transferrable skills though.

very much so, bare in mind this is my personal opinion taken from views and experiences i've accumulated in my life

What specifically do you consider important in physics?
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
STEM or GTFO, amirite, OP? :wink:

Because law degrees and PPE are so unimportant, *****y humanities subjects and the people that get them only go and run the country amirite?

STEMtards piss me off too Nirvana :smile:
Original post by Percypig17
This is obviously going to end up with a bunch of people trashing humanities and social sciences, but subjects like Law, PPE, and Economics at the top universities are all highly sought after and employable degrees and probably a lot more employable than something like Biochemistry at Birmingham. tbf I think the university you go to matters a lot more than the degree subject in most cases,

thoroughly agree, name brand unis carry more weighting in the practical relevance of gaining well-paid jobs
Original post by xbiostudentx
I do agree that the actual content you learn is pointless. It's more about the transferrable skills though.

this can be said about any degree :smile:
Original post by Moonstruck16
I know it's the Christmas holidays, but is your life really so dull that you have to start a thread on a topic that has been brought up so often that it instantly makes you look like an idiot?
Well you went in on OP 😎.
Original post by Connor27
Because law degrees and PPE are so unimportant, *****y humanities subjects and the people that get them only go and run the country amirite?

STEMtards piss me off too Nirvana :smile:

Haha, I aim to be as sarcastic as you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending