Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anybody doing OCR Physics Spec. B ??????????? This is the only Physics my COllege offers and ive heard it sux..... Someone reasure me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I did it...only spec my school offered as well. I didn't find it that bad, but the IOP textbook does suck. It's more of a history of physics book than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    I did it...only spec my school offered as well. I didn't find it that bad, but the IOP textbook does suck. It's more of a history of physics book than anything else.

Cool... Can you give me an insight into the course?

Also, if the textbooks are about the history of physics rather than the actual physics does that mean that alot of the syllabus content will also be the history of physics?

And if the textbooks are no use than how did you revise? Does the syllabus cover the same content as other boards, and if so can you use textbooks or study guides which are based on syllabuses of other boards?

.... :confused:

Im getting nervous as ive heard so many negative comments about Physics OCR B................

ReputationRep:
    I will do OCR(B) physics this September too.
    Go to see the OCR website yourself. It will tell you all you asked.

ReputationRep:
    the "history of physics" bit is a bit of an exaggeration, and it isnt on the syllabus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    the "history of physics" bit is a bit of an exaggeration, and it isnt on the syllabus
    No, it's not on the syllabus (although you are expected to show understanding of physics in a wider context in your coursework), but the book has only a few meagre questions for you to try for every unit, and the rest is just waffle about the history and development of physics. It's not helpful.

The OCR website does have a copy of the spec and specimen papers for you to have a look at.

ReputationRep:
    This is the worst physics course ever, just finished it, and soooo totally wish I'd done edexcel instead....text book was useless, the exam changed every year, the mark scheme is wierd and the questions are plain stupid.

Get out while you can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bogot)
    This is the worst physics course ever, just finished it, and soooo totally wish I'd done edexcel instead....text book was useless, the exam changed every year, the mark scheme is wierd and the questions are plain stupid.

Get out while you can

How can i get out of it if its the only physics offered, and i want to do engineering...............????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bogot)
    the exam changed every year
    that's normal, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Don't. It is a perfectly well respected physics course and if you do NOT take it, you will most probally not get any offers for engineering courses.

I have had a look through the specification and the exams and they seem fine. There is a small section where you have to use your own physics knowledge to solve problems, which seems quite good actually. Do not worry about the content or quality of this course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    I have had a look through the specification and the exams and they seem fine. There is a small section where you have to use your own physics knowledge to solve problems, which seems quite good actually. Do not worry about the content or quality of this course.
    See, approval from a physicist.

ReputationRep:
    Advancing Physics was the only physics course offered by my college and I thought it was great! A load of the other students taking it dropped out after the first year, or groaned a lot, because "theres more electronics than physics". This was hardly the case. There was a bit about series and parallel circuits, but nothing you wouldn't know if you hadn't done GCSE electronics. In the second year you study charge decay on a capacitor, but this is really just an example they use to teach exponential decay, like in radiation, as the two are exactly the same.

If you take Maths as well the two really complement each other, especially if you can do a lot of mechanics modules (might need to do further maths for some of these, depends on your college). For instance, I took Further maths in my first year along side regular maths and at the end of the first year I sat Mechanics 2 (on the AQA-A spec, the one with methods). The circular motion stuff in this was practically all the maths I needed for physics in the second year. Also, if you are familiar with trig and resolution of forces it can help. We had this one teacher who at the start of a lesson gave us a diagram and told us to resolve the force (if you don't know what it means, don't worry, you will). Long story short, we all used Cosine rule to do it in 5 minutes, he told us we were all wrong for using the "poncy mathematicians way" and set about doing it on the board from first principles. One hour later he still didn't have the right answer. :rolleyes:

Anyway, don't worry about the course, you'll love it and of course it's respected: the institute of physics wrote it!

Ollie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesertBeagle)
    Advancing Physics was the only physics course offered by my college and I thought it was great! A load of the other students taking it dropped out after the first year, or groaned a lot, because "theres more electronics than physics". This was hardly the case. There was a bit about series and parallel circuits, but nothing you wouldn't know if you hadn't done GCSE electronics. In the second year you study charge decay on a capacitor, but this is really just an example they use to teach exponential decay, like in radiation, as the two are exactly the same.

If you take Maths as well the two really complement each other, especially if you can do a lot of mechanics modules (might need to do further maths for some of these, depends on your college). For instance, I took Further maths in my first year along side regular maths and at the end of the first year I sat Mechanics 2 (on the AQA-A spec, the one with methods). The circular motion stuff in this was practically all the maths I needed for physics in the second year. Also, if you are familiar with trig and resolution of forces it can help. We had this one teacher who at the start of a lesson gave us a diagram and told us to resolve the force (if you don't know what it means, don't worry, you will). Long story short, we all used Cosine rule to do it in 5 minutes, he told us we were all wrong for using the "poncy mathematicians way" and set about doing it on the board from first principles. One hour later he still didn't have the right answer. :rolleyes:

Anyway, don't worry about the course, you'll love it and of course it's respected: the institute of physics wrote it!

Ollie
    Yep, I agree... Physics B is good, although you have to persevere, and the best way to learn the course is through the syllabus/exam papers, and not the rubbish textbook!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesertBeagle)

Ollie

OK, so if the course is great how did you study for it, coz the textbook is crap. Did you use studyguides written for other boards?

ReputationRep:
    My physics cource was rubbish. Not only was i doing Advancing Physics (AS that is ) but i had a foreign teacher that i found very difficult to understand.
    My results will be coming out tomorrow and i will be amazed if i get any higher that a '[email protected] at tis rate!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ginge769)
    i will be amazed if i get any higher that a '[email protected]
    A cat?

(Original post by __WiZaRD__)
    OK, so if the course is great how did you study for it, coz the textbook is crap. Did you use studyguides written for other boards?
    You can look at the syllabus and research it yourself using the Internet or other books...also past exam papers are a help.

ReputationRep:
    I did this physics syllabus this year for AS and just got my results, It was an A yay. But now I'm dropping it for many reasons I cant b bothered to type out now. I think the course was really hard to begin with but really easy to revise for at the end. I loved the textbook but I hated the CD. The CD didnt have similar questions to what we would get in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    I got an A, yay!

ReputationRep:
    I got an A this year in A level OCR Physics B and I only got a B at gcse Physics.

Admittedly the textbook does leave much to be desired, our teachers used their own notes for our lessons, and most of it was verbal interaction. We only used the textbooks for historical context and quick answer questions. As other people have said the CD-rom was a waste of time I only used it to do the modelling sequences which are about as advanced as the old BBC computer programs.

The best way of revising we found was trying as many past papers as possible and then going through the answers as a class or in small groups.

I think this course is one of the easier science courses (I should know I did 3 sciences and maths) and the easiest one to do well in. They've taken out all the difficult maths to make it accessible to people who aren't taking A level Maths, and my Maths is pants because I only got a C in it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.