username2941052
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is anyone here currently in the MSc Robotics course at the University of Bristol or is familiar with it?

What are the pros/cons? Do you like it? How is the teaching, projects, etc.

Any information would be appreciated!
adamsuwaidi
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lunalights)
Is anyone here currently in the MSc Robotics course at the University of Bristol or is familiar with it?

What are the pros/cons? Do you like it? How is the teaching, projects, etc.

Any information would be appreciated!
I know this is over 2 years ago, but what did you end up doing? It’s funny cause I’m interested in doing Msc robotics and have looked at both uni of Bristol & KCL, hope you see this !
username2941052
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by adamsuwaidi)
I know this is over 2 years ago, but what did you end up doing? It’s funny cause I’m interested in doing Msc robotics and have looked at both uni of Bristol & KCL, hope you see this !
Good thing I still get email notifications from here! I did end up doing the MSc robotics course at Bristol, I just finished last month. I really liked it overall. Do you have any specific questions? Feel free to message me!
adamsuwaidi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good thing I still get email notifications from here! I did end up doing the MSc robotics course at Bristol, I just finished last month. I really liked it overall. Do you have any specific questions? Feel free to message me!
Well the questions I have are basically the ones you originally asked 2 years ago & I suppose now you are able to answer them! So yeh what are the pros/cons & teaching etc
username2941052
Rep:
?
Well the questions I have are basically the ones you originally asked 2 years ago & I suppose now you are able to answer them! So yeh what are the pros/cons & teaching etc
I would say some pros: good lecturers (mostly), plenty of resources, course covers many different areas in robotics, interesting projects, can carry out your dissertation at the Bristol Robotics Lab, BRL has research in so many areas of robotics
As for cons: not as much hands-on experience with robots as you might hope, a lot of independent study (but I would assume this is the case for most masters programs, so not sure if it's really a con!), you don't get as much involvement at the BRL until your dissertation

I thought the teaching was mostly good--I had many great lecturers. There were one or two that weren't great, but I would think you'd get that anywhere.
adamsuwaidi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would say some pros: good lecturers (mostly), plenty of resources, course covers many different areas in robotics, interesting projects, can carry out your dissertation at the Bristol Robotics Lab, BRL has research in so many areas of robotics
As for cons: not as much hands-on experience with robots as you might hope, a lot of independent study (but I would assume this is the case for most masters programs, so not sure if it's really a con!), you don't get as much involvement at the BRL until your dissertation

I thought the teaching was mostly good--I had many great lecturers. There were one or two that weren't great, but I would think you'd get that anywhere.
Thanks for the insight! How tough was the course & did you feel like there was a lot pressure ? And also how do you feel about Bristol as a city & the social scene at the uni? I have too many questions 😅 I’ll be applying as an international student 😁
Analyst89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's a Udacity nanodegree in robotics which has projects to increase your employability chances in this field. Just an option.
username2941052
Rep:
?
Thanks for the insight! How tough was the course & did you feel like there was a lot pressure ? And also how do you feel about Bristol as a city & the social scene at the uni? I have too many questions 😅 I’ll be applying as an international student 😁
I'd say the course is reasonably tough but it also depends on your background. I studied mechanical engineering and thought it prepared me well for this degree, but everyone in the course had very diverse backgrounds like other engineering, computer science, physics, math, and even biology and psychology. Although the non-tech degrees seemed to have to work a bit harder to understand the concepts. Because there's so much independent learning you're expected to do, it does take up a lot of your time, but it really depends on your study habits and definitely doable.

I really liked Bristol as a city, there's a lot of things to do. There's a lot of people on the course, so it's easy to meet people, and there's a lot of social events (especially at the beginning of of the year) to help you do that.

I'm also an international student, and I think the majority of people on the course were as well.

I'm happy to answer any more questions, don't feel like you're asking too much! I know when I was in your position I had a lot of questions too.
RoboBoy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi lunalights

I would like to know what kind of job offers International students get after doing MSc Robotics at Bristol ?
username2941052
Rep:
?
(Original post by RoboBoy)
Hi lunalights

I would like to know what kind of job offers International students get after doing MSc Robotics at Bristol ?
I'm not sure about all the job offers, as I myself am continuing studies and doing a PhD, but I know for example one of my classmates got a job offer at Dyson after the course. So there's definitely opportunities out there, but I'm afraid I don't have much information on that.
A Mockingbird
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by username2941052)
I'd say the course is reasonably tough but it also depends on your background. I studied mechanical engineering and thought it prepared me well for this degree, but everyone in the course had very diverse backgrounds like other engineering, computer science, physics, math, and even biology and psychology. Although the non-tech degrees seemed to have to work a bit harder to understand the concepts. Because there's so much independent learning you're expected to do, it does take up a lot of your time, but it really depends on your study habits and definitely doable.

I really liked Bristol as a city, there's a lot of things to do. There's a lot of people on the course, so it's easy to meet people, and there's a lot of social events (especially at the beginning of of the year) to help you do that.

I'm also an international student, and I think the majority of people on the course were as well.

I'm happy to answer any more questions, don't feel like you're asking too much! I know when I was in your position I had a lot of questions too.
Don't know if you will see this but might as well ask. I'm also studying mechanical engineering and will be looking to apply for this course. What level of programming experience( if any) did you have before applying? Did you have any experience with robotics before applying? If so please elaborate.
mkumaravel7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi, I have applied and got admission for the same at UOB, it is a collaborative course between the university of west of England and the University of Bristol right?so will we be spending most of the time at the university of west or the university of bristol?and also the MSc Degree certificate comes from which university?since I am an international student, near which university should I look for accommodations?
Hemanth Joseph
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi, I recently received an admit to the M.Sc. in Robotics at the University of Bristol. This discussion thread has been very useful but would like to know more about the job scenario after studies for the program, especially for international students.
Ash3636
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I am an offer holder for September 2020 intake. I am currently doing my BE in Mechanical Engineering. I would like to know how much expertise in robotics do you need to do well in the course. Like how much programming experience do we need or what are the best things to do/learn before starting the academic year. I have some experience in Python, C and ROS and I am completing an undergraduate thesis on a 4-wheeled robot. Please let me know your thoughts. It will help a lot.
frkn_cm
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by username2941052)

I would like to know what level was your programming language skill before started to Bristol robotic program and what level programming background can be considered as proficiency. I got an offer from Bristol Robotics program, however I don't know whether I compatible for that. So please help me
account050397
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey, I’ve found this thread quite useful so thank you! I’m considering going back into education and curious whether you’ve taken up a job in robotics or more education following your MSc?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (619)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (773)
42.06%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.8%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.46%

Watched Threads