The Student Room Group

Is Waitrose that posh?

Scroll to see replies

Not unless someone else is paid to do the shopping for you.
Original post by ladybuggs
But to answer the original question: Yes Waitrose is posh, the only people I even met who shop there like to boast about how they shop there because it makes them feel superior....Which is likely why you asked the question, you already knew the answer, just wanted to let people know you have money. :tongue:

You're right that I wanted to let people know I have money :tongue:
Original post by Rakas21
Yes. Yes it is.

Waitrose basically wins every supermarket award that does not relate to price and only goes as far as price matching Tesco. It's where you go for quality and a nice experience, not cost.

I agree, but I don't think it makes me posh if I go to Waitrose and buy some things I can't find in Sainsbury's. I guess the definition of "posh" is different with various people. :dontknow:
Original post by barnetlad
We have a cat greets us at our local Waitrose. She is a local legend.

Image 01-10-2016 at 19.46.jpg

I'd shop at Waitrose just to see this cat tbh
Original post by ayycrow
if you shop at waitrose youre gay

I'm actually gay so that's handy.
Original post by Glassapple
You're right that I wanted to let people know I have money :tongue:

* your dad’s money 😶
I work at Waitrose and I mainly see people who don't seem to be exactly living rough. It's quite nice actually, I've only seen an instance of two idiots making a ruckus at the shop once. It is also stated after some survey that it is the #1 shop of choice among Middle-class, I suppose a statement like that is only going to bolster that 'stereotype' as people shop there to feel that middle-class robe feeling snug around them.
Reply 27
Original post by barnetlad
We have a cat greets us at our local Waitrose. She is a local legend.

Image 01-10-2016 at 19.46.jpg

Original post by Ze Witcher
That cat looks pretty depressed if you ask me.

omg, it's face, it's posture,

It looks like it's a member of the security team..........

I mean seriously.
Reply 28
I do find shopping at M&S and Waitrose a more pleasant experience, particularly M&S.

Unfortunately, I sometimes have to go into Sainsbury's and Tesco, which I find extremely unpleasant. I also find Lidl unpleasant.

The Asda in my town isn't so bad because it doesn't get crowded and for some reason, it's situated in one of the nicer parts of town. Unfortunately, it is a bit of a distance for me, so I stick to M&S and Waitrose.
Original post by JohnGreek
Yep, Waitrose is for solid middle class. It's fairly obvious from their pricing, and availability of nicer foods that you can only really find use for if you a) have the time and money to cook for yourself, and b) have the experience/willingness to cook more exotic dishes (by English standards).

...Que? It's far far far cheaper to cook for yourself.

Original post by JohnGreek
Shame that they don't have any large supermarkets in Central London - Waitrose Express (or whatever it's called) just feels like a re-branded Sainsbury's Local.

Off the top of my head there's a pretty big one in Marylebone, and also down Finchley Road.
Original post by AmeliaLost
Off the top of my head there's a pretty big one in Marylebone

Maybe you've seen me in that one, I frequently shop there.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Nuba123
okie dokie xxx
do these words/phrases make you cring:
peng
buff ting
sound as
brap
wagwan
was gwanin
peak
lit

I'm not posh but those phrases make me cringe. Anyone who isn't lower class/ghetto cringes at this.
Yes. People who shop at waitrose are annoying snobs.
Local waitrose can mean 5 min or more of waiting to be checked out. They don't have self service and never good deals compared to the asda right next to it. Waste of time.
Original post by Glassapple
This afternoon I'd just come out of Waitrose, walking down the road with two of its bags, when some chavs shouted at me. They said I was a "posh ****", who "thinks he's all that", and that I should "give us a fiver each or else", which I didn't do. Is it really that posh to be young and shop in Waitrose?

Well, yes. Its posh but not REALLY posh. Also, the people who shouted at you were chavs. So i mean, you probably seem even posher to them - especially as you paid for the bags too
Reply 35
I work at Waitrose and honestly I see a real range of people coming in (at least in the shop where I work). Obviously we sell some slightly more obscure things which 'posher' people may desire to use more frequently (like quails eggs, caviar or vine leaves) than not so 'posh' people but generally I think there is a mix, perhaps leaning slightly more to the posh side if I had to pick a side!
Original post by ANM775
omg, it's face, it's posture,

It looks like it's a member of the security team..........

I mean seriously.

Guard cat is what most shoppers think!.
Reply 37
Waitrose is going DOWNHILL fast, I wanted a job there (again) sooooo bad, finally got it but I want to quit... AGAIN. it’s because they just seem to have lost all standards, the management is ridiculously rude, they hired Chavy people who I have to work alongside, it’s just not what it used to be anymore... a lot of customers I talk to say they’ve started going to Lidl and such instead for most their shopping.
Reply 38
Original post by ebickers
Well, yes. Its posh but not REALLY posh. Also, the people who shouted at you were chavs. So i mean, you probably seem even posher to them - especially as you paid for the bags too

Chavs don't use bags?! They aren't actually expensive...
I went grocery shopping for the week at Waitrose once and ended up spending my maintenance loan

Quick Reply

Latest