Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why can't an encrypted, invite-only mesh wireless mesh network be set up for students to p2p with (by students, obviously, not staff)

Surely it's possible.... does one exist? *see's new little project coming along*
    EDIT: Obviously seperate from campus internet + RESNET
    Steve

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, theoretically its exempt from the AUP...I bet Accomodation/ITS won't be happy though. Sounds like a good idea, ITS shouldn't care as it won't affect the bandwidth on their network.

ReputationRep:
    you mean a wifi network just for file transfering between students? as in connected from a ISP outside the campus?...could work...

as in you need a few wifi routers within each hall...

ReputationRep:
    nice idea

ReputationRep:
    This is an idea that im sure gets discussed every year, and just like the year just gone, will not be put into practice.

ReputationRep:
    well, it wouldn't be connected in an ISP outside warwick, the connection would just get overloaded. It would just be for p2p within warwick. Well, if I have some free time (doubtful) i'll see if I can knock up a prototype...

ReputationRep:
    If it happens ill eat my hat

(Original post by castroneves)
    If it happens ill eat my hat
    you have so many hats! Which one would you sacrifice to be eaten?

And yes this kind of thing gets talked about every year on forums like this but it won't happen.

ReputationRep:
    Another thought: how do you intend on linking all of the halls of residence together, i doubt the network can reach all the way to Lakeside. It would be very effective inside Rootes though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timekeeper)
    Another thought: how do you intend on linking all of the halls of residence together, i doubt the network can reach all the way to Lakeside. It would be very effective inside Rootes though!
    Granted. In the main campus area a mesh network, if everyone worked together to put it into practice it would be very effective. But people wont so itll be as effective as an iron lifejacket.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, but what range does laptop wireless have? Would it even be able to span Whitefields?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timekeeper)
    Yeh, but what range does laptop wireless have? Would it even be able to span Whitefields?
    I believe its ten to fifteen metres, as on a good day i could just pick up wireless from the union in my room.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.