Blup59
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello everyone,

I know a lot of you say we shouldn't pick our university choices by reputation but my problem is I'm an international student( french actually). I would really like to study in the uk next year for the culture, student life, very different way of teaching etc I'd really like to find a university with a good reputation so that if I decide to study in french for my postgraduate or work there in the future my employers won't be like : "your degree is worthless" ( this can truly happen in the french mentality)
So if any of you is french or have any notion of the job market could you help me? I'm really scared I won't get a job actually.

I've already chosen 4 of my courses on ucas :
Ppe oxford
Esps ucl ( dual degree with Sciences po in france that's why I chose it)
Ppe king's college
Economics and politics at Edinburgh

For the last choice I was hesitating between exeter( ppe), warwick (ppe)
or another scottish uni. Do you have any opinion? Other recommendations ?

If so, thanks in advance
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Blup59)
Hello everyone,

I know a lot of you say we shouldn't pick our university choices by reputation but my problem is I'm an international student( french actually). I would really like to study in the uk next year for the culture, student life, very different way of teaching etc I'd really like to find a university with a good reputation so that if I decide to study in french for my postgraduate or work there in the future my employers won't be like : "your degree is worthless" ( this can truly happen in the french mentality)
So if any of you is french or have any notion of the job market could you help me? I'm really scared I won't get a job actually.

I've already chosen 4 of my courses on ucas :
Ppe oxford
Esps ucl ( dual degree with Sciences po in france that's why I chose it)
Ppe king's college
Economics and politics at Edinburgh

For the last choice I was hesitating between exeter( ppe), warwick (ppe)
or another scottish uni. Do you have any opinion? Other recommendations ?

If so, thanks in advance
Are you applying for 2017 entry? If so the deadline for Oxford applications was back in October.

If you're applying for 2018 entry then I'd suggest arranging a visit - a week in the UK would allow you to visit all of your shortlist and get a better idea of whether the learning environment and living environment suit you.
Blup59
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you for your answer!
I applied for the 2017 entry but I have already submitted it before the 15th October. On track ucas you can add choices after you have submitted your application this is why I still have one left.

When I visited the UK last time I went to Scotland and kind of fell in love with the capital that's why I put Edinburgh in my choices. Furthermore, I know it has a good reputation and good academic level that would still leave me with numerous possibilities after I've finished my degree.
My question though was more towards the reputations such universities have in other European countries. Frr instance let's take Durham university or Exeter, I know they are great one. I've done a lot of researches myself on uk uni and I know they are in the Russel group but if I talk about this unis to any French employer they will never have heard of it and it may harm my chances in the future. Although it is far better than many institutions at home sadly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
27.85%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (8)
10.13%
No I am happy with my choice (45)
56.96%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.06%

Watched Threads