Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

I am hoping apply for a PGCE course next year and would appreciate your help and advice on this matter.

I want to know what the maximum level of funding available to a PGCE science student. Also what are the exact cost's for the course fees etc?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    Course Fees are approximately £3000. There is a grant of £1200 from your LEA and another £1500 (I think) is means tested. If your parental income is low you would get the maximum amount - meaning course fees would be ~£300 as the rest is paid for you.

You get a £6000 tax-free allowance from the teacher training people no matter what subject your training for. Im not sure how this is paid, im sure I read somewhere you get half at the start and half in the middle - but that could be completely wrong.

If your doing Physics as your main subject then the above allowance would be £9000 not £6000. Im sure there is some gradation and biology and chemistry people may get like £7000 instead of £6000 but see below.

Golden hellos are available for sceince teachers however this is not payable until after you have completed your NQT year. Unfortunately the bonus is taxable so you would only get ~70% of it but nevertheless I know it is £5000 for physics and maths teachers. For biology and chemistry I thought it was only £2500.

Having just read the TDA website it appears the training grant and the golden hello are the same for physics as for biology and chemistry - that is £9000 and £5000 respectively. I would urge you to look on the TDA website or phone the teacher information line for more up to date information. Im sure that when I last looked bio/chem people didnt get the same as physics/maths people because the latter group are in exceptionally high demand but that seems to have changed. Or Ive convinced myself of something that never was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perfection)
    Course Fees are approximately £3000. There is a grant of £1200 from your LEA and another £1500 (I think) is means tested. If your parental income is low you would get the maximum amount - meaning course fees would be ~£300 as the rest is paid for you.
    I would have thought that after you have completed your undergrad, you would no longer be considered as a dependent, but an independent. so if they do a means-tested assessment; they would do it by what you earn as opposed to what your parents earn?

ReputationRep:
    can anyone answer the above

ReputationRep:
    It's a forum of peers, not experts. Try emailing your LEA. I don't know the answer, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermaphrodite)
    I would have thought that after you have completed your undergrad, you would no longer be considered as a dependent, but an independent. so if they do a means-tested assessment; they would do it by what you earn as opposed to what your parents earn?
    Im with dogtanian - I dont know exactly.

However, since the PGCE is a fairly demanding course most students are correctly advised not to do any extra jobs throughout the course. Since this is almost universally followed then almost every students income will be just the grant. It makes no sense to create a situation where a persons only income is a grant that you are giving them and then assess their needs based on independent status - almost everyone will be in the same boat (6k/yr) so means testing would be redundant.

Additionally, there is no reason why someone should be expected to support themselves merely because they have graduated. Almost all students on the PGCE come directly from university or having had 1/2 years gap.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.