Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i need a flat screen

it needs to be able to do films (and games, although that isnt a regular thing)

im thinking a decent 15"

budget is £250 so im not expecting anything magnificent
    try and factor in delivery costs but i live near Simply so if you find something there, thats good

ReputationRep:
    http://uk.special.reserve.co.uk/q_GG...silver__b.html

looks quite good

ReputationRep:
    or

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...roductID=99049

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=119053

look for group reviews, ilyanas are a reputable make so if you want quality look at them closely, or you could go for a cheap 17inh one

ReputationRep:
    Micordirect do a a Benq 17" model for £217 and its fine, my mate has one and the quality is very good.

I am thinking one as my 17" CRT gives of too much EMF radiation.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=amazingtrade

I am thinking one as my 17" CRT gives of too much EMF radiation.[/QUOTE]

really? surely its under the regulation amount??!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how much EMF it gives out but it has to me more than a TFT, those big electromagnets on the tube in a small bedroom cannot be healthy.

Plus CRT screens flicker no matter how high the refresh rate is, whjere as TFTs don't. TFTs will also save a lot of desk space.

ReputationRep:
    You could check out ebuyer for some good deals @ www.ebuyer.co.uk but never bought that sort of thing from them b4

ReputationRep:
    if you want it for DVDs and games you really should get one that has a low response time (eg 16ms or 12ms or lower).... otherwise its possible that you will experience "ghosting" which is a problem that is known to occur for high response time (eg 25ms) TFTs when fast games and DVDs are used...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    if you want it for DVDs and games you really should get one that has a low response time (eg 16ms or 12ms or lower).... otherwise its possible that you will experience "ghosting" which is a problem that is known to occur for high response time (eg 25ms) TFTs when fast games and DVDs are used...
    yeah i know, but i was really looking for good suggestions :P as in, personal experience

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much all new monitors now seem to have a 12ms or 16ms response time. I was looking at a £211 (inc vat) 17" model which was 16ms.

15" seem very poor value at the moment, I think most manufactueres are now making 17" ones so I would buy a 17" model.

Also nearly all of them come with a 3 year warranty.

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for a good 17" TFT too atm, but it needs to have a fast response time and also be sharp. Everytime I think I found a good TFT it's let down by either not having a very sharp screen or has some other bad fault

ReputationRep:
    i was recommended the iiyama 431S 17" one. When i come to buying my computer in september, that's the monitor i'm going for atm, what's the fault with that one?

ReputationRep:
    I have an AOC LM720A which i bought around a year ago for around £250 and is still going strong. It was one of the cheapest 17"'s around and was listed as dabs value but I'm happy with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willla2)
    i was recommended the iiyama 431S 17" one. When i come to buying my computer in september, that's the monitor i'm going for atm, what's the fault with that one?
    its about £50 out of my price range

is this any good

it sure looks sexy (as does a 15" by the same company)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    its about £50 out of my price range

is this any good

it sure looks sexy (as does a 15" by the same company)
    We have tge 15" of those at university, they are brilliant, very sharp picture and very very good build quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    We have tge 15" of those at university, they are brilliant, very sharp picture and very very good build quality.
    the response time for the 15" is 7.5-17.5 ms ; can you see any ghosting on them?

ReputationRep:
    To be fair I haven't played games on them, all I have used them for is C++ programming so its not the best test. However there is no noticable ghosting whats so ever. I think if its less than 20ms you should be ok, anything above this then you will notice it. Most 17" models seem to be 16ms or less now anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    the response time for the 15" is 7.5-17.5 ms ; can you see any ghosting on them?
    i think that means it has a combined time of 25ms... as usually the manufacturers either state one time (which is the sum of both horizontal and vertical delays (i think)) or the individually as done here(but for comparison you should add up teh two values...)... so i suspect it wont be good for games and unless you have very bad eyesight or are drunk you will notice ghosting on games... (i mean proper games... not like solitaire)

ReputationRep:
    I am looking at this one, it seems an ideal as its cheap but by no means the cheapest 17" model.

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Product...62&GroupID=456

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    i think that means it has a combined time of 25ms... as usually the manufacturers either state one time (which is the sum of both horizontal and vertical delays (i think)) or the individually as done here(but for comparison you should add up teh two values...)... so i suspect it wont be good for games and unless you have very bad eyesight or are drunk you will notice ghosting on games... (i mean proper games... not like solitaire)
    cool, so the 17" it will be if its that one then

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.