Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How many weeks of your holiday do you spend doing ems at vet school. I keep hearing 12 weeks and 26 weeks around but have no idea what it all means. Iheard it was 12 weeks in 3 years holidays and 26 in the last 2 years including rotations. Is this right? How many weeks of rotations do you do? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about rotations but you have to do (at RVC) 12 weeks of animal husbandry ems during the first two years. You also have to do (i think) 26 weeks clinical ems in the last three years, with 13 weeks of that being completed within the third year.
    Ems takes up a lot of time, especially if you also have to work to earn some money during the holidays so defiantely enjoy your freedom before you get to vet school

ReputationRep:
    at glasgow you need to do 12 weeks pre clinical (2 weeks sheep, 2 weeks dairy, 2 weeks horses,m 2 weeks intensive breeding - pigs/poultry, and 4 weeks your own choice) and 26 week clinical. i guess its basically the same everywhere

ReputationRep:
    I would guess so although it is compulsory for us to do pigs but not poultry.

ReputationRep:
    its a requirement of the RCVS to do 12 weeks pre clinical and 26 weeks clinical EMS, but i think it depend of the unis what is compulsory and not.
    e.g i think at bristol you have to do dairy while calfing etc...

ReputationRep:
    Also some unis have guidlines as to what is a suitable dairy/sheep farm in terms of number of stock.

ReputationRep:
    At bristol its 12 weeks in the first 2 years. 3 weeks lambing, 3 weeks dairy, 2 weeks pigs, 2 weeks horse and 2 weeks small animal training hospital. I'm not sure about clinical but 26 and weeks does feature in the same sentence somewhere. It isn't that much time to get considering you have a month off at christmas, a month at easter and about 3 months off for the summer(there is exam revision thrown in as well). Not having any retakes in september does help to free up your holiday time.

Getting a job in the holidays and being a vet student is very difficult, most vet students i know just don't have a job. Some places might pay you. About 90ish% of lambing placements pay their students, but it can be anything from £0-£700+.

Also some unis have guidlines as to what is a suitable dairy/sheep farm in terms of number of stock.
    You'll be told about this when you get to uni. There's other conditions like which time of year you go, whether its a training centre(eg; nurses), etc.

Most of the vet schools have lists of contacts which they send their students to, some are close to home, others not, but get your ems forms in quick so that you get first choice before they get booked up, its the difference between being 15mins from home or 90mins+ from home, making it impossible to go home in your free time and have to live away.

ReputationRep:
    The Liverpool vets freshers pack says you have to do 84 days PCEMS during the first two years - if you work 5 day weeks thats 16.8 or 12 7-day weeks.

A minimum of 58 days must be done in the first year (11.6 5-day weeks and 7.25 7-day weeks) and a minimum of 14 days in the second year.

So you could, theoretically, work 70 days in your first year and only 14 in your second.

I'm sure they'll be more specific when I get there and it'll be more like the 2 weeks lambing, 2 weeks dairy, 2 weeks pigs ect: everybody else is talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissVet)
    at glasgow you need to do 12 weeks pre clinical (2 weeks sheep, 2 weeks dairy, 2 weeks horses,m 2 weeks intensive breeding - pigs/poultry, and 4 weeks your own choice) and 26 week clinical. i guess its basically the same everywhere
    Cambridge is the same, the four weeks of your own chooice can be more of the above or something different such as zoo/kennels/animal lab/abbetoir(which i can't spell!). You can't include small animal practice though.

ReputationRep:
    So do you not have to lamb in the easter of your second year aswell as your first? Because then that would be 4 weeks lambing.

ReputationRep:
    No you can if you want but you don't have to as long as you have the 2 week (10 days) minimum. :sheep:

ReputationRep:
    I think for some placements, you're not really supposed to do 5 day weeks either. Maybe I've completely misunderstood the PCEMS book but I think the 2 weeks dairy, for example, has to be two solid weeks of experience.

ReputationRep:
    When do you get the PCEMS books?

ReputationRep:
    lol i already have a lambing placement lined up......

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 5, 2007

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.