Petrol vs Diesel Watch

dark_lord90
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Does the fuel type of a car affect the way you find the biting point? I am currently learning in a diesel car; however, my instructor is on holiday for 2 weeks and in the meantime I will be learning with another instructor, who has a petrol car. I've been told by my current instructor that the process of finding the bite differs with a petrol car. Could anyone explain the difference please?
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
its the same technique, i found that diesels were more forgiving. in my experience (dont know if its the same across the board) the amount of movement between moving and stalling is smaller in a petrol
tomc87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I found it was alot easier to stall a petrol car (although it seems to have varied between petrol cars I have driven) compared to a diesel, especially after driving my diesel for a year or so, but it shouldn't take you too long to adjust.
Newton's cradle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It is much more difficult to stall a diesel because diesel ignites under pressure whereas petrol needs a spark.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A 1 litre petrol car will not have the same amount of torque as a 1 litre diesel. This is why people find diesels harder to stall.

My 3.5 litre V8 petrol engine has within a gnats whisker of the torque of a TD5 defender. You'd have to be doing something pretty stupid to stall an engine that big.

TO answer the question, A clutch operates on exactly the same mechanical principals whether its fitted to an engine runing on petrol, diesel, LPG, alcohol or anything else you want to run it on.
Mr Catbert
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
So, could you stall a lorry engine? :rolleyes:
NW8_SW1_EC3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just can't stand the sound of Diesel cars.
Biolizard
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I love the sound of a diesel engine ticking away, but I'll be getting petrols when I pass out since I'll only do short distances.
dark_lord90
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Newton's cradle)
It is much more difficult to stall a diesel because diesel ignites under pressure whereas petrol needs a spark.
so when you bring up the clutch in a petrol car, do you need to apply gas simultaneously to find the biting point? (as opposed to a diesel engine, where you find the bite with just the clutch)
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
you could do it just on clutch still. its the same. its just easier to stall a petrol
Minardi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mr Catbert)
So, could you stall a lorry engine? :rolleyes:
Stalled a 200hp McCormick tractor t'other day. And that has more torque than you can shake a stick at. Too higher gear, too much weight. Bum.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The only time I managed to stall my V8 was when I attempted to set off in 4th gear. Its so torquey I dont bother with first or third gear very often.... thought I was in 2nd.
Goodkat
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, its technically harder to stall a diesel. Who worries about stalling though, thats like first lesson tactics .

I have a diesel, I like the better fuel economy, and it's a 2.0 turbo so I have no real complaints about performance. The engine is a bit noisy when it's first started up though, but still I like the fact I don't have to visit the 'station of wallet misery' so often.:p:
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You know... when anyone mentions fuel economy I get bored and lose interest.
When did it become the defining thing when choosing a car?
I couldn't give a toss how much and how often I fill the tank up. Its just a factor of owning a nice car!
castroneves
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Petrol - nicer to drive, more progressive delivery of power, sounds one hell of a lot better. Diesel - Better fuel milage
tomc87
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I bought a diesel for my first car because it had more power/torque than the small petrol engines I could get in the same price/age/insurance range... I have no idea how economical my car is but it's probably very average now it's 10yrs old. And as for the sound, i'd rather listen to my 10 year old TD than the 10 year old 1.4 8v petrol that I considered at the same time. I doubt the petrol would have reached over 100k without major problems either.
I should be buying a Leon 130 or 150 TDi for my next car because I get better performance with insurance that is relatively cheap... the 150bhp has an incredible amount of torque, you notice particularly when you're pulling away. I'm assuming after that i'll have enough NCB to realistically afford to insure a group 15+ car..
jaw
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
You know... when anyone mentions fuel economy I get bored and lose interest.
When did it become the defining thing when choosing a car?
I couldn't give a toss how much and how often I fill the tank up. Its just a factor of owning a nice car!
its true, you cant have it all I'm get 25mpg on a good day, and a carbon footprint the size of reading, but I wouldnt have it any other way..
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jaw)
its true, you cant have it all I'm get 25mpg on a good day, and a carbon footprint the size of reading, but I wouldnt have it any other way..
I get 12mpg, or, 9 if I put my foot down. I have no idea what a carbon footprint is, nor do I have the desire to find out.
Life is too short.
Mr Catbert
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by jaw)
What monster are you driving?... Not that it seems to match JCs consumption!

Heres to sticking two fingers to the environmentalists
Xtrm2Matt
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can pull off in a Diesel without any revs (just let the clutch up).
Petrol requires you to give it some revs, or you'll stall.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads