The Student Room Group

Taking a year out from uni because of depression. Can I apply for benefits?

Hi guys,

I am in my final year at university, but I am deferring this year due to depression and because I have some debt that needs clearing. The plan was that once I was feeling a bit better I would get a job and work on saving up some money for next year.

Are you entitled to benefits, such as Job Seekers Allowance, in a year out of education? Just to supplement me until I find a job. Also, I assume I would have to start paying council tax etc?
Reply 1
Original post by fkfkj
Hi guys,

I am in my final year at university, but I am deferring this year due to depression and because I have some debt that needs clearing. The plan was that once I was feeling a bit better I would get a job and work on saving up some money for next year.

Are you entitled to benefits, such as Job Seekers Allowance, in a year out of education? Just to supplement me until I find a job. Also, I assume I would have to start paying council tax etc?

I'm going to say that probably yes, you can apply for benefits. What DWP want to know is 'are you in full time education' and 'are you available for full time work'. The answer to 1 is technically no, and the answer to 2 (the more important one) is absolutely yes.

However if you are eligible for benefits you'll also be required to pay council tax, yes.

The best thing is to go on the Gov website, find out if you are eligible for Job Seekers Allowance or Universal Credit (it depends on where you live) and then phone the relevant person and ask them.
Would you still be registered as a full time student? I can't quite remember the rules regarding those who are taking a year out and benefits.

As above, you do need to check with the DWP. CAB can give you advice as well.
Original post by fkfkj
Hi guys,

I think if you were available and actively seeking work, and not registered any longer as a full-time student (or even part time), then you should be able to claim JSA. But you would have to accept any job offer you were given, and that could well be something you don't want to do.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Would you still be registered as a full time student? I can't quite remember the rules regarding those who are taking a year out and benefits.

As above, you do need to check with the DWP. CAB can give you advice as well.

If you take a year out whilst still being register with the uni you are still registered at a full time student so aren't eligible for benefits.
your taking a year out due to depression. apart from the benefits system will not help your depression. you will fall in the are you fit to work failing the medical. same with work if you cant cope studying can you really work. a more constructive way see your doctor receive treatment. if its mild i use st johns wort i find it better than most of the anti depressants. in your uni their will be a student counselling service. please dont just give up unless you really have to.

Quick Reply

Latest