username2526573
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I don't get these questions.

1. The refractive index of water is 1.33. A light ray in water is directed at the water surface at an angle of incidence of 40°. Calculate the angle of refraction of the light ray at this surface.

[the answer is 58.7°, how??]

2. A light ray enters an equilateral glass prism of refractive index 1.55 at the midpoint of one side of the prism at an angle of incidence of 35°. The angle of refraction of the light ray in the glass is 22°.

a) Show that the angle of incidence where the light ray leaves the glass prism is 38°.

b) Calculate the angle of refraction of the light ray where it leaves the prism.
[the answer is 72.6°]
aadil10
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheMrKeshy)
Hi, I don't get these questions.

1. The refractive index of water is 1.33. A light ray in water is directed at the water surface at an angle of incidence of 40°. Calculate the angle of refraction of the light ray at this surface.

[the answer is 58.7°, how??]

2. A light ray enters an equilateral glass prism of refractive index 1.55 at the midpoint of one side of the prism at an angle of incidence of 35°. The angle of refraction of the light ray in the glass is 22°.

a) Show that the angle of incidence where the light ray leaves the glass prism is 38°.

b) Calculate the angle of refraction of the light ray where it leaves the prism.
[the answer is 72.6°]
You need to use the equation n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2. where n is the refractive index and θ is the angle of incidence/refraction.

1) Use n1=1.33, θ1=40 and n2=1 to find θ2.

The rest are just the same, plug in the values and rearrange.
TMMH
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
why is the second refractive index 1?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (697)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (875)
42.56%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (392)
19.07%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.47%

Watched Threads