Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hellooo,

I am having a hard time deciding whether to apply for History or English, and I'm hoping you beautiful people can help me. Basically, it's English I would like to apply for, but am wondering if I really have a decent enough chance to go for it when my grades are better for History and I have my heart set on a particular bunch of unis, all of which have very high demands. For AS I took Eng Lit, Classics, History and Biology, and got 3 As and a B, the B being in Biology. I am dropping that next year but I'm also doing an AS in Greek which is a two year course. My history mark was 293/300, my English mark 271. This doesn't really bother me, the thing that worries me is that I got a B in one of my English modules, and at GCSE I got an A* in History but an A in English Lit. Am I being stupid by focusing so much on minor marks, or would I be stupid to apply for English when I have done better in History? I'm hoping to apply to Bristol, York, Exeter, Nottingham and, because my parents are deluded, Oxford. I truly do have my heart set on English, but not if it means going to a uni I'm not completely happy with. I would really appreciate any help.

ReputationRep:
    If you truly have your heart set on English, then you need to completely forget about the possibility of studying history. Three years is a long time to study something that you won't enjoy that much.

If you've got an A in English, then there's no reason why you shouldn't apply to the uni's that you are applying to. You say you have your heart set on those universities - the problems is those universities are the best and top uni's, especially for english! So it might be good to compromise and choose two uni's as back up's with slightly lower entrance requirements, but you certainly shouldn't rule them out.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford is well within your reach for either subject. Do the subject you enjoy. That said, if it's Oxford you want, you have slightly more chance for History than English. There are a huge number of English applicants every year. They are both good subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Go with what you would enjoy the most . Just because you've got a better grade profile for History than English, doesn't mean to say that History would be the right university course for you. There are other factors to bear in mind such as your future career plans and what you want to get out of university. And like steerpike said, you've got a high A in AS English anyway, so you're obviously good at it!

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* at GCSE and an A at AS in History. However I would rather die before carrying it on at uni. Just because it may be your best subject, does not mean you have to study it at uni. Unless you are actually considering it properly that is.

ReputationRep:
    I know I know, I'm not considering it solely because my marks in it are good, I do enjoy it, but I enjoy English far more. My issue is that if my chances of getting into those universities with my English marks are distinctly average/bad, would I be better off applying for History?

Cheers for replying everyone.

ReputationRep:
    271 seems pretty good to me! Think positive!

ReputationRep:
    I would hardly call 271/300 'average'!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nougat)
    would I be better off applying for History?

You said yourself that you have your heart set on English. You shouldn't resort to studying History just because you have a better chance at getting onto a course (I know you said that you enjoy studying that too, but still, if English is your main interest, go for it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nougat)
    I know I know, I'm not considering it solely because my marks in it are good, I do enjoy it, but I enjoy English far more. My issue is that if my chances of getting into those universities with my English marks are distinctly average/bad, would I be better off applying for History?

No, because History is also highly competitive, so what makes the difference is that spark of "flair" which you will not convey in your PS. If you aren't convinced why should an Admissions Tutor be?

ReputationRep:
    You've got very good grades, in very good A -levels. Take a look at Leeds - it's very good for English (5 in the Times!) and you'd probably get in.

You've also, I think, got a good chance with any of those unis you listed, particularly York, Exeter and Nottingham. Bristol and Oxford are both, as you know, very competitive, but like I say - your grades are good enough!

ReputationRep:
    This is scarily like what I'm going through right now.. Same situation - but different subjects! I'm even considering Oxford/Cambridge, haha.
    Replace history with maths, and english with physics, and you have what I'm thinking :P

Fyi, I'm thinking of going for a joint hons. but maybe this isn't possible for you..
    I think you should just go ahead with english if you love it so much, you're points score in that is incredible anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Go for English. You have your heart set on it, so that should be a good enough reason. It is very competitive, especially at top unis, but so is history and your personal statement is likely to be better for a subject you're really passionate about than one you're just doing because you think you should. 271/300 is an excellent UMS mark, even if one of the modules was a B, so I doubt any uni will care that you only got an A at GCSE.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

Student on bed with laptop

All student accommodation articles

City guides and advice on finding the right place

Photo of apprentices

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A young woman talking to her mother

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.