business management OR accounting and finance Watch

adrenaline1989
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
OK after days of researching i've come to the conclusion I wont be studying economics at uni.

Both BAM and Actfinance involve some economics, and are looked upon decently by employers?

What I was wondering is which one of the subjects has more economics involved?

Which one is more reputable?

Can I gain a high payed job out of either one of the degrees?

Thanks
Creole
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would say they are relatively equal in terms of reputation.

What do you define as a high paid job? Do you know what kind of careers you wish to enter?

I think that Business Management would have more economics in, because Accounting degrees are often somewhat rigid to provide professional exemptions, so you would get more choice to take economics modules in a BM degree. You can probably have a look at Uni's websites to see what modules are available for each course.
emdo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Mmm, i would have said business management would have had less economics than AccFin, but tbh i think the amount depends heavily on the uni you go to. Looking at the Business Management course in KCL, there's not really a lot of economics...and there's only three possible solid econ options to take.

As adthegreat said, both are equally reputable, and yeah they can both up in high paying jobs (obviously depending on the career path and where you work)

I suppose AccFin courses are "rigid" in the sense that you end up going for accountancy, however i don't think they are THAT rigid in course content. For some uni's you have to do certain options (in 2nd and 3rd year) to be exempt, if you don't do these options then you're in the same boat as everyone else: you have to start the qualifications from scratch. But i do think that business management would allow you to enter more of a variety of jobs than AccFin would.

I have spoken to some current students at the LSE and apparently 1st year of AccFin and Economics are very similar, allowing students to easily move from one (but however, apparently they don't like it that you change course) to the other. I don't know what it's like in other uni's though...
adrenaline1989
Rep:
?
Thanks very much people, much appreciated.

What do people think of Queen mary for BAM?
Creole
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by emdo)
I have spoken to some current students at the LSE and apparently 1st year of AccFin and Economics are very similar, allowing students to easily move from one (but however, apparently they don't like it that you change course) to the other. I don't know what it's like in other uni's though...
To re-iterate this, Cardiff are the same, Econ and AccFin are the same in the first year.
emdo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Legend Killer)
Thanks very much people, much appreciated.

What do people think of Queen mary for BAM?
Queen Mary's is okay for BAM it's not as recognised as such others on your list as City, LSE or KCL. It's an okay uni but most people are like "QM is in Mile End, that makes it soooooo crap" :rolleyes:
Paradiddle_man
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Accounting and finance would get you the money. On the other hand you can't get very far and in my opinion it's monotonous and boring.

Business management is more common and often under-rated. But then I think it's a lot more interesting and there's a possibility of gaining more although the starting salary might be lower.
adrenaline1989
Rep:
?
I just had a look at the results thread and quite a few people despite not acheiving what they should have, and in some cases no way near their offer, still managed to get into their first choice!

I feel as though I can get into Kings college with something like BBB despite them asking for AAB, provided my PS is up to scratch
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?