?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Title
lily628
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't do it but many of my friends do and msot of them say they enjoy it! I know some topics are hard to grasp (bond angles comes to mind?) but from all my friends that do chemistry and biology, they all actually say chem is easier (idk if your doing bio but?)
username1495504
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes. I got an A at GCSE and a U at AS.

(ignoring the fact I gave up and was miserably unhappy from moving house and not fitting in which made me ill )
alevels2k17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes
AspiringUnderdog
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're not willing to put in a lot of time to memorise things then yes.
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
(Original post by pondsteps)
Yes
Y what didn't u like about it?
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
(Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
If you're not willing to put in a lot of time to memorise things then yes.
Is there an awful lot to remember compared to other a levels? Did u do any mother sciences if so how did u find them
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Strawberry68)
Yes. I got an A at GCSE and a U at AS.

(ignoring the fact I gave up and was miserably unhappy from moving house and not fitting in which made me ill )
Is there anything that u think u could have done to make it better or not?
username1495504
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sophhhowa)
Is there anything that u think u could have done to make it better or not?
Not take it in the first place and go to a difference sixth form/college.
sciencestudent19
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do chemistry a level and really enjoy it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
DabThruUni
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Chemistry was my favourite subject in ALevels but it obviously depends on what you're good at. I'm quite good at maths and analysis so it was easy for me to grasp onto things quickly. It's important that you always stay on top of your work tho coz it's easy to fall behind.
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DabThruALevels)
Chemistry was my favourite subject in ALevels but it obviously depends on what you're good at. I'm quite good at maths and analysis so it was easy for me to grasp onto things quickly. It's important that you always stay on top of your work tho coz it's easy to fall behind.
What A-Levels did you do?
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sophhhowa)
Title
Its good and bad.

I love the organic chemistry you learn about the structure, orbitals and reaction mechanisms. But there is a lot of maths in chemistry and I mean A lot!

In equilibrium you need to understand how to use quadratic formula but the worst is redox titrations which the equations need to be balanced and you need to be good at maths to calculate the quantities especially in practical exams. The potassium dichromate redox titration is horrendous but you practice it repeatedly in practical class and calculate it using simple whole number ratios and it nearly always is given in practical exams!
DabThruUni
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by S2M)
What A-Levels did you do?
Biology, chemistry, psychology
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think if you don't like chemistry, then you don't really like science. There's a reason why it's called the 'central' science. Personally, I really liked chemistry, and found it intellectually stimulating. It can be hard work, but then nothing that's truly worthwhile is ever easy.
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DabThruALevels)
Biology, chemistry, psychology
Good combo, you planning on doing Medicine?
mb2016
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do Chemistry and it is definitely difficult but not awful, and its a really good a-level to have so I think its worth it. If you don't have an A*/A at GCSE though, it might be really hard. There are two people in my class who didn't get an A/A* and they are really struggling.
DabThruUni
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by S2M)
Good combo, you planning on doing Medicine?
Nope I ain't smart enough for that :lol: my grades (dont ask) weren't that great coz i started slacking at the end of A levels like an idiot. I prolly dabbed more than i studied :rofl:
Imma do biomedical science next year tho hopefully

So are you doing A levels then?
DabThruUni
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mb2016)
I do Chemistry and it is definitely difficult but not awful, and its a really good a-level to have so I think its worth it. If you don't have an A*/A at GCSE though, it might be really hard. There are two people in my class who didn't get an A/A* and they are really struggling.
I did double science in GCSEs and only got a B but i still loved Chemistry in both GCSE and A levels. It's just about the amount of work you're willng to put in as well. Some of my friends didn't enjoy it as much as i did tho so if you're not a Chemistry fan in GCSEs then I wouldn't recommend it for A Levels.
DarkEnergy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
I think if you don't like chemistry, then you don't really like science. There's a reason why it's called the 'central' science. Personally, I really liked chemistry, and found it intellectually stimulating. It can be hard work, but then nothing that's truly worthwhile is ever easy.
I agree with the italicised bit but for about your first point, I don't think that's right. You can like Physics for example without liking Chemistry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (18)
26.87%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (6)
8.96%
No I am happy with my choice (39)
58.21%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.97%

Watched Threads