The Student Room Group

Does this mean your homophobic?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Applepiex3
Sure, why not? I don't see how what people believe affects me?

What people believe does affect society. It's largely because of Christianity that gay people were subject to persecution and still are in Islamic countries .A belief in God also undermines the fight against climate change particularly in America. Religious beliefs also cause divisions in society,it puts muslims against Christians and Jews for example. What people believe also affects which government's get into power.If people believe homophobic stuff they are more likely to elect a homophobic government.So yeah people's beliefs do actually effect me.It effects everyone.
Original post by Robby2312
What people believe does affect society. It's largely because of Christianity that gay people were subject to persecution and still are in Islamic countries .A belief in God also undermines the fight against climate change particularly in America. Religious beliefs also cause divisions in society,it puts muslims against Christians and Jews for example. What people believe also affects which government's get into power.If people believe homophobic stuff they are more likely to elect a homophobic government.So yeah people's beliefs do actually effect me.It effects everyone.

Look. You're telling this to a homosexual person. Do you think I don't know?

My first point was how does saying a homosexual person has an illness differ to saying a religious person has an illness? Both people who said that are wrong.

End of story. When was this a debate about religion and homosexuality?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ozmo19
Man you love yourself don't you

Yes, I do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Look. You're telling this to a homosexual person. Do you think I don't know?

My first point was how does saying a homosexual person has an illness differ to saying a religious person has an illness? Both people who said that are wrong.

End of story. When was this a debate about religion and homosexuality?

You said that others beliefs don't effect you.They clearly do effect you as I just pointed out.The two are not comparable because a religious person chooses what to believe. They can choose to stop believing anytime they want. A gay person can't stop being gay. It's more justified to criticise someone's religious belief because they choose it. It's not something they can't change.So religion is not in the same class as sexuality or race or gender.
You said that others beliefs don't effect you.They clearly do effect you as I just pointed out.The two are not comparable because a religious person chooses what to believe. They can choose to stop believing anytime they want. A gay person can't stop being gay. It's more justified to criticise someone's religious belief because they choose it. It's not something they can't change.So religion is not in the same class as sexuality or race or gender.

Some people say you do choose to believe you are gay.

Stirs dat pot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514

Stirs dat pot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah mostly homophobes.Seriously if someone was attracted to women why on earth would they then have sex with men? Why would anyone choose to be gay? So they can have all the abuse from society maybe? Does anyone choose to be straight? It's honestly just stupid that people think that.
Dat pot smells g8 m8
8/8

Original post by paul514

Stirs dat pot

Posted from TSR Mobile
The comment about being elected is ******** and homophobic, with the added bonus of being dumb as funk. It's not a disease it's somewhat genetic, but it is just a normal expression of genes not some pathology. Some people clearly need to stop being so ignorant.

. If you directly tries to stop someone running for office on the basis of sexuality then it becomes a legal matter, since sexuality ie the right to be whatever you want gay bi, or just curious is enshrined in the EU constitution (regardless if we leave it the law still applies unless it is repealed) and our own laws say homosexuals have the right to both exist and not be discriminated against or abuses.

There's probably several law cases in precedent about this as well.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg17723884-900-the-big-brother-effect/

Obviously I can't post the whole thing but this is pretty much agreed by science to be a real phenomena.

The other one I can post too, but it's not easy to find, and tbh it's a fairly preliminary study.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah mostly homophobes.Seriously if someone was attracted to women why on earth would they then have sex with men? Why would anyone choose to be gay? So they can have all the abuse from society maybe? Does anyone choose to be straight? It's honestly just stupid that people think that.

I didn't know I was homosexual and homophobic lel
I didn't know I was homosexual and homophobic lel

When did I say you were? Did you make a choice to be gay? Most gay people don't think it's a choice.
When did I say you were? Did you make a choice to be gay? Most gay people don't think it's a choice.

Hmm well I make a choice if I find someone hot enough to date, male or female.

I'm making a choice, aren't I? I can also choose not to date at all, that's also a choice.

No matter what way I go, who I date or don't date, I always have a choice.

I think it would be fair to say pretty much all gay people don't think it was a choice. Although there may be some deluded individuals who are religious or are conflicted. Take Saul also know as Paul: in context he only proscribed behaviour for Jews who lived amongst the Greek and Romans who were liberal in terms of homosexuality and may have practised pedarasty, usually it was platonic anyway which is an ironic term as Plato was seriously gayish. Suffice to say it wasn't meant to be an arbitrary law for all people IMHO.

There are several studies on how homosexuality might work, I'll link them if anyone is interested, suffice to say no Scientist of any merit claims homosexuality is purely a choice. The big brother effect, and the proclivity for aunties who have gay relationships, or ancestors in their family tree, within their family group to produce more children, being just two I can think of off the top of my head.Which might explain why a seemingly odd evolutionary trait that should reduce "fitness" does not. however why homosexuality exists in almost all animals is hard to fathom, but may be for similar reasons.

A Classic example if you'll pardon the pun is Achilles who had a sexual relationship with Agamemnon, he was clearly bisexual, but I doubt anyone is going to tell that killing machine what to do. It's the reason Agamemnon despairs of Achilles, ie it's a sort lovers tiff. Unsurprisingly the film Troy leaves out this fact even though it is attested several times by Homer. It was common place to the point where it was almost universally accepted amongst Greeks, and Alexander the Great was also clearly bisexual having several catamites, although he was Macedonian not Greek.

The Letters to the Romans, and the letters to the Greeks (Corinthians). Have a lot to answer for let's face it. But the author was not God, and speaking on his behalf about pederasty or any sort of homosexuality is overstepping the bounds IMHO.

Reminds me of a joke by Ali G:

"I got an uncle who's trisexual, he says he'll try anything once." :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Martian872
I think it would be fair to say pretty much all gay people don't think it was a choice. Although there may be some deluded individuals who are religious or are conflicted. Take Saul also know as Paul: in context he only proscribed behaviour for Jews who lived amongst the Greek and Romans who were liberal in terms of homosexuality and may have practised pedarasty, usually it was platonic anyway which is an ironic term as Plato was seriously gayish. Suffice to say it wasn't meant to be an arbitrary law for all people IMHO.

There are several studies on how homosexuality might work, I'll link them if anyone is interested, suffice to say no Scientist of any merit claims homosexuality is purely a choice. The big brother effect, and the proclivity for aunties who have gay relationships, or ancestors in their family tree, within their family group to produce more children, being just two I can think of off the top of my head.Which might explain why a seemingly odd evolutionary trait that should reduce "fitness" does not. however why homosexuality exists in almost all animals is hard to fathom, but may be for similar reasons.

A Classic example if you'll pardon the pun is Achilles who had a sexual relationship with Agamemnon, he was clearly bisexual, but I doubt anyone is going to tell that killing machine what to do. It's the reason Agamemnon despairs of Achilles, ie it's a sort lovers tiff. Unsurprisingly the film Troy leaves out this fact even though it is attested several times by Homer. It was common place to the point where it was almost universally accepted amongst Greeks, and Alexander the Great was also clearly bisexual having several catamites, although he was Macedonian not Greek.

The Letters to the Romans, and the letters to the Greeks (Corinthians). Have a lot to answer for let's face it. But the author was not God, and speaking on his behalf about pederasty or any sort of homosexuality is overstepping the bounds IMHO.

Reminds me of a joke by Ali G:

"I got an uncle who's trisexual, he says he'll try anything once." :wink:

So you agree with what I was saying then.I'm not sure you followed the conversation.I was replying to the other poster who thought it was a choice.As for archilles I thought he was fictional but I know alexander the great was probably gay.And apollo the greek god had a gay relationship as well.I don't know why it would be favoured by evolotion though? Perhaps its a trade off that comes with having big brains? Its mostly big brained animals that have sex purely for pleasure.
So you agree with what I was saying then.I'm not sure you followed the conversation.I was replying to the other poster who thought it was a choice.As for archilles I thought he was fictional but I know alexander the great was probably gay.And apollo the greek god had a gay relationship as well.I don't know why it would be favoured by evolotion though? Perhaps its a trade off that comes with having big brains? Its mostly big brained animals that have sex purely for pleasure.

It would be fair to say I Didn't follow every post in the thread, just the first page.

Achilles really existed if we can of course take Homer as red or read even, he could have been mythical of course, so could Jesus but there you go. As for the other stuff I think we are pretty much in agreement.

Alexander the Great was bisexual. But meh who cares?

It can be favored by evolution and obviously is, I'll post the science in a bit, just a bit busy atm. :smile:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg17723884-900-the-big-brother-effect/

Obviously I can't post the whole thing but this is pretty much agreed by science to be a real phenomena.

The other articles I can post too, but it's not easy to find, and tbh i,most of the science if not all is a fairly preliminary study. Of course bigots are going to just say it's just liberal bs.IT is a theory though, a proper scientific one. :smile:

Essentially what it says is that the more male siblings you have the more chance there is they will be gay, this obviously means there is a genetic component, or there is something that happens in the womb, which also would be genetic. Although apposite it clearly does not mean that is the end of the story.

I can see why this is an evolutionary advantage but anthropology is often a contentious subject..
(edited 7 years ago)
Dat pot smells g8 m8
8/8

It only smellz

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fleky6910
Does this mean your homophobic?:biggrin:

'Illness' implies homosexuality is a sickness that needs to be cured. That kind of derogatory tone and prejudice weaves into the definition of 'homophobia'.

It's definitely a homophobic statement; though I can't categorically state that the person who said it is a homophobe without a little more context.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending