Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm basically looking for things to consider before committing oneself to medicine. I want to know the ins, outs, ups and downs of being a doctor.

Work experience only shows you so much, really.

ReputationRep:
    The sheer commitment involved is quite a lot for a teenager to get their head around, I'd say it was up there with marriage (I don't know if that's overstating the case or not to be honest). You're not just a 9-5 doctor and its not just something you get to say at parties, its something you are, all the time and can never escape from. A lifestyle choice is probably the best way to put it.

ReputationRep:
    For starters;
    http://www.medschoolhell.com/2007/04...edical-school/

ReputationRep:
    one good thing - you can make a real lasting impact on those you treat. What you do can improve their quality of life immeasurably and it can be a bit different than moving money around the world and trying to get one over your competitors.

one bad thing - you can't make a mistake, or even if you've done your best, the patient or their family might not think so and take legal action.

ReputationRep:
    Just to expand on that last bit a little....

Back when I was 17 (All of four years ago) and doing my summer work experience, I was lucky enough to have a registrar with a certain Dr Cox-like manner. Not vicious at all in any way and certainly willing to help, but with an army toilet paper streak to him. He said the biggest differentiator between doctors was having the balls to make a decision and stand by it. Anyone who can get into medical school can tell you the pros and cons and complications of a moral or clinical situation, the thing that makes you a decent and competent physician is being able to pick one of those decisions and then having the guts to admit that you can lose. Its just one view of medicine and I've heard plenty more that make sense, but that in particular has always stuck with me.

ReputationRep:
    I've just clocked the OP's name - a career in obs & gobs beckons.

ReputationRep:
    Renal - I'm surprised.... Are you sober? You seem to be being slow!!! xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    For starters;
    He *****es about Obs&Gynae too much for my liking. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea (though I've just spent my first day baby-catching and quite enjoyed it) but the staff have been no WAY as mean as surgeons! Mostly they've been really nice :confused:

Still, I guess I should take it all with a pinch of salt etc. Maybe I'm just weird...

ReputationRep:
    When I was getting interviewed, one interviewers asked me why I thought being a doctor would be stressful. I told him what I thought and then he told me his views:
    He basically said that it's one of the most stressful jobs in the world because every tiny decision you make must be weighed up, the risks and benefits balanced out with infinite and minute care because they could very well affect the health of your patient or even decide whether they live or die. Even telling someone to take asprin has its risks. The stress occurs because every moment of every working day you are having to continually do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    For starters;
    Sorry for sounding amateur-ish but what does 'Gunner' mean?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    A gunner is someone who is super keen. They deliberately undermine the other medical students on a firm to make themselves look better.

ReputationRep:
    lol thanks spencer!

ReputationRep:
    Some are classics!!!

"Only half of your class will be in the top 50%. You have a 50% chance of being in the top half of your class. Get used to it now."

ReputationRep:
    I'll give you an insight - Keep in mind the stuff that you dont see - the 6am starts to get in at a decent state, the paperwork that isnt all that exciting. The crap feeling when a patiant you treat dosnt get better....when the guy you thought was on the way to rehab crashs out again.

To be good at what you do - to be the best that you can be, its not a job - its a way of life. Can you handle that?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 31, 2007

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.