What does "height is genetically determined" exactly mean?

Watch
username2334187
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm sick of hearing "height is determined by genes". I know that very well but what I wanna know is how do the genes physically influence the stature? If your parents are short, does it mean you only produce a certain amount of protein/human growth hormone or does it mean your growth plates will fuse at a certain height even if you haven't finished puberty? I'm a 15 year old 5'6 male and my parents are both 5'2, does that mean I will always be short regardless of how good my nutrition/physical exercise is?
GaelicBolshevik
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I like this question.

I want to hear answers.
kitkatbitesize
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There is no straight answer to that question. Height is determined by many different genes and how they work is influenced by the rest of your genome and the environment. Its hugely complicated and if you want to know more about it I'd recommend looking up scientific papers and reading around the subject.
Your height is more determined by your genes, you'll have a maximum height potential and you can't change that without medical intervention, either through surgery or hormone therapy. Whether or not you reach that potential is affected by your environment.
If both your parents are 5'2 you are already quite tall for your family. Unless you have tall grandparents its unlikely that you will be tall.
Lychee628
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fishy789)
I'm sick of hearing "height is determined by genes". I know that very well but what I wanna know is how do the genes physically influence the stature? If your parents are short, does it mean you only produce a certain amount of protein/human growth hormone or does it mean your growth plates will fuse at a certain height even if you haven't finished puberty? I'm a 15 year old 5'6 male and my parents are both 5'2, does that mean I will always be short regardless of how good my nutrition/physical exercise is?
Im 6ft and my mum is 5ft :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
cambio wechsel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lychee627)
Im 6ft and my mum is 5ft :rofl:
http://us.reachout.com/facts/factshe...ally-about-it1
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Manlets. When will they ever learn?
da_nolo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
perhaps the statement is incorrect.
possible solution would be, height determines your potentil height.

we may agree that other factors affect our height

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lychee628
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
But im not adopted as I look similar to my older brother and my lil brother so dw im all good :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Baniazz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fishy789)
There are many other factors than genes which affect your height it includes your diet,exercise and environmental factors. And when it comes to genes its not just your parents ,your whole family pedigree will have an influence on your height including your grandparents ,uncles and aunts.75% of height potential is determined by your genotype while the rest25% is determined by other envioremental factors including diet ,excercise and stuff.So there`s still a chance that you can grow taller.don`t lose hope.
My issue is the other way around my parents are tall and i`m short.Xd
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kitkatbitesize)
There is no straight answer to that question. Height is determined by many different genes and how they work is influenced by the rest of your genome and the environment. Its hugely complicated and if you want to know more about it I'd recommend looking up scientific papers and reading around the subject.
^^This. The truth is, we don't have the mechanisms for most of the genes involved in height (or in many traits of interest!). We just know that
genes are involved, but often not even which specific genes. This article gives you a flavour of the research: http://www.medicaldaily.com/height-i...-growth-306365

And here are the details about one of the genes mentioned that we do know how it works. Quite why these actions affect height is not totally obvious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechan...t_of_rapamycin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (671)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (847)
42.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads