Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i fell over at work, and i put my arm on the hotplate burning all my skin of my arm and hand, ive spoken to quite a few people about my ordeal and all have said i have a right to make an idustrial injury claim.

this is a picture take 2 days ago, it will be 4 weeks today (3/8/04) since i did it, it will probably be scarred

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    i fell over at work, and i put my arm on the hotplate burning all my skin of my arm and hand, ive spoken to quite a few people about my ordeal and all have said i have a right to make an idustrial injury claim.

this is a picture take 2 days ago, it will be 4 weeks today (3/8/04) since i did it, it will probably be scarred
    So YOU fell over and YOU put your arm on a hotplate and you want to blame someone else for YOUR mistake????? why can't people take responisbility for a change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    So YOU fell over and YOU put your arm on a hotplate and you want to blame someone else for YOUR mistake????? why can't people take responisbility for a change?
    im with him with this one ... mayb if u had complained earlier , since u say it got burned 4 weeks ago . i got burnt once too and man imwiht u ... it hurts like a ***** . Mayb you could file suit about not having appropriate first aid or sumthin ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    i slipped on THEIR floor, that wasnt suitable for the working environment, it has been questioned upon many times be4, maybe this will be a wake-up call

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infekt)
    im with him with this one ... mayb if u had complained earlier , since u say it got burned 4 weeks ago . i got burnt once too and man imwiht u ... it hurts like a ***** . Mayb you could file suit about not having appropriate first aid or sumthin ?
    i was taken to hospital straight away, i had to keep goin evey day for two weeks for check ups and to have my blisters drained, i have an appointment with a solicitor tomorrow, thats the earliest i could get, i have pictorial evidence from the very day i did it, and also a diary of date and times spent in and out of hospital, this was advice given to me by a police officer
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    yes it shouldn't have happened, yes you could take them to court over it. But then again, that really is a pathetic burn. Couldn't you do better? I broke both my legs and work was in a wheelchair for 9 weeks and had to put off my career. I didn't take them to court because I know they are a good employer and I enjoy my job.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Look in the yellow pages for solicitors that deal with emplyment law. They should give you initial advice free, so you can see what they say.

Also, you'll be eligable for legal aid if you don't earn much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    yes it shouldn't have happened, yes you could take them to court over it. But then again, that really is a pathetic burn. Couldn't you do better? I broke both my legs and work was in a wheelchair for 9 weeks and had to put off my career. I didn't take them to court because I know they are a good employer and I enjoy my job.
    pathetic burn?? i had to have the blisters drained 4 times, i wouldnt call that too pathetic would u
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    pathetic burn?? i had to have the blisters drained 4 times, i wouldnt call that too pathetic would u
    yeah sorry maybe after seeing my mate in ICU and then have plastic surgery after a work accident has warped my mind

ReputationRep:
    unlucky; does it hurt?

do you like the job? if so, dont bother.

as an aside, i burnt a bit of my finger. i just ran it under a little water, and the skins gone black now; new skin underneath i guess

ReputationRep:
    That sounds as though it was horrendous!
    I can't imagine the pain you were in when that happened:

a) Falling and getting hurt
    b) Getting absolutely singed on the hotplate

I hope it heals up too!

As for the way forward, I'm not a massive fan of litigation culture - but this looks genuine. Accidents do happen, but if your employer was well aware of the dangers of a slippy floor near hot instruments - they deserve all that's coming. This is a case of negligence on the part of the employer, the accident was their fault - not yours.

My advice: sue the pants off of them.

And while I'm here - a little true story: A few weeks ago, I was visiting Leeds Uni on a rainy Thursday morning. Whilst walking near the Student Union, I was accosted by two women with clipboards. They were asking all sorts of questions about whether I'd had a fall or injury in the last 18 months. I said no, and yet they were still pushing and prompting me to say something. I had to plan a sneaky escape when one of them paused for breath, as they seemed reluctant to let me go!

Simply put - negligence in the workplace leading to injury = money.

ReputationRep:
    I would say the obvious question is why are you looking to sue them?

Is it to extract as much money as is possible?

Is it to seek compensation equal to any financial loss you may have incurred?

or are you looking to force them to make their workplace a safe environment.

If it is either of the latter 2, can this be achieved without resorting to litigation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    yeah sorry maybe after seeing my mate in ICU and then have plastic surgery after a work accident has warped my mind
    perhaps u should think sometimes... yes its superficial compared to some injuries but either way it shouldnt have happened, and all i want to do is to prevent it happening again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    That sounds as though it was horrendous!
    I can't imagine the pain you were in when that happened:

a) Falling and getting hurt
    b) Getting absolutely singed on the hotplate

I hope it heals up too!

As for the way forward, I'm not a massive fan of litigation culture - but this looks genuine. Accidents do happen, but if your employer was well aware of the dangers of a slippy floor near hot instruments - they deserve all that's coming. This is a case of negligence on the part of the employer, the accident was their fault - not yours.

My advice: sue the pants off of them.

And while I'm here - a little true story: A few weeks ago, I was visiting Leeds Uni on a rainy Thursday morning. Whilst walking near the Student Union, I was accosted by two women with clipboards. They were asking all sorts of questions about whether I'd had a fall or injury in the last 18 months. I said no, and yet they were still pushing and prompting me to say something. I had to plan a sneaky escape when one of them paused for breath, as they seemed reluctant to let me go!

Simply put - negligence in the workplace leading to injury = money.
    yes it hurt, but not compared to how much my bank balance hurt for the two weeks i was off, i dont want the money really, ill only waste it anyway, but if this is the only way to get results then so be it

ReputationRep:
    yes it hurt, but not compared to how much my bank balance hurt for the two weeks i was off, i dont want the money really, ill only waste it anyway, but if this is the only way to get results then so be it
    If you have a modocum of respect for the people there, then don't sue them. Out of interest, are you still an employee of theirs?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you'd get anything, but the threat of bad publicity may encourage a company to try to offer you something to shut you up. During the period between finishing college last year and doing my BMAT, I worked for ASDA. I managed (the sort of stupid idiot I am.. ) to burn myself on an electric sealing device. I made sure it got recorded in the accident book, pointed out that I'd never been given formal training on it (as if someone with 4 A's at A-level and now off to Cambridge to do medicine needed to be told not to touch a very hot piece of wire..! )...

I then used the fact that I COULD complain to blag getting away without doing any work for the rest of the time I was there..!

PS - nice leg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    If you have a modocum of respect for the people there, then don't sue them. Out of interest, are you still an employee of theirs?
    yes i am, and yes i do like my job, but like the nurse at the hospital says "its accident central", they get at least 1 patient every day from the park (the american adventure them park that is)

ReputationRep:
    yes i am, and yes i do like my job, but like the nurse at the hospital says "its accident central", they get at least 1 patient every day from the park (the american adventure them park that is)
    Is this just a temporary thing, or do you intend to be there in 3 years time?

American Adventure could easily absorb a claim, I would probably have reservations about this kind of thing if it was a small business.

Whatever you do, if you plan to sue, don't speak to your superiors at American Adventure about this under any circumstances - and seek legal advice rapidly.

I'll resist the obvious "strike while the iron's hot" joke.

ReputationRep:
    Ok for one if you take them to court you might find it hard to get another job. right secondly it IS a pathetic burn, it won't stop you from working and you should get sick pay legally anyhow!

Its their floor yes, but they're your legs just cos you can't coordinate them properly doesn't mean they owe you money!! Would you sue the council if you triped on a crack in the pavement? when it was quiet obviously not the council's fault.

Get a grip, its people like you sueing everyone that pushes insurance premiums up! take some f'ing responsibility for your own actions and deal with it!!!! YOU TRIPED, you were not pushed.

edit.. people like you make me sick.

ReputationRep:
    i fell over at work
    She fell-over-a

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.