Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm undecided. I'd say just go to Health + Safety people, explain how you fell - due to the floor or whatever you want to say, show photos of the burnt arm, say "I don't think it should happen again", subtly hint at the legal possibility, but just don't sue. It'll be a sad thing if England becomes as litigious a country as America, and it just throws a spanner in the works of real law-suits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    hit a nerve? come on face it, perhaps you might just of been clumsy!
    no i can tell u that im not, and also would u say that that burn is just tiny? no its not and u know it, ur just trying to make out that u wouldnt even bother to think about making a claim if it happend to u, ur human (or at least i think u are) of course u would.

u wernt there and u cant referee on what happened so dont bother to think that u do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    no i can tell u that im not, and also would u say that that bour is just tiny? no its not and u know it, ur just trying to make out that u wouldnt even bother to think about making a claim if it happend to u, ur human (or at least i think u are) of course u would.

u wernt there and u cant referee on what happened so dont bother to think that u do
    I wouldn't sue the company i work for becouse i got a little bit of a burn after I tripped over no. For one i'd like to keep my job and have the prospects of getting another one sometime in the future and secondly i take responsibility for my actions.

But you've just told everyone the situation, so people who said "Yes sue" were there? are you going to tell them they're wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    I wouldn't sue the company i work for becouse i got a little bit of a burn after I tripped over no. For one i'd like to keep my job and have the prospects of getting another one sometime in the future and secondly i take responsibility for my actions.

But you've just told everyone the situation, so people who said "Yes sue" were there? are you going to tell them they're wrong?
    no, im saying ure making it out to be a mockery and not actually giving a valid reason as to why u think i shouldnt sue, i dont want to have to do this

ReputationRep:
    no, im saying ure making it out to be a mockery and not actually giving a valid reason as to why u think i shouldnt sue, i dont want to have to do this
    Then don't. Instead, talk to the company's people responsible for this area, explain your situation and why you should be reimbursed for your time spent away from work. Also, it is partly your fault, it's not as if you lost your arm because the company left heavy duty machines on when they shouldn't have, it was only a slippy floor...

ReputationRep:
    ill give u a few of reasons as to why im doing this:

1. no sign put out to say the floor was a danger= negligence

2.comlaints made b4 about the floor and nothing being done=negligence

3.when questioned about appropriate footwear, mine were given the all clear... by the H.R manager= negligence

4.the floor had not be properly cleaned from the day b4 therefore leaving it in an unsatisfactory state=negligence

ReputationRep:
    Nevertheless, have you talked to the company about this? People nowadays often forget to do this and instead hire some crackerjack lawyer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stumbleines)
    Nevertheless, have you talked to the company about this? People nowadays often forget to do this and instead hire some crackerjack lawyer.
    i have, the catering assitant manager, and no progress was made, perhaps if this hadnt happend and it was resolved then i wouldnt have to have taken it this far.

also this lawer is no crakerjack hes a family friend and one of the best in the region, why do u think i couldnt get in till today

ReputationRep:
    i have, the catering assitant manager, and no progress was made, perhaps if this hadnt happend and it was resolved then i wouldnt have to have taken it this far.

also this lawer is no crakerjack hes a family friend and one of the best in the region, why do u think i couldnt get in till today
    Why catering? Why not someone in charge of cleaning and maintenance? Why not someone in the health + safety department?

Fair enough about the lawyer then. As for the question, holiday/family commitments/laziness on his part - there's a whole host of reasons, in short.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stumbleines)
    Why catering? Why not someone in charge of cleaning and maintenance? Why not someone in the health + safety department?

Fair enough about the lawyer then. As for the question, holiday/family commitments/laziness on his part - there's a whole host of reasons, in short.
    because shes my boss and also in charge of all the health and safty of the food outlets on the park, thats why i spoke to her and not the catering manager

ReputationRep:
    because shes my boss and also in charge of all the health and safty of the food outlets on the park, thats why i spoke to her and not the catering manager
    Come to think of it, I don't really care . Fine, fine, go and sue, or seek compensation, or whichever you want to get the most money from.

ReputationRep:
    i'd say try for personal induries compensation. i'm in the middle of doing this after a car accident i had in april and i've had to have physio and silly amounts of pain killers for my back. i wouldn't have thought to claim (cos i still think i was very lucky considering my car was a write off) and my mum only had bruising (she was passenger), but our insurance company were pretty insistant we should, and my mum has already had her cheque, but i haven't seen my consultant yet (i go monday)... i'm just seeing it as a bit extra to get me through uni

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    I always laugh at the personal injury claim where the woman isn't looking where she is going in the kitchen and falls over and in the same advert you get the man who falls flat on his face for being given "the wrong type of ladder".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raagyone)
    I always laugh at the personal injury claim where the woman isn't looking where she is going in the kitchen and falls over and in the same advert you get the man who falls flat on his face for being given "the wrong type of ladder".

yeah surely he should of given this "wrong type of ladder" back and gotten a new one???

its pathetic that people can't take responsiblity for their actions these days. If someone had of left a blow torch on the hot plate and it'd exploded then theres a case for sueing, but slipping on your own arse is your own problem.

i slipped on a tiled floor, but it was 10.30 in the morning and there was no reason for anything to be on the floor as id only just started work, but it being a fast food resturant it is generally a quite greasy place to work and obviously whoever had worked in there the day b4 had not taken time to clean the floor properly, there was no sign warning me, and yes there have been accidents on that kind of floor b4 (tho not in the same place), a girl broke her arm, but she never did anything about it.
    Where I work, if the floor had not been cleaned properly from the day before and we could see that, we would have cleaned it ourselves - in a way, it was negligent of *you* not to clean it and leave it in a dangerous state!

Incidentally, I think you said somewhere that you are mainly doing this to teach them a lesson and you aren't bothered about the money (or something along those lines)..? If so, will you be donating any money you do get to charity?

ReputationRep:
    Hotplates tend to be hot. Tough **** basically.

For future reference - don't touch obviously hot things, and never stick your head in anything with "HEAD REMOVER" written on it.

ReputationRep:
    i fell over at work, and i put my arm on the hotplate burning all my skin of my arm and hand, ive spoken to quite a few people about my ordeal and all have said i have a right to make an idustrial injury claim.

this is a picture take 2 days ago, it will be 4 weeks today (3/8/04) since i did it, it will probably be scarred
    Providing you filled in the accident book, you can take action (it will cost you though!)

If you didn't your position is compromised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraduateMedic)
    Providing you filled in the accident book, you can take action (it will cost you though!)

If you didn't your position is compromised.

how did you do that fluffy?

ReputationRep:
    My brother once thought about claiming for an accident he had at work but then thought if he did he would be seen as a liability to the company and would be given lower paid work or something so he wouldn't have another accident.

Also....if people are thinking of others when they sue for an accident (i.e. they want to make sure it won't happen again) then maybe they could give the money they recieve to their employer so they can use it to make sure it doesn't happen again.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend came home from work once and told me "we had to clear this stuff out of the hotel roof". Turned out to be asbestos... ! Now THAT is a bad company - having you trip and fall onto a piece of equipment is quite different from giving you instructions to do something illegal and life-endangering!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.