Turn on thread page Beta

industrial injury claim watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raagyone)
    I always laugh at the personal injury claim where the woman isn't looking where she is going in the kitchen and falls over and in the same advert you get the man who falls flat on his face for being given "the wrong type of ladder".
    I always feel like re-dubbing that to say something like- "Not looking where you were going in the kitchen? Too stupid to use a ladder properly? Then you're a ****. Call us today to discuss a no-win, no-fee deal on 0800-IM-A-****, and maybe by next time you'll have some common sense".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    My boyfriend came home from work once and told me "we had to clear this stuff out of the hotel roof". Turned out to be asbestos... ! Now THAT is a bad company - having you trip and fall onto a piece of equipment is quite different from giving you instructions to do something illegal and life-endangering!
    yeah exactly, thats really dangerous and not warning him what he was dealing with is just wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    My boyfriend came home from work once and told me "we had to clear this stuff out of the hotel roof". Turned out to be asbestos... ! Now THAT is a bad company - having you trip and fall onto a piece of equipment is quite different from giving you instructions to do something illegal and life-endangering!
    If they can get away with one, they'll do the other. Sue the *******s until they squeal. It's the only way to make 'em honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    If they can get away with one, they'll do the other. Sue the *******s until they squeal. It's the only way to make 'em honest.
    I wish we agreed on Ireland Weejimmie...

I like your outlook on other stuff!

ReputationRep:
    wow this is a dumb thread, how does one fall on a wet floor and manage to break that fall with a hot plate? was there no where else to put your hand? This is almost as dumb as the thread where u asked whether or not you were still a virgin after getting penetrated because the guy didnt ***....... you need to f*cking wake up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuniE)
    wow this is a dumb thread, how does one fall on a wet floor and manage to break that fall with a hot plate? was there no where else to put your hand? This is almost as dumb as the thread where u asked whether or not you were still a virgin after getting penetrated because the guy didnt ***....... you need to f*cking wake up
    wot ever

ReputationRep:
    i really couldnt give a **** any more

ReputationRep:
    Slightly related:

Did anyone just watch Malcolm in the Middle. There was an example of unnecessary litigation if ever I saw one. The granny sues her own daughter (the mother) who only avoids being declared bankrupt once the lawyer realises that he won't get much money out of them as they have no insurance, so calls off the legal action!

I fully agree with the original poster that they should sue, if what they have mentioned regarding other incidents is true. If the company is negligent and not providing a safe working environment then they need to change and become more safety concious. If litigation is the only way that they can be forced into doing so then so be it.

Examples of "accidents" that should never result in litigation are rife, but some of the examples are poor. Regarding the advert with the incorrect ladder being used resulting in a fall. Yes it may appear obvious that such a ladder should not be used, but to somebody in a low-paid job with no job-security they are unlikely to question their boss. It is the companies duty to ensure that a safe workplace is provided, or at least that everyone knows the risks involved. I may know the ladder is not suitable, you may know the ladder is not suitable, but did he?

A good example would be say working on high-voltage electricity lines. There is a phenomenon known as Induction that allows a high-voltage to be present even if the line is physically disconnected from the grid. The power induced can, and has on many occasions been enough to kill. That is not taught to people at school, and would not come under common sense in my opinion, *BUT* to a skilled linesman, A-Level physics student etc it is obvious, as that is how transformers work. If a company did not hammer home the point that you *MUST* ground all lines before working on them, even if they are disconnected then they are liable.

This same principle applies to a lot of things. What may appear obvious to some, may be alien to others and when H&S is involved you have to err on the side of caution.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.