Kane10101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can I lie on my personal statement and get away with it? I really want to say I got a gold certificate in UKMT senior challenge, If im not being interviwed surely I could get away with it.
h.yasin
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hi,

If you honestly believe that a 6th form/college/uni won't do a background check- don't even bother in the first place. Trust me, you do not want the embarrassment of being confronted with your own lie in your interview. If it doesn't happen then, then soon enough...the truth will come to light.

All dramatics aside though, be confident in yourself and your capabilities. To lie in your personal statement isn't the best thing to do. It's the first thing that the admission board/tutors will see. It just suggests to me that you are insecure and are looking for ways to validate yourself (which is probably the polar opposite impression you are trying to give).

Bottom line is, no matter what happens in life, stick by a moral ground (i.e don't cheat,lie,steal etc). It's more valuable to be a morally upright person rather than just have loads of accolades.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Only lie if you can cover it… so something to that extent I'd say dont do it unless they cant check which i dont think they would. It's your own call but you probably wont get caught
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kane10101)
I really want to say I got a gold certificate in UKMT senior challenge, If im not being interviwed surely I could get away with it.
Just go the whole hog and put a degree on your CV. What could possibly be wrong with that?!

If you really want to lie, then you're not the sort of person that universities, or employers, want.
Shadow Hunters
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your school won't send it if it's got a huge lie in it. It's not worth it.
AAls
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your teachers will grill you when they notice you lied. It's a big thing to lie about because imo gold ukmt is enough to warrant a maths/ related subject offer at a lot of Russell groups.
HANNAHBENLOLO
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well - that's a major lie. I've known people who had little/medium lies on their UCAS applications (for example, about a grade/UMS in certain module) and that was sent by the sixth form and they ended up just fine. Another example is predicted grades. In your case, inventing a gold certificate in UKMT senior challenge altogether is quite heavy. I wouldn't do it tbh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (653)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (823)
42.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.47%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.48%

Watched Threads