Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Can i claim tax back?

ok so im 20......startin uni in sept/oct and ive being working for an agency over the summer and they have being taxing me like loaddddddssssss

my tax code is BR.....whats that? and lets say i get paid £275 weekly, i get taxed £60 weekly....is that normal?

If i can claim it back, how do i go about doing it and when? thanx x x

ReputationRep:
    Same has happened to me,

BR= basic rate, which is what most full time workers pay.

"But you don't have to pay tax on everything. Everybody can earn a certain amount (known as the Personal Allowance) before they start paying tax or National Insurance. At the moment, the personal allowance is £4,895."

Pay/wages
    If you think you have paid too much tax you can ask your Tax Office for a repayment claim form P50 (PDF 75K). Or, you can ask your Tax Office to review your tax position at the end of the tax year to see if you might be due a repayment.

You can find out how to contact your Tax Office by going to the Contact Us pages.

The time limit for making a repayment claim is five years and ten months from the end of the tax year. For example, you must make a claim for repayment of tax paid in the tax year that ended in April 2000 by 31 January 2006.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/over...x_back_1_1.htm

I need to do this too, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgirl)
    Same has happened to me,

BR= basic rate, which is what most full time workers pay.

"But you don't have to pay tax on everything. Everybody can earn a certain amount (known as the Personal Allowance) before they start paying tax or National Insurance. At the moment, the personal allowance is £4,895."

Pay/wages
    If you think you have paid too much tax you can ask your Tax Office for a repayment claim form P50 (PDF 75K). Or, you can ask your Tax Office to review your tax position at the end of the tax year to see if you might be due a repayment.

You can find out how to contact your Tax Office by going to the Contact Us pages.

The time limit for making a repayment claim is five years and ten months from the end of the tax year. For example, you must make a claim for repayment of tax paid in the tax year that ended in April 2000 by 31 January 2006.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/students/over...x_back_1_1.htm

I need to do this too, lol.
    You can't claim tax back until the end of the financial year can you??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolly-88)
    I think you can do it whenever.

Check the website, I'm sure it'll tell you.

ReputationRep:
    I called my tax office yesterday and they said that the tax I'd paid would be refunded in my next pay packet, (ie the end of september).
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    you should have filled in a P38 although you're not really a student till september starts so i don't think that counts. i don't think you can claim it back because like i said you're not officially a student till september, you're just an adult, being taxed rightly...

someone correct me if i'm wrong.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by January Victim)
    you should have filled in a P38 although you're not really a student till september starts so i don't think that counts. i don't think you can claim it back because like i said you're not officially a student till september, you're just an adult, being taxed rightly...

someone correct me if i'm wrong.
    You're wrong.

No one pays tax on the first just over £5000 they earn each tax year. So if you only work full time over the summer, it's unlikely you'd earn that much.

You can't claim back NI paments though.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    well she's being taxed for whatever she's earning, meaning she's obviously earning over the limit.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by January Victim)
    well she's being taxed for whatever she's earning, meaning she's obviously earning over the limit.
    No. Because the limit is yearly, but it makes no sense to do it that way as you'd pay no tax for a few weeks, a bit of tax for the next few, more for the next etc and it would be hard to budget. So they charge the tax if you earn over a certain amount weekly.

That works out OK for most people, but for some who only work certain periods of time it causes problems.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :ditto: Its annoying - although at my last job the tax was given back to me in my last pay check which i thought was weird, so i didn't have to claim it back.

ReputationRep:
    The limits 5220 - you should therefore have a tax code of 522L. I've had exactly the same problem as you, but after going to my tax office I changed the BR code I was given.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.