Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's right! Blackpool's lights are switching on this weekend and who better to turn them on than David Tennant of Doctor Who. Something you won't expect is a small ice cream van with a satelite dish on the South Pier with a comical young man, Russell Brand!!

Who's going?

Russell Brand is a great comidian and I'm making sure I go there to see Matt and Russell - they are doing their radio show from there

ReputationRep:
    I might go, if I have money left for the train by weekend...

ReputationRep:
    I despise the Illuminations. It makes traffic along the promenade unbearable. All for some crappy lights too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyril Sneer's Nose)
    I despise the Illuminations. It makes traffic along the promenade unbearable. All for some crappy lights too.
    Miserable old bugger.

ReputationRep:
    nah, i'd rather go to the firework world championships on sunday night, then every friday after that for 3 weeks

saw most of the lights last night as they were testing them and i happened to be going along the prom.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the appeal in seeing lights switched on. Why do people get so excited by this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertin du Nord)
    Miserable old bugger.
    I am a miserable old bugger indeed. Hate them.

ReputationRep:
    I'd quite like to go along.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Segat1)
    I don't see the appeal in seeing lights switched on. Why do people get so excited by this?
    I think it's more about the atmosphere and (for some) the celebrities than the lights.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, Blackpool illuminations are the biggest letdown and nuisance ever. Especially those ones that just advertise McDonalds!

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't agree more. A few years ago, I happened to be in St Annes at the beinning of illuminations season, and had to get home. i was driving, and got to squires gate. It makes the M25 look tame. Happily, once I got to the front of the queue, I was able to turn right, past the airport.

Thatsaid, despite the illuminations being tacky, a waste of money, and keeping Blackpools efforts for regeneration in the dark ages, I can't say no to David Tennant, so I'm probably going to head on down tomorrow evening.

ReputationRep:
    The day they get rid of the illuminations will be a sad day for Blackpool.

Almost as bad as if Simon Grayson goes to Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    Can't see why you'd be such a miserable bugger - they're a great reason to visit Blackpool and they're not tacky because a top designer came in and added some new spark to the collection.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, shame about Brand being there... ;dry;

A waste of money, a senseless "attraction", an irredeemable emitter of carbon dioxide gas, and only ever of entertainment to small children and witless morons.

But enough about Russell Brand. Ho!

ReputationRep:
    tried booking a weekend in blackpool for the weekend the lights were being turned on - not a chance so im going surfing in nequay instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rt)
    Can't see why you'd be such a miserable bugger - they're a great reason to visit Blackpool and they're not tacky because a top designer came in and added some new spark to the collection.
    I cant deny they bring more tourists here bringing some much needed money to the town. Its mainly the traffic problems which bug me. Im a miserable old bugger in general these days

ReputationRep:
    Brand is on south pier in an icecream van on saturday. i just read it in the blackpool gazette

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    A waste of money, a senseless "attraction", an irredeemable emitter of carbon dioxide gas, and only ever of entertainment to small children and witless morons.

But enough about Russell Brand. Ho!
    I don't defend Blackpool but it's not a waste of money because it's a big attraction and different. Entertainment in Blackpool is great also.

can we play nice please

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.