Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going up in October to Wadham and this evening have tried to work out finances.

Once accomodation and food is taken into account, (dinner and lunches in hall) it seems like I have £30 left per week. Is this enough?

To me it seems that it's going to be very tough to live off, going out once a week if that, little money for phone credit, unable to save for ball tickets etc etc etc.

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I certainly spend more than that, though I bet it could be done if you really can't earn any more during vacations? Might it be cheaper to prepare your own food instead of always eating in hall? Don't know what food prices at other colleges are like compared to Magdalen, but for lunch at least I'd save a fortune if I made my own instead of eating bar food!

ReputationRep:
    I for one spend that or less in a week. If you don't drink too much and don't smoke then I reckon you can easily live off £30 a week if the big costs of food/accommodation are taken care of! and yes, just buying bread and eating your own food now and then makes a big difference.

Edit: If you believe what Athena says, you wouldn't want to eat in food all the time anyway.

ReputationRep:
    why not try for the government and university grants?

ReputationRep:
    My parents earn too much to make me even remotely eligible. Problem is my parents said they would help me out if I quit my job so I could focus on my A levels. I did so and was then unable to find any work whatsoever over the summer. They've then decided not to help me out which leaves me a little screwed.

ReputationRep:
    give them a slap or pretend you live on your own and then apply for a grant

ReputationRep:
    yeah its a great system isn't it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tenoch)
    My parents earn too much to make me even remotely eligible. Problem is my parents said they would help me out if I quit my job so I could focus on my A levels. I did so and was then unable to find any work whatsoever over the summer. They've then decided not to help me out which leaves me a little screwed.
    If it's a big problem I'm sure they'll help out. It's definitely do-able though, just be sensible and don't go out clubbing every night. You can do fun stuff on the cheap like chatting to friends or playing pool in the JCR or watching DVDs or whatever.

If it makes you feel any better, I did a similar calculation to you in 1st year and worked out I had about £10 a week to spend by the same statistics, but I spent considerably less than I accounted for on food by buying my own and actually underspent for the year. I still had fun too, I was just careful with money.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that.

It is possible to live off £30 a week not including rent and food ... it's certainly mroe than enough. And as has been pointed out, cooking your own food is a lot, lot cheaper than eating in hall (and you know exactly what it is you're eating and how fatty etc it is). As I've mentioned on similar threads, I'm a bit of a tightwad, but the whole Oxford experience doesn't need to be hugely expensive.

Have you explained to your parents about the 'expected parental contribution' on your loan form? It does say on the student finance bumph that they don't expect people ot be able to live off the minimum loan without the parental contribution (or the same amount from your own savings). If you impress your parents with a sensible and well thought out projected budget and show them exactly how much extra you imagine you'll need, maybe they'll change their minds. Not sure that your college would help you out if your parents aren't paying but have been assessed as able to pay (my college won't), but possibly worth asking? If you run into trouble later, there are emergency grants at a lot of colleges, whatever your circumstances.

If your parents won't pay, then that amount (and then some!) is easily earnable during the vac. I'm on course for £2100 over the year and that's less than full time shop work. Look for work over Christmas, when shops etc need lots of extra staff, plus once a place has trained you up (and know you're a good worker etc) you're well in there for work every vac.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wadham's breakfast and lunch is nice (better than dinner, IMO), but you can eat more cheaply by getting your own stuff (especially at breakfast!). What subject will you be studying?

ReputationRep:
    Obviously I don't know your exact circumstances, but this is not necessarily true. Government loans/grants etc have very rigid criteria, but the university and college grants are really quite flexible. It will vary at different colleges, but at my college, if you want an award, you fill in a form at the beginning of the year, listing your sources of money, your expenses etc etc and thye decide whether to give you money on that basis. If you explained the lack of parental help, then however wealthy they may be, the college will probably be willing to give you some support.
    I was in a similar position and whilst I was panicking about funds, I assumed I wouldn't be in a bad enough situation to get anything, but have received a really quite substantial grant every year so far, which has really helped me.
    The richer colleges are desperate to give money away. So give it a go...

ReputationRep:
    I'm going up in October to Wadham and this evening have tried to work out finances.

Once accomodation and food is taken into account, (dinner and lunches in hall) it seems like I have £30 left per week. Is this enough?

To me it seems that it's going to be very tough to live off, going out once a week if that, little money for phone credit, unable to save for ball tickets etc etc etc.

Any thoughts?
    I spend less than that if you exclude food (I spend about £35 a week including some meals). Admittedly I don't go clubbing but I do drink a fair bit in pubs/bars, I eat out, I go to the cinema, all the other usual social expenses. So I'd guess that £30 a week would be more than enough

And I agree that the system is ridiculous - my dad retired recently, but until he did, I was eligible for minimum loan, and when I compared my income with my ex-boyfriend's, who was eligible for maximum loan and lots of grants, it basically equates to the government assuming my parents would give me about £2700 a year. My parents actually gave me about half that, so I had more than £1000 a year less to live on than my ex.

ReputationRep:
    think about freshers week - you'll be spending £15+ at least 3 times as well as general social expenses. it is expenive it really is. there's all those times when someone goes 'anyone fancy going to the pub for an hour' and if you turn them down early on in your oxford career you could really regret it. i don't think £30/week is doable at all - remember - the 1st year is the one where you can have the most fun.

(Original post by jack_sparrow)
    It's a ridiculous system, if my parents chose not to assist me financially, all i'd be eligible for would be the £3,385 off the government.

Subtract my accomodation = £3,385 - £3,050

Leaves me with £335 a year or £111.70 per term.

Or £13.96 a week. With no money for freshers week. So more like £10 a week once you take freshers week into account (joining stuff).

£1.43 a day to get 3 square meals and entertain yourself. All because my parents are married/have high paying jobs.
    Count yourself lucky. It was worse when I started because if you didn't qualify for support (because your parents were rich), then you didn't qualify for tuition fee support either!

No one claims the maintenance loan alone is enough to live on. Oxford is actually a relatively cheap uni to be at rent-wise, and this means unlike lots of students at other unis, it's not necessary (and also highly discouraged) for us to have term-time jobs. Most people do, however, have vacation jobs.

A couple of weeks on minimum wage at Christmas and Easter, and a few weeks in summer can bring in up to £2000/year without sacrificing too much of your time. This makes the books balance.

And if you are having a tough time securing employment, or have any extra costs, as has been mentioned, Oxford colleges are relatively generous with their financial support if you explain your situation honestly.

ReputationRep:
    *sigh* I wish I could find an employer willing to take someone who can only work the Oxford vacations, but where I live, most shops seem to prefer people who can work part-time all year round, rather than full-time half the year. I take it most TSR users haven't had that problem, though? I know I should look for bar work, but my mum is very protective and doesn't want me to work in a pub :p: I probably could have found something if I'd looked hard enough, but I live vaguely within my means and have parents who are happy to slip me a bit of extra money if I want ball tickets or a black tie dress, so the impetus to get a job was never there. The only time I did work was the summer after first year, to earn the money I needed to cover the expense of living out.

It's all water under the bridge anyway - I'm a finalist now, so I suspect working over Christmas and Easter next year would be a bad idea

ReputationRep:
    A supermarket or somewhere with a high turnover of staff (so long as it's not for too dire reasons!) might be a good place to try if there's a lack of seasonal work and temping agencies aren't much good - so they'll be happy to have you back whenever you can (well, it works very nicely for me and a couple of friends at other places). Somewhere where you only need a couple of days training, but once you're trained they'll want to keep you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quistis)
    *sigh* I wish I could find an employer willing to take someone who can only work the Oxford vacations...
    Is 'NHS Professionals' used in your area? I'd recommend them, I've always been able to get as many shifts as I've wanted during the vacations & the work is obviously relevant.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard of them operating round here, but they may; I'll look it up in preparation for next summer. Thanks for the tip.

Do you have any time to work once you're in clinical school, btw?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    A CompSci I know had a £750 a week internship at DeutscheBank this summer, and was only paying £100 a week in accommodation at UCL halls - I wish I could do enough coaching a week to make that much money!

ReputationRep:

Any thoughts?
    It's doable (though I spend more than that by a fair bit).

If you're having trouble with finances, I strongly recommend you say if you're eligible for any grants or bursaries. The provisions made for poorer students at Oxford are excellent. If your parents earn less than £37,425 pa you'll be eligible for the Oxford Opportunity Bursary, which is a great scheme, and one you want to be involved in if you are eligible. On top of that, you can get non-repayable maintainance grants from your LEA if you are one of the poorer students. If after that, you're still hard-up financially (which would be difficult - the OOB is excellent and generous) colleges are always willing to help out if you are genuinely in need.

There is no reason for anyone not to come to Oxford due to financial circumstances.

http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/finance/bursaries/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 20, 2007
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.