Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So basically im worried about not being able to cope with what I've set myself up to do for A2. heres whats on my plate.

- I'm doing Physics, maths, bio and chem. Aiming for A's
    - I have swimming 4-5 times a week for hour sessions, sometimes 2 a day in the mornings and after school
    - I'm doing some music grades which involves some work
    - Im going to be headboy so i'll have little odd jobs to do for that. organising events etc.
    - other little things like I have some work experince in september.

AS was quite hard for me . Last year I did those 4 subjects and got 4 A's with alot of hard work. My grades are more important than extrcuricular things. I want to keep on swimming and I want to get my musics grades so I've been thinking about bailing on the Head Boy position. I know that it looks good on a uni aplication though and I'm looking to apply for Imperial college and maybe oxford so there is reason to keep it. I'm not a super human and I dont know if I can do all that for a year without being a recluse or having a mental breakdown so I wanted to know what you out there would do. any advice would be good. Anyone been in a similar position?

ReputationRep:
    I've no idea about actual work loads as I'm about to start AS, but in terms of whether or not you can cope...it depends on you really. I thrive under pressure and find I'm a lot more organised and efficient when my time is needed. For example, last year I had two lead roles in plays in the autumn and spring terms and an ensemble role thing, plus flute, plus service for D of E, plus tutoring younger years, plus obviously school work...which was brilliant really because I learnt really good time management skills. I did all the drama after school (looking in my old diary I had around 10 school nights off in one and a half terms) and divided up my lunch times doing the other extra cirriculars.

It worked pretty well because I just learnt how to manage my time and find time to do everything. It seems like you already have pretty brilliant time management skills looking at your AS results so basically it comes down to the question of whether you can cope or not....do you sorta freeze up under pressure and just get generally a bit miserable or does it work for you?

Also, I'm not sure whether you're prone to getting ill but there a couple of girls in my year who sort of overworked themselves and got seriously sick (i.e. taking whole terms off because they were medically properly ill....one girl had to just drop out of taking her GCSEs this summer) so bear that in mind...even if you can mentally cope with it all you might not be able to do it physically.

Also, one last point (sorry, I'm going on a bit), how much do you need to go over work at home on your own? Do you sort of just pick stuff up in class and therefore homework is usually quite straight forward or do you need to half reteach it to yourself etc...

If all of this is a load of crap because my points only apply at GCSE and not at A Level (for some reason) apologies, but yeah...hope you make the right decision for you!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    nRadd, I was in a similar position last year (Year 12); I did 5 AS levels (including Maths, Further Maths, and Physics), Young Enterprise (for which I was Managing Director for the 1st half of the year), Music Theory and Piano (now Grade 7), was a Senior Prefect so had a weekly duty and random little things to do, finished my DofE Silver (which included doing swimming for an hour a week), did Drugs Peer Education, helped to run a weekly lunchtime club, and various other little things.

It was very difficult and I'm pretty much exhausted now. This year I'm going to concentrate on my A2s (I'm continuing all 5 subjects) and university application, but still continue (slowly) with my Piano grades (dropping the Theory) and obviously the prefect duties. However, I'll try not to do any other activities that take up a lot of time (not sure why I've started to learn to drive then...).

Sorry for going on a bit about me.
    My advice would be to cut down on the swimming (do you really need 5 hours a week?), and focus on getting the grades at A2 and preparing for your university interviews. Everything else should be secondary to that.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend you make a list of the things that are most important to you - then write down how long they take up each week.

At the end of the day you can't do everything and do it well, it is absolutely essential to learn to prioritise.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I think the best thing would be to cut down on the swimming a bit - perhaps 2-3 times a week. You will still get the enjoyment factor out of it because you're not quitting outright, but you'd have much more time on your hands.

It's your decision whether you want to ditch the position of Head Boy, but if I was in your position I would always do it. Not because it looks good (I don't think it makes a huge difference personally, seeing it is only available at some schools and the selection process/responsibilities vary so widely between them), but because I personally would really enjoy it. (But then, I always really love doing things for the school and younger kids. Maybe you're not as keen!).

If you do that, I think your workload seems more manageable, although it obviously depends on how quickly and efficiently you can work. Do remember though that A2 becomes substantially harder, and that university applications can be a right pain in the backside, particularly if you have interviews, admission tests etc (what are you applying for, incidentally?).

I personally will have a similar workload with you next year, but seeing as I can become stressed easily I won't hesitate to drop an extra curricular, or perhaps a subject - my mental wellbeing is more important!

ReputationRep:
    You acknowledge academic work is the priority, so how about cutting swimming lessons by half and maybe give the music 'grades' a miss.

Seriously, be pro-active about it - if you think you can't manage, take steps before it's too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clasigirlcs)
    Also, one last point (sorry, I'm going on a bit), how much do you need to go over work at home on your own? Do you sort of just pick stuff up in class and therefore homework is usually quite straight forward or do you need to half reteach it to yourself etc...
    For subjects like Physics, Maths and Chem I can generally pick stuff up in class and the work I do outside of school is mainly homework and some reading. Biology i have to do alot of reading for at home because its one of those subjects where you just have to remember things. As for coping with pressure, I can manage it but I wouldn't say I thrive on. If I'm under pressure for too long I kinda get depressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    Hey I think the best thing would be to cut down on the swimming a bit - perhaps 2-3 times a week. You will still get the enjoyment factor out of it because you're not quitting outright, but you'd have much more time on your hands.

It's your decision whether you want to ditch the position of Head Boy, but if I was in your position I would always do it. Not because it looks good (I don't think it makes a huge difference personally, seeing it is only available at some schools and the selection process/responsibilities vary so widely between them), but because I personally would really enjoy it. (But then, I always really love doing things for the school and younger kids. Maybe you're not as keen!).

If you do that, I think your workload seems more manageable, although it obviously depends on how quickly and efficiently you can work. Do remember though that A2 becomes substantially harder, and that university applications can be a right pain in the backside, particularly if you have interviews, admission tests etc (what are you applying for, incidentally?).

I personally will have a similar workload with you next year, but seeing as I can become stressed easily I won't hesitate to drop an extra curricular, or perhaps a subject - my mental wellbeing is more important!
    Cutting back on swimming will probably help. I would rather ditch the Head boy position though because I'm noy really that keen on it but I've been getting mixed messages about how usefull it is for uni aplication. Most people (teachers and parents) seem to think thats it looks quite good, that it makes you stand out from other candidates, but then I have read other places that it's mainly academic ability and inerest in the subject thats important. I am aware that A2 becomes harder which is one of my concerns.

To answer your question, I'm applying for Physics and at the uni's i mentioned and I know it's very competitive.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I don't think your school would appreciate it if you chose not to take up the position of Head Boy, especially if they've already named you in front of everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    I don't think your school would appreciate it if you chose not to take up the position of Head Boy, especially if they've already named you in front of everyone.
    Thats why I'm hesitant to do it. For whatever reason I did it in the first place I've realised now that it could effect my grades and it doesnt seem like such a good idea anymore. I do appreciate that I was selected for the position and if bailed I'd be letting people down but in the end my grades are more important. There is a replacement for me and the only inconvenience I can see is that most people think that I'm Head boy and they'll have to anounce that I've quite and declare the new person (and some teachers won't like me but thats not a major problem)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If a teacher really hates you they might put that you rejected the position of Head Boy on your reference. It's unlikely, but you never know.
    I think you should take up the position; if it's anything like at our school, there isn't that much to do. You'll probably have to do some assemblies, give a few tours and maybe organise a couple of things. But surely you can defer some tasks to your deputy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afriad that to complete the academic treadmill that is A-levels you just have to drop everything else which would incidently make you a more rounded human being....

ReputationRep:
    Target what you do and you will manage. For example With biology the HGS site has excellant notes - so you can concentrate on the material etc...

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.