The Student Room Group

Admin assistant in law firm post-interview opinion (racist or... ?)

I just had an interview for an admin position at a law firm in London which lasted for under 10 minutes and I believe I got asked some weird / racist questions.

Firstly, although I made clear the fact that I didn't want to become a solicitor or barrister, the interviewer kept asking and bugging me about when I plan to start my LPC. I responded that I was still thinking about that and maybe sometime in the future. Towards the ending of the interview, I got asked again: "So when EXACTLY do you intend to do your LPC?" I was very tempted to reply: ''When I'll have the money AKA NEVER!!!", but I responded ''Perhaps next year" so they would leave me alone. Why do people expect everyone with a Law degree to do the LPC? The admin position has absolutely NO legal content!

Secondly, I am an EU graduate (non-British) but I graduated my Law degree with First class honours from a top London university and I worked extremely hard to achieve this. The interviewer asked me: ''So what is your level of English?''. Provided that I went to university in England, graduated with First class, wrote a first class dissertation in law, and have been living in the UK for over 4 years, what is with this question? I responded: ''Fluent. Professional working level.'' but the interviewer did not seem the least bit impressed. I added that I got an IELTS certificate and they looked at me as if they didn't know what that was and they asked me if the certificate was written in English. OF COURSEEEE

They also asked me if I knew about the accommodation prices in London and the overall costs of living. Again, I said that I had been living in east London for 4 years so I am obviously aware of the prices. What was the purpose of this question? Did they expect me to be shocked for having to pay £1000 per month to subsist in London?

They told me they would contact me, but I doubt that they will, based on the impression that I got. What do you think about the interview I've had? Do I have reasons to be suspicious or to worry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending