Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Passports watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do you need one to go to France? Or has it changed now we're in the EU? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Do you need one to go to France? Or has it changed now we're in the EU? :confused:
    i dont think so...when i went they didnt really check it...they didnt look inside they just saw i was British and let me through...i think though what they did is swipe the code bit on the last page...im not sure.

They had a special line for swiss people or some European country and they only checked IDs, and some British people went through there...check though because im not 100% sure...i was at Charles de Gaulles airport btw

You defenitley dont need a visa.

ReputationRep:
    You need your passport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    You need your passport.
    do other europeans need it aswell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    If they have an EU ID card-passport, then no.

ReputationRep:
    yes, if they are travelling to britain.

no, if they are travelling on land accross the EU

yes if they are travelling into/out of the EU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    yes, if they are travelling to britain.

no, if they are travelling on land accross the EU

oh i get it...england should get them id card things

ReputationRep:
    I think you just kind of wave it at them as you drive onto French soil if you go by ferry, but if you go by plane you will wave it at them at the Passport Control. So yes, you do need your passport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    If they have an EU ID card-passport, then no.
    First time I heard of: EU ID card-passport :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Not entirely correct, you can travel within the Schengen area without a passport (well - you may technically need to carry it if you're British, I'm not sure about that). These are the Schengen countries: Austria Belgium Denmark Finland France Germany Greece Iceland Italy Luxembourg Netherlands Norway Portugal Spain Sweden.

ReputationRep:
    you'll need one to get back in to britain for sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noctivaga)
    Not entirely correct, you can travel within the Schengen area without a passport (well - you may technically need to carry it if you're British, I'm not sure about that). These are the Schengen countries: Austria Belgium Denmark Finland France Germany Greece Iceland Italy Luxembourg Netherlands Norway Portugal Spain Sweden.
    you need some form of id though

ReputationRep:
    whats schengen mean? like whats it stand for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vladek)
    you'll need one to get back in to britain for sure
    ThornsnRoses originally asked whether other Europeans needed a passport to travel to France, and that's what I answered. Since I deleted the quote (quotes within quotes tend to become chaotic), it might have been a bit hard to spot what I was actually saying, I should have made it a bit clearer. And, of course, you're right in what you were saying, but "other Europeans" tend not to go "back in to Britain."

you need some form of id though
    For identification with the airline? That's the only thing I've needed ID for when travelling within the Schengen area, but one might as well bring one's passport, I always travel with my passport, even when I don't really need it.

ReputationRep:
    whats schengen mean? like whats it stand for
    Some European countries (frnce, spain, benelux and scandanavian countries - not sure of the full list) made an agreement years ago that instead of people who need a visa to enter a european country getting a visa for each country then they would issue a schengen visa instead. It's a visa for all countries in the schengen area. British citizens don't need a visa, ask any aussie in europe about it and they will give you chapter and verse.

Oh and yes you do need a passport for france - technically you can travel on other id but a passport is just easier. If you are going by ferry you just sort of wave it in the general direction of immigration (if there is someone on duty) if you are flying then they will take a closer look.

ReputationRep:
    you dont need a passport when travelling throught the new enlarged EU, so it makes my statement correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Oh and yes you do need a passport for france - technically you can travel on other id but a passport is just easier. If you are going by ferry you just sort of wave it in the general direction of immigration (if there is someone on duty) if you are flying then they will take a closer look.
    When I flew the people gave a cursory glance but when I used the ferry all the people in front of me were asked about their trip ("who is paying for your study?" was one of them..) Of course we just went right through cause we were coming home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    When I flew the people gave a cursory glance but when I used the ferry all the people in front of me were asked about their trip ("who is paying for your study?" was one of them..) Of course we just went right through cause we were coming home.
    Sorry I meant when you arrive in France, yeah comming home they are quite relaxed.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a passport to enter France but you will need one to re-enter the UK - the UK having refused to sign the Schengen agreement

ReputationRep:
    When are you going to France Ellieo?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.