The Student Room Group

working out degree classification

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

My weighting of my second and third year are 25% for second and 75% for third. For my second year we had six modules where I received 48% , 54% , 68% , 44%, 45% , 33%.They are all worth 20 credits each. Is it possible for me to get a 2.1 in my third year at all? If so, what percentages should I be aiming for to receive this result. In my third year i have 3 modules which are worth 20 credits each and dissertation is worth 40 credits.

Would it be possible for anyone to show me how to calculate my degree classification for my second year results.

Any help would be great. Thanks
Original post by saara123
Hi. I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

My weighting of my second and third year are 25% for second and 75% for third. For my second year we had six modules where I received 48% , 54% , 68% , 44%, 45% , 33%.They are all worth 20 credits each. Is it possible for me to get a 2.1 in my third year at all? If so, what percentages should I be aiming for to receive this result. In my third year i have 3 modules which are worth 20 credits each and dissertation is worth 40 credits.

Would it be possible for anyone to show me how to calculate my degree classification for my second year results.

Any help would be great. Thanks

This has already been answered for you on your other account: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4460726
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
This has already been answered for you on your other account: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4460726

i could not log on to the account so thats why i posted it again
i could not log on to the account so thats why i posted it again

You do not need to log in to read a thread.

This is simple primary school level arithmetic.

You need to average 60% or more overall and 25% of the total will come from your existing results, which average 48.67%, with 75% from the final year results.

Since the final year counts for three times more than the second year, you need to add your second year average to three times your third year average and calculate the total as a percentage of 400.

You need a contribution of at least 191.33 (or 3 x 63.78%) to carry you over the required 240 total (60% of 400) in your final year.
I had this question so many times that I thought I could make an App for this and sell it or make dough from advertising.

However when I looked in the app store it was full of apps for just this purpose.

Although I am seriously concerned that so many younger people do not know how to do this maths for themselves. This really isn't hard and I think the vast majority of students or adults should know how to do this once they leave compulsory education.
Original post by Luke7456
the vast majority of students or adults should know how to do this once they leave primary school.

Corrected.
The attached shows how your marks break down (and combine to form your overall mark)

But you REALLY need to speak to your tutor and/or refer to your student handbook to find out the precise rules around degree classifications.

Some courses round percentages up, others will use a viva for students within 2% of the next classification, others insist on a specific number of credits at a certain percentage in your final year (or no credits below a certain percentage).

Finally the 33% mark is something you need to look into - if you've progressed into third year then you've been allowed to progress with compensation for a failed module but that MIGHT cap your overall possible classification in some way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
The attached shows how your marks break down (and combine to form your overall mark)

But you REALLY need to speak to your tutor and/or refer to your student handbook to find out the precise rules around degree classifications.

Some courses round percentages up, others will use a viva for students within 2% of the next classification, others insist on a specific number of credits at a certain percentage in your final year (or no credits below a certain percentage).

Finally the 33% mark is something you need to look into - if you'e progressed into third year then you've been allowed to progress with compensation for a failed module but that MIGHT cap your overall possible classification in some way.

Thanks you have been then most helpful, I will be resisting that exam i received 33% for this year., hopefully that wont be capped.
I will be resisting that exam i received 33% for.

As Oscar Wilde said, I can resist anything but temptation (and, he might have added, the urge to re-sit exams).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending