The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh yea, but just because their parents doesnt mean theyre gonna be perfectly mature does it!
Reply 2
Don't worry. My mum drinks more than me, swears more, is untidier, wears lower cut tops and texts more than me. She's also superglued to her mp3 player which means I can never talk to her!
I think all parents go through a mid life crisis at some point and some peeps' way of dealing with it is to regress to a more childish state :smile:
Reply 3
Haha, I bet she doesn't have a pimped up exhaust on her Corsa Sport, a regular supply of weed and a massive love of G-Unit, Dizzee Rascal, Dr Dre & Akon.

Yes, that's my mom.

And...eh, don't worry about it. It's not like it's harming you is it? My mom's way more moody than me or my brother, that whole teenagers being moody and childish is just a stereotype. You'll live, it's not really a problem :P
Reply 4
Lol, my mum's the same. She split up with my dad a couple of years ago and ever since she's been acting like a teenager. She went through a stage last year where she was going out constantly getting drunk and hanging around with people who were about 18..she's 40. She even slept with my brother's best mate who was 18. Not one of her best ideas i've got to admit. My brother got ripped with a chorus of 'Matts mom has got it goin on' for a while.

She can be fun though! We go to gigs together and stuff. My dad's sensible so i have the balance of the two. :cool:

Maybe your mum will grow out of it.. my mum's definitely scared of getting old, that's probably why she's turned the way she is.
Reply 5
my mum has been acting like a teenager throughout my whole life, so don't worry your not alone. i agree its probably them just being scared of getting old.
Reply 6
Mine has tantrums, laughs at thing she shouldn't and enjoys all the cool music and going to concerts like Alice cooper, motley crue while im stuck liking boybands.
Reply 7
I know some people that this has happened to, and it has harmed them in a way. A few of my friends have noticed their parents doing this type of stuff just as we're off to uni.

Stuff like their parents spending savings they had for their university have been spent on new houses and cars and stuff which aren't necessary. My parents, for example, are moving very far away when I got to university, so I won't have a proper home to go to in the holidays, just a sofa, and I'll need to pay for flights.

It's not good, the people that you look to for stability being very irresponsible, at a time in our lives when we really need them, when up until now they've been so sensible and responsible. They could have waited another 5 years before they go loopy... honestly :smile:
The older my mum gets the more childish she becomes. Okay, she's not the most confident of people and has really low self-esteem, but still, it's her feelings that matter the most in the house and if she's upset me and my brother are both to blame :rolleyes: (seriously, she throws one tantrum and that's end of me doing anything remotely social for a month!)
My dad acts like a little child, but it's a joke and all my friends know that, unfortunately my mum's just serious about it!
You can't expect all adults to be mature all the time.

:p:
Kate.
Haha, I bet she doesn't have a pimped up exhaust on her Corsa Sport, a regular supply of weed and a massive love of G-Unit, Dizzee Rascal, Dr Dre & Akon.

Yes, that's my mom.

And...eh, don't worry about it. It's not like it's harming you is it? My mom's way more moody than me or my brother, that whole teenagers being moody and childish is just a stereotype. You'll live, it's not really a problem :P

What is this 'mom' you speak of?!?
Reply 11
SixMinuteMile
What is this 'mom' you speak of?!?

Shush, I've always said mom. So do most people I know! I hate mum, it just sounds wrong to me. I think 'mum' sounds more American than mom... :p:
Kate.
Shush, I've always said mom. So do most people I know! I hate mum, it just sounds wrong to me. I think 'mum' sounds more American than mom... :p:

British people can not say mom...or ass. It sounds awkward, like they have something in their mouth or they're trying to learn a word they've never said before. :biggrin:
I always say mom :confused: however, I agree we can't say ass :smile:
Reply 14
Forget teenager, my dad acts like a toddler!!!:eek:

My mum does act like a teenager. For one, she can be annoyingly obsessed with her appearance. I don't remember ever passing a mirror, window or particularly shiny car without my mother checking out her own reflection in it. Also puts on this REALLY irritating high giggle like she thinks she's all cute and bubbly (pssshhhht. She's fifty years old. Go put on a cardigan), and she skips around the house in this truly REVOLTING negligee that is way way WAY too thin and revealing and when she talks on the phone to what I can only assume to be her suitors she employs this REALLY irritating 'sultry' (HA!) voice and YES I'm glad she's protecting herself but dude, WHY did she have to ask me to fetch something out of her bag when she knew there was a condom in there for me to see?:frown:
SixMinuteMile
British people can not say mom...or ass. It sounds awkward, like they have something in their mouth or they're trying to learn a word they've never said before. :biggrin:

In parts of the midlands, 'mom' is actually the common version, and 'mum' might sound a bit weird. I forget which parts of the midlands now, but bear with me. Not cos of Americanism either, that's just the dialect. That's probably less so now that more and more people are sounding the same and dialects are being watered down a bit. But I just thought your claims were a tad unfair.

Carry on!
dogtanian
In parts of the midlands, 'mom' is actually the common version, and 'mum' might sound a bit weird. I forget which parts of the midlands now, but bear with me. Not cos of Americanism either, that's just the dialect. That's probably less so now that more and more people are sounding the same and dialects are being watered down a bit. But I just thought your claims were a tad unfair.

Carry on!

I've never met anyone from the midlands and since they don't have cameras or any of that up there I suppose i've never seen any of 'em on TV or anything. :biggrin:
Reply 17
I hate how stubborn parents can be. It's like talking to kids.
Reply 18
My dad has such pathetic mood swings, he seems incapable of being rational or thinking about anything other than what he wants right there and then. When shopping if he can't find what he wants in the first shop he looks in it's "Fed up now. Fed up now. Fed up now." And this is when shopping for something he actually wants himself. And other countless similarly annoying habits. I just want to yell at him to grow up.
Yes yes yes! Parents are complete idiots, especially my estranged mother who I haven't spoken to for something like 6 months now and I'm happy that way. She's so embarrasing, I can't even be with her in public.

Sorry if I sound highly positive and optimistic there, I'm in the minority.

Latest

Trending

Trending