WillJ1991
Badges: 2
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I'm Will - I've just been accepted to do my PGDipEd in Secondary Biology at the University of Birmingham. Anybody else going/hoping to go to Birmingham to do their teacher training?!

Introduce yourself here!

Looking forward to meeting you guys!
phie92
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Hi Will!

I'll be starting my teacher training at the Universiy of Birmingham in September also. I'll be doing Secondary English
I currently work as a teaching assistant and tutor at a secondary school and now I've been accepted on the course I'm just itching to get started!
Are you looking forward to starting?

Sophie
ErinMcClure
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi Sophie, My interview for Secondary English is on Tuesday! Could you give me any insight into how the day goes, what the questions are like and how you found the process? Thanks, Erin
phie92
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ErinMcClure)
Hi Sophie, My interview for Secondary English is on Tuesday! Could you give me any insight into how the day goes, what the questions are like and how you found the process? Thanks, Erin

Hi Erin,

I've just broken up for Christmas hols as I finished my first placement on Friday! More than happy to give you some info about the interview and course

If your interview is the same as mine, then I'm guessing you'll have been asked to give a presentation? The structure of my day was: talk from Sally (tutor for English teacher training at Birmingham), deliver presentations, written task, individual interviews. For me, the hardest part was the written task just because it wasn't what I expected! We had a MASSIVE article (I didn't even finish reading it) about the two main theories regarding the teaching of phonics at reception level. Our task was to write a summary and then our opinion. The individual interview questions were what you'd expect: why you want to be a teacher, why Birmingham, why secondary English, what qualities you have that would make a good teacher etc. I finished my interview day at about lunchtime, and about an hour later Sally emailed me offering me a place - so it was a very quick response!

Let me know if you would like any further information. Good luck for your interview. Sally can seem quite intimidating, but she's actually amazing so don't let her frighten you!

Sophie
ErinMcClure
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for the reply, had you passed your professional skills test before your interview? I haven’t completed mine yet and as a student from Northern Ireland haven’t had to do anything like that, is it difficult? Erin
eddy3105
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi will,I know its been 4 years ago but wanted to know how your interview day went such as what did you do etc.Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads