Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering but I have a place for 2004 but if I saw a uni/course that I preferred could I go through clearing? Hs anyone done this? Also has anyone got into oxbridge through clearing. I know it is pretty unlikely but I have hear a few stories. How does this happen? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to reject your offers (the unis sometimes get a bit pis$ed though). As for oxbridge you can get into some of the courses really easily - I heard about someone who (because they were a snob presumably) wanted to go to Oxbridge but couldn't get in on the course tehy wanted so re-applied for theology (when the original subject was something like engineering) and got an offer of something like DDE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    I think you have to reject your offers (the unis sometimes get a bit pis$ed though). As for oxbridge you can get into some of the courses really easily - I heard about someone who (because they were a snob presumably) wanted to go to Oxbridge but couldn't get in on the course tehy wanted so re-applied for theology (when the original subject was something like engineering) and got an offer of something like DDE.
    Sorry I don't believe this for a minute; theology has more applicants per place than engineering and the normal offer is AAA/AAB same as anything else. The only subjects I've ever seen advertised in clearing for Oxbridge are Education with something; I also know that some candidates who do much better than expected (ie straight A grades) have been accepted through (unadvertised) clearing for other subjects. Years ago it was certainly possible to get into Homerton at Cambridge with middling A-levels, but since it became a full college that is no longer true.

ReputationRep:
    from my mate whos in homerton now...you can stil get in in late august but not through clearing. they do it on a one to one basis and basically if you ring them up and beg hard enough you'll get a place.

when i didnt get in last year she rang to enquire about places (pretending to be me) and they said it was possible for me to get in....but i didnt want to. so we didnt enquire as to courses or anything more.

for anyone intrested, exeter is accepting people through clearing this year again deffinatly.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    hey
    will it work for medicine...as an international student?? if one begs reallly harddd ...and will it work b4 clearing as u said?

*caT*

ReputationRep:
    i have a place to do medicine (not at oxbridge) but since applying i have really wanted to do natsci. i was never told about it at school (yes, I know I should be old enough to look myself but schools are meant to give a little career guidance. I think my school just wants medics!). if there was clearing would you be re-interviewed? do you ring up the individual colleges? i am a post a level applicnat so i do already have my grades.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt have an "interview" when i went through clearing but i did have a phone conversation with the admissions guy - which i suppoes felt like an interview - he asked why i wanted to do this course and why i didnt get to my university of choice.....and so on.

if you have your a level grades already - ring them up now! why wait till they have lots of applicants..when your availible now?

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    was that for oxbridge? i thought i might just ring up a few days before results, when the unis have them but poor ickle students dont. but who do you ring? and could i do this when i already have a place? also dont have 3 science a levels, onl have physics at as - do you think that would be a problem? thanksxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gapperslacker)
    was that for oxbridge? i thought i might just ring up a few days before results, when the unis have them but poor ickle students dont. but who do you ring? and could i do this when i already have a place? also dont have 3 science a levels, onl have physics at as - do you think that would be a problem? thanksxxx

I think it would be next to impossible to get into the Cambridge NatSci course with only physics at AS. Even medicine would be quite tough, despite the fact that they will help you cover the A Level material in your first year.

Where do you have medicine offers from? I was under the impression that most (if not all) medicine courses require you to have done Chemistry. I am probably wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to work out what to do if I don't get into my first choice, as I'm wavering as to whether to go to my insurance choice, and I've seen a really good course available through Ucas Extra. I'm presuming that, as it is available through Extra at this late stage, it will be available on the 19th.

Should I only ring them up on the day if things do go wrong, or do you guys think it would be ok to ring now and see if the grade requirements are different to those stated, and assess my chances? Do people do that, or will I be percieved as odd?

ReputationRep:
    i have chemistry and biology at alevel, juts not all 3 sciences. thanks for all the advicexx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cambridge Prospectus for 2005 entry pg90)
    Essential: at least two science/mathematics GCE A levels, the combination depending on the option preferred [i.e physical or biological natsci].
    Highly desirable: third science/mathematics subject to atleast AS
    (Science = Chemistry, Biology, or Physics; Psychology does not count as a science)

I think your subject combination should suffice for Biological NatSci gapperslacker.

ReputationRep:
    thanks. would i be able to get into the course this year though? i know cambridge doesn't have "clearing" but do places ever becomne available? i have asked some college and they reply with the generic "no clearing at cambridge" thing. any tips out there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OldMan)
    Sorry I don't believe this for a minute; theology has more applicants per place than engineering and the normal offer is AAA/AAB same as anything else. The only subjects I've ever seen advertised in clearing for Oxbridge are Education with something; I also know that some candidates who do much better than expected (ie straight A grades) have been accepted through (unadvertised) clearing for other subjects. Years ago it was certainly possible to get into Homerton at Cambridge with middling A-levels, but since it became a full college that is no longer true.
    Well thats what my electronics teacher told me and he knows what hes talking about.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt think you could go through clearing for oxford, cambridge or medicine altho i may be wrong....

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering but I have a place for 2004 but if I saw a uni/course that I preferred could I go through clearing? Hs anyone done this? Also has anyone got into oxbridge through clearing. I know it is pretty unlikely but I have hear a few stories. How does this happen? Thanks!
    yeah im sure you could i think clearings better for ppl who arn't sure wot course to do.

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking around, getting excited and then realising that so many places have pre-requisites, like I'll find a course that is most likely going to be in clearing, I've got the grades and the a-level subjects and then they say something like *Maths GCSE at grade A required* and then it all comes tumbling down. Is it worth ringing these places at all?

ReputationRep:
    If you meet your offer, you get sent on AS12 by UCAS that states that your offer is now binding and if you do not take it your 2004 UCAS application will be void and you will be withdrawn from this years round.

I know cos I got my AS12 a few days ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    I've been looking around, getting excited and then realising that so many places have pre-requisites, like I'll find a course that is most likely going to be in clearing, I've got the grades and the a-level subjects and then they say something like *Maths GCSE at grade A required* and then it all comes tumbling down. Is it worth ringing these places at all?
    Yeah course it is - you have absolutely nothing to lose by trying!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite surprised to see Kings, Nottingham and Durham to have places left over for Clearing. (for Business and Geog)

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.