Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, so a little story before I ask any questions lol.

Basically I enrolled at college today wanting to do some kind of ICT or computing. I wanted to do the A-Levels in either, however the college does not do A Level courses for either computing or ICT. So I was asked if I just wanted to do the BTEC ND ICT PRACTIONERS. I said I'd give it a try.

Anyway on to my main questions, I was told the course is worth 3 A Levels is this correct? (I would like to go to uni to do some kind of programming course). I was told I would be doing 18 units altogether. 8 of these would be in the first year and the other 10 would be in the second. Is this right? Or is it 9 in the first year and 9in the second?

Also what is the course like? This is the first year the college has done this course so they have not selected the units yet. What type of units would I be doing? AND (my last question I promise!!!) what equipment would I need for this course?

ReputationRep:
    yoo!

im doing a btec national Certificate (2 a levels) this yr, but im not doing IT

all i no is that ur diploma is like 3 a levels, and it will get u into uni to do similar courses if u do well of course.
    not sure how many unit a yr tho, but i dosent really matter does it, u have to do all 18 units in 2 yrs anyway

oh by the way
    U HAVE TO BRING UR HOME PC WITH U EVERYDAY :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE
    U HAVE TO BRING UR HOME PC WITH U EVERYDAY [/QUOTE]

more like laptop. I did a btec national certificate in ebusiness and a btec national award in computing. WE didnt need to bring home pc's or any pcs in. My college had a number of rooms with computers which could be used for work or could be used for praticals such as installing software. I'm sure most colleges and schools are the same as they will be trying to promote the courses.

One or two people in the whole computing department did bring laptops, but this was because they wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: i was rolling my eyes, everyone knows none carry their whole home pc to school, its impossble ehehe , no? my homur isn't good in writing form sorri guys lol

ReputationRep:
    sorry for confusion. I was just trying to help by saying if you need computer and all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brubaskia)
    sorry for confusion. I was just trying to help by saying if you need computer and all.
    It depends, you're tutors normally pick the units. I was happy with the units we done last yar, I hated about two of them though.

ReputationRep:
    you DO NOT need to bring your owjn laptop etc. you may if you want lol. just buy a USB possibly 512mb or 1gb and transfer files over, im sure there should be computers in the class? lol unless it's soo newly established level for your school/college that they don't have computers.

ReputationRep:
    You have to do units 1-6 .. the rest are selected by the tutors

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.