The Student Room Group

Help! Can i get into oxford university???

I heard that Oxford University doesn't require Maths A-level anymore to do a Medicine degree; however do they still prefer their candidates to have a Maths A-level and look more favourably on candidates that do have it?. (BTW I'm in year 12 doing Biology, Chemistry and Sociology A-level).

Also, I heard that Oxford University looks at GCSE in part of their application and mine are pretty average (5As and 5Bs no A*s) .
Would this stop me from getting in because other candidates are more likely to have better grades?
Sadly, since it's medicine you wish to apply for, you have very slim chances of getting into Oxford. It's recommended that applicants have 80% A*s at GCSE alongside a strong BMAT score, to stand a chance of being interviewed (let alone getting an offer)!

Given how competitive medicine is in general across all unis, it's not really worth putting in an application to Oxford in your case :frown:
Forget it mate, I know applicants that haven't got to interview with 10A* at GCSE and 4 A at AS. It is the best Medecine course in the world (as of a recent ranking), you need to have exceptional grades even to get to interview. Unfortunately, yours are not.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sadly, since it's medicine you wish to apply for, you have very slim chances of getting into Oxford. It's recommended that applicants have 80% A*s at GCSE alongside a strong BMAT score, to stand a chance of being interviewed (let alone getting an offer)!

Given how competitive medicine is in general across all unis, it's not really worth putting in an application to Oxford in your case :frown:

Is that just based on my GCSE grades because I haven't sat the BMAT yet; if hypothetically I got very good scores in it and very good predicted grades; Could I stand a chance?
Original post by Patrick-Bateman
Forget it mate, I know applicants that haven't got to interview with 10A* at GCSE and 4 A at AS. It is the best Medecine course in the world (as of a recent ranking), you need to have exceptional grades even to get to interview. Unfortunately, yours are not.

Really?? that's sad; thanks for the response
They look at % A* and you need above something like 90% so unfortunately you got no chance.
Original post by noellenoetics
Is that just based on my GCSE grades because I haven't sat the BMAT yet; if hypothetically I got very good scores in it and very good predicted grades; Could I stand a chance?

the type of person applying to oxford medicine will likely have a near perfect academic record in all respects so sadly i dont think you should apply. go for less GCSE heavy unis
Original post by noellenoetics

You wouldn't really stand a chance: GCSEs (% A*s) AND BMAT score are used together to decide who they will interview :frown:
In case you need the hard stats, here they are for 2015. They show that no interviews or offers were made to candidates with fewer than 5 A* at GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending