The Student Room Group

subjects you took at a level for law??

Scroll to see replies

I received offers from UCL and LSE for law several years ago. My A-levels were English lit (A*), History (A*) and Biology (A). You shouldn't need to take more than three A-levels. I'd focus on subjects that are traditionally seen as "academic".
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Marshall Taylor
You can also read my blog on here somewhere to see how I am dealing with 5 subjects :biggrin: But yeah, he didn't really fit in when everyone at my current sixth form were equally as smart or smarter than him, so he dropped out to his old school where he was 'smartest'.

sure where's the blog at?😂 oh that's awks, he probably liked being prestige:/
Original post by habeas.corpus
I received offers from UCL and LSE for law several years ago. My A-levels were English lit (A*), History (A*) and Biology (A). You shouldn't need to take more than three A-levels. I'd focus on subjects that are traditionally seen as "academic".

that's insane wow ! in your opinion, would classic civillisation be seen as more academic than politics??
Original post by childishgambin0
sure where's the blog at?😂 oh that's awks, he probably liked being prestige:/

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4289962

Yeah apparently lots of people who goto Oxbridge drop out because they're no longer, 'top' or 'special'
I'm going for Biology, English Literature and History. I would take one more, but this is the first English Lit and History class I've had in years. I also wanted to take a bunch more GCSE's to improve my chances of getting into one of the more prestigious Universities. I'm starting 6th from with 2 huge disadvantages, but luckily, my old Biology teacher was teaching us A Level standard Biology when we were in Year 7-9, so supposedly I'm ahead of the pack. ^.^ We'll just have to wait and see heh?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4289962

Yeah apparently lots of people who goto Oxbridge drop out because they're no longer, 'top' or 'special'

just read it all and you are so motivated, hope it all goes well :smile: genuinely wish I had that work ethic !!
how stupid lol life is a competition against you and yourself
Original post by prazzyjazzy
I'm going for Biology, English Literature and History. I would take one more, but this is the first English Lit and History class I've had in years. I also wanted to take a bunch more GCSE's to improve my chances of getting into one of the more prestigious Universities. I'm starting 6th from with 2 huge disadvantages, but luckily, my old Biology teacher was teaching us A Level standard Biology when we were in Year 7-9, so supposedly I'm ahead of the pack. ^.^ We'll just have to wait and see heh?

a great range of subjects:smile: don't worry about the setbacks ,, good luck !!
just read it all and you are so motivated, hope it all goes well :smile: genuinely wish I had that work ethic !!
how stupid lol life is a competition against you and yourself

Ah thanks! I'm surprised you read it all, since some entries are like 2000 words long:biggrin: Take that work ethic into everything you do and you'll have no regrets! :smile:
that's insane wow ! in your opinion, would classic civillisation be seen as more academic than politics??

Make sure your personal statement and grades are top-notch. I would probably take politics Good luck.
Ah thanks! I'm surprised you read it all, since some entries are like 2000 words long:biggrin: Take that work ethic into everything you do and you'll have no regrets! :smile:

always procrastinating so I just read through😂 I wish I could but I'm so lazy :frown:
Original post by habeas.corpus
Make sure your personal statement and grades are top-notch. I would probably take politics Good luck.

I will thank you ! may I ask what grades you got?
and is there any particular reason you'd go for pol??
always procrastinating so I just read through😂 I wish I could but I'm so lazy :frown:

Being lazy won't get you into law school!:biggrin:
I take History, English Literature, Psychology and Law at A Level, plus an EPQ.

I definitely think History is a good shout for Law, it's helped me think about the way I write and structure my arguments when writing for universities. Similar story with Lit. Try to take at least one essay subject, and at least 2 traditional subjects, but the other 1 or 2 subjects make zero difference as long as you're confident you can get a decent grade in them.

Also, If anyone tries to tell you Law schools will reject you if you take A Level Law, please don't believe them. I'm holding offers for Durham, Warwick, Nottingham and Newcastle, 2 of which are reduced offers, and I'm awaiting a decision from Cambridge post-interview. Clearly, it isn't the horrendous baggage that people make it out to be.

Good luck, I hope you're happy with whichever choices you settle on :smile:
Being lazy won't get you into law school!:biggrin:

yeah I think laziness is going to kill the dream mate😂
Original post by Gold-Confetti
I take History, English Literature, Psychology and Law at A Level, plus an EPQ.

I definitely think History is a good shout for Law, it's helped me think about the way I write and structure my arguments when writing for universities. Similar story with Lit. Try to take at least one essay subject, and at least 2 traditional subjects, but the other 1 or 2 subjects make zero difference as long as you're confident you can get a decent grade in them.

Also, If anyone tries to tell you Law schools will reject you if you take A Level Law, please don't believe them. I'm holding offers for Durham, Warwick, Nottingham and Newcastle, 2 of which are reduced offers, and I'm awaiting a decision from Cambridge post-interview. Clearly, it isn't the horrendous baggage that people make it out to be.

Good luck, I hope you're happy with whichever choices you settle on :smile:

wow is the workload intense with 4 subjects and an EPQ?!! didn't take history at gcse but def want to eng lit at a2 so glad to hear it'll be useful. CONGRATS on such amazing offers!! i hope it all works out 4 u 2 :smile:
wow is the workload intense with 4 subjects and an EPQ?!! didn't take history at gcse but def want to eng lit at a2 so glad to hear it'll be useful. CONGRATS on such amazing offers!! i hope it all works out 4 u 2 :smile:

Just a bit haha, I stay behind for an hour of solid work each night plus whatever work I do at home. I also have 2 part time jobs and own a horse. Up until last week when I passed, I was getting driving lessons too. Very busy schedule haha!

Ah well, as long as you have 2 traditional subjects you should be fine for pretty much anywhere.

Thank you! I'm so pleased, I'm just hoping the last one follows the good trend 🙈 I hope everything works out for you too!
Just a bit haha, I stay behind for an hour of solid work each night plus whatever work I do at home. I also have 2 part time jobs and own a horse. Up until last week when I passed, I was getting driving lessons too. Very busy schedule haha!

Ah well, as long as you have 2 traditional subjects you should be fine for pretty much anywhere.

Thank you! I'm so pleased, I'm just hoping the last one follows the good trend 🙈 I hope everything works out for you too!

it's so inspiring that you can manage such a busy schedule!!
would you consider philosophy as traditional?
good things come to those who wait so hopefully you've got this :smile:
it's so inspiring that you can manage such a busy schedule!!
would you consider philosophy as traditional?
good things come to those who wait so hopefully you've got this :smile:

Well, to say I'm managing is probably giving more credit than is due haha, I've done absolutely zero work for the past week, but I have mocks when I get back in January and I actually want to die because the amount of work I need to do is soul destroying 😫

As far as I know philosophy does count as traditional. Look on Trinity college's website, they have a list of "facilitating subjects". Includes all the traditional and better respected subjects like History, Languages, the sciences, Maths, etc. They're a good guide, as long as you have 2 from that list you should be good anywhere!

Ah thank you, honestly if they don't give me an offer I'll end up slacking off so much this year- I only need ABB to get into Durham Law School- I'll end up being lazy 😂
Well, to say I'm managing is probably giving more credit than is due haha, I've done absolutely zero work for the past week, but I have mocks when I get back in January and I actually want to die because the amount of work I need to do is soul destroying 😫

As far as I know philosophy does count as traditional. Look on Trinity college's website, they have a list of "facilitating subjects". Includes all the traditional and better respected subjects like History, Languages, the sciences, Maths, etc. They're a good guide, as long as you have 2 from that list you should be good anywhere!

Ah thank you, honestly if they don't give me an offer I'll end up slacking off so much this year- I only need ABB to get into Durham Law School- I'll end up being lazy 😂

don't be too hard on yourself, it is the festive season so a break is due!! you can go back fighting in january😂
thank you, I did have a read of their website, I'm just worried other uni's might look at philosophy or classic civilisation and not regard them as traditional:frown:
it's great that they liked you so much and said ABB instead of something like A*AA😂 !! i heard A*AA was a typical offer so they must really want you !
don't be too hard on yourself, it is the festive season so a break is due!! you can go back fighting in january😂
thank you, I did have a read of their website, I'm just worried other uni's might look at philosophy or classic civilisation and not regard them as traditional:frown:
it's great that they liked you so much and said ABB instead of something like A*AA😂 !! i heard A*AA was a typical offer so they must really want you !

Haha, this week will be back to normal after a week of laziness, I can't afford to screw up the mocks we have first week back. It was a well needed break though! 🙈

Well it's up to you, but as far as I know, Classics and Philosophy are both good subjects. Their skill set mirrors that of History/ English Lit, and universities are usually pleased with anything hard like those (basically). As far as I know, either or both of those will be totally fine.

To be honest beyond Oxbridge/ London/ Top end Russell group, no one really seems to care about the subjects. As long as your grades are good. The "2 traditional" is just a useful thing to have.

Ah yeah, the typical offer is A*AA, but I did a summer school with them, the deal was that if you passed they'd lower the grades to AAA or AAB if they liked you. I must've impressed them because I got an ABB offer. It's very reassuring. 😊 If Cambridge doesn't want me, I'll be given lower entry requirements and a £5,500 per year bursary at Durham in exchange for firming them. Provided I get allocated to a college I like there, that alternative is certainly not one to grumble about! I haven't even been to the other 3 Unis on my UCAS, I knew I'll never need them 😂
I only even applied to Warwick because I had an extra space I needed to fill!

I've just been very lucky, especially coming from an AWFUL state school, to get the grades and support I need to be in a position like this. Hard work and a proactive mindset doesn't go amiss though 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending