The Student Room Group

Parameducal Science

Hi Guys and Girls,

I am going back to college in September 2017, and will be applying to study paramedical science Bsc (hons), at either bradford, sheffeild Hallam, St Georges and then one other degree which I haven't chosen on yet.

However as I did not get a levels when I left school, I am having to go back to do an access to higher education course to get me the correct entry grades to be able to hopefully gain a place on a course. I have chosen, upto now, access to higher education - healthcare professions. I have spoken to a few unis and some are helpful, others are not so much. Does anyone know if that is the correct course or should I be doing something like allied healthcare sciences? As being a mature student this is all extremely confusing and also starting to stress me a little, as time creeps us so fast and it already feels like i haven't enough time to get everything sorted.

Also any information regards to the degree itself would be greatly helpful, for example do people manage to have part time jobs on this degree as there is an awful lot of placement or is it just to intense, as I plan on moving away but have some overheards that my student loan/maintance loan would not cover.

Any information would massively be appreicated.

Thanks guys.

Nathan
Hi

I'm also a mature student. I did an Access course, but just a general Science pathway (as it included more chemistry, which i enjoy), the more Healthcare based pathways seemed to contain more Psychology stuff which I didn't think I'd be so interested in.

I think most universities would like you to have some sort of science-related qualification, but it doesn't have to be that specific. The most important part is your personal statement, previous experience, an understanding of the paramedic profession and stating how you are suited to it.

As to the degree, its pretty fully on. I've managed to get a bank-contract PTS job which I can pick and choose hours and sometimes do coursework/revision at work. But I couldn't envisage doing more than 1-2 shifts a week, and when in placement I struggle to do 1-2 a month.

Any questions then just drop me a PM.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest