Buckets-and-Spades
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi everyone,

Is it compulsory to mention on your UCAS form and in interviews that you want a gap year?

My teacher says to apply, get the offers, then ask them for deferred entry....

Do you know if the uni's will give you this deferred entry, or can they refuse?
I'm applying for medicine , and possibly Oxbridge.

Thanks.
UniOfLife
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't think you have to ask at the time of application but the uni might deny you a deferrment and you'd have to either start that year or give up your place and reapply.

AFAIK - and I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong - uni's are quite happy if a student wants to take a gap year because they will generally be more mature when they start their course. This might be different if the course will require you to remember a lot of stuff from A levels which you could well forget in a year out.
sonicboooom
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeh, a lot of Uni's like students that take a year out. I was told by one of my teachers at school to not put defered entry on your ucas form but to ask to be defered after you get an offer.
Buckets-and-Spades
Badges: 2
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Thanks for the replies...do you know how likely they are to deny you the deferred entry (if youve asked for it after offers)??

And is oxbridge any different?

Thanks!
ice_cube
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you are using your gap year in a constructive way it can be very very beneficial to your gap year. As a medical student, they do need to know and are unlikely to change the offer to defferred afterwards. as there are strict number criteria, much more so than most other subjects.

However if you were to say you were having a gap year to get some expereince, volunteering in a hospice, going to Africa to work in a hospital (seems to be popular, not sure how useful) or simply state that as it is such a long course you want to work for a year to earn money. Because medicine is so competative, adding something like this to your application could actually make all the difference. Universities can refuse to give you a gap year, and say your offer is on condition of attending this year.

One thing I have been told with regard to medicine, is that because it is so notoriously difficult to get a place, it is often worth applying for this year, stating having a gap year, and then if you dont get any offers, repeat the process next year with added experience on your application. Best of luck, and don't think that a gap year in any way will harm your application.
hunibuni
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Totally agee with ice_cube and just to add, Oxford certainly said, when I went to an open day, that if they wanted you and you had applied for deferred entry but they weren't able/happy to give you a place the next year, they would still offer you a place without the gap year option so you wouldn't lose anything by giving it a try.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sonicboooom)
I was told by one of my teachers at school to not put defered entry on your ucas form but to ask to be defered after you get an offer.
(Original post by Buckets-and-Spades)
My teacher says to apply, get the offers, then ask them for deferred entry....
Both your teachers are talking rubbish. If you are planning to take a gap year and have a good idea what you're going to do in that year then it's a POSITIVE aspect to your application and should be mentioned on your UCAS form (in both your choices section, your PS and your reference).

Applying as normal and then trying to wangle a deferral afterwards makes more work for the admissions tutors and the unis and makes you appear indecisive - it's an extremely bad idea IMO.

Be honest from the start, play up the positive aspects to your year out and what you're planning to do and how it will benefit your ability to excel on your chosen courses.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I agree with PQ. I don't really see the point of trying to hide your plans to take a gap year by applying for 2008 entry and then asking to defer because unis don't mind you taking a gap year as long as you use it wisely. Write about your plans in your personal statement, and if you've got some work experience or volunteer work sorted out, that will be an advantage rather than a disadvantage since you're applying for medicine.
UniOfLife
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would think that a gap year is even more important for medicine. Because that course is so long they want people who are going to have the maturity to work properly throughout and a gap year well spent will help that.
ice_cube
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I asked for my place at Bristol to be defered after I was given my offer.

They refused, and I had to reapply and do the whole thing again. Really not worth the risk.
UniOfLife
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
An alternative, not been mentioned yet, is to not apply this year but apply next year instead. I don't know if this is better but it has the advantage that your grades are known so offering a place doesn't involve as much risk for the university.
Agamemnon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by UniOfLife)
An alternative, not been mentioned yet, is to not apply this year but apply next year instead. I don't know if this is better but it has the advantage that your grades are known so offering a place doesn't involve as much risk for the university.
The best thing to do is surely to apply for deferred entry this year and then if you do not get the offers you want you are free to apply again next year. Since you are taking a gap year, it does allow you to apply twice, giving you the chance to apply to up to double the normal number of universities, if you see what I mean.
ice_cube
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Particularly for medicine, where this is so competative, it could really be a bonus.
Agamemnon
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ice_cube)
Particularly for medicine, where this is so competative, it could really be a bonus.
Yes, or if you're applying to the top universities. If you apply twice, you can afford to put down more risky choices than you would otherwise.
Laura26
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ice_cube)
I asked for my place at Bristol to be defered after I was given my offer.

They refused, and I had to reapply and do the whole thing again. Really not worth the risk.

It is probably different for different subjects. I have a conditional AAA offer for History V100 and have just asked Bristol to defer my entry to 2009 and they were really nice, replied to my email within a day and didn't seem to have a problem with it?

Really only adding this post to give a more balanced perspective - I know I looked at this thread before I emailed them and panicked at the thought of losing my place and having to reapply...I loved Bristol when I visited
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads