Turn on thread page Beta

Deterioating Debate and Discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    So now it is about to happen to the UKL D&D forum as well. Why is it that every forum where you can discuss politics starts out quite interesting and then deterioates into a big uggly soup of Homophobic, Antiamerican, Neo-nazi and Religiously extreme posts. It seems to me that these forums always gets infected by people beleiving that as long as they are the last ones to post a response, and as long as their accusations they are randomly throwing around themselves are more extreme and despicable than everyone elses they have won a small victory to boost their ego. The actual content and factual accuracy of the claims is regarded as a mere ideological detail. I hate to say it but if this keeps up I wonder if I will maintain the interest to post here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    So now it is about to happen to the UKL D&D forum as well. Why is it that every forum where you can discuss politics starts out quite interesting and then deterioates into a big uggly soup of Homophobic, Antiamerican, Neo-nazi and Religiously extreme posts. It seems to me that these forums always gets infected by people beleiving that as long as they are the last ones to post a response, and as long as their accusations they are randomly throwing around themselves are more extreme and despicable than everyone elses they have won a small victory to boost their ego. The actual content and factual accuracy of the claims is regarded as a mere ideological detail. I hate to say it but if this keeps up I wonder if I will maintain the interest to post here.
    i wouldnt even credit the mindless spamming with that much.

ReputationRep:
    It certainly is deteriorating Jonatan. Not so long ago I found myself continually sucked into and quite often locked in combat for six hours or more in some excellent debates with some very challenging and bright individuals.

I'm afraid I'm now having trouble staying interested for more than four minutes. Perhpas I've unwittingly developed ADD but a more likely explanation for my flagging interest is that the D&D board has become rather **** of late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    It certainly is deteriorating Jonatan. Not so long ago I found myself continually sucked into and quite often locked in combat for six hours or more in some excellent debates with some very challenging and bright individuals.

I'm afraid I'm now having trouble staying interested for more than four minutes. Perhpas I've unwittingly developed ADD but a more likely explanation for my flagging interest is that the D&D board has become rather **** of late.
    i think it does have something to do with the loss of regular members on holiday or for whatever reason, and the vacancy filled with lesser quality. the amount of reporting im doing has increased dramatically in the last few weeks. i think this is also reflective of the entire forum unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Hypocrite. Perhaps the deterioration of the D+D thread would decrease if you were to leave, or was that an empty threat?

I have put forward reasonable arguments and recieved in response from you insulting swearwords, I think that qualifies as deterioration of a debate.

In my opinion the deterioration of this forum is due to the mindnumbing repetitiveness of people affirming their political correctness with 'general chat' style comments which provide no contribution to the debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benm)
    Hypocrite. Perhaps the deterioration of the D+D thread would decrease if you were to leave, or was that an empty threat?

I have put forward reasonable arguments and recieved in response from you insulting swearwords, I think that qualifies as deterioration of a debate.

In my opinion the deterioration of this forum is due to the mindnumbing repetitiveness of people affirming their political correctness with 'general chat' style comments which provide no contribution to the debate.
    I suppose your lies proffer a much higher level of discourse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    i think it does have something to do with the loss of regular members on holiday or for whatever reason, and the vacancy filled with lesser quality. the amount of reporting im doing has increased dramatically in the last few weeks. i think this is also reflective of the entire forum unfortunately.
    You'll be distraught by the fact that I'm leaving tomorrow then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benm)
    id be interested to see such evidence. by PM of course.

I think thats part of the problem Jonatan is addressing.

ReputationRep:
    id be interested to see such evidence. by PM of course.
    http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....&postcount=139

I think thats part of the problem Jonatan is addressing.
    I didn't get the impression he was addressing that problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benm)
    http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....&postcount=139

I don't see what's so terrible he may have used a swearword however he did then go on to put together a cohesive and comprehensible post

ReputationRep:
    that doesnt constitute deterioration of debate in my eyes.

each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    I am quite new so I know this forum only for how it exists today, but I do agree with the issues raised above. I feel that the people who submit nonsensical posts fall very much within the category of attention seekers, to use a metaphor they are the 'flashers' of UKL, but rather than gaining pleasure from exposing their genitals they resort to exposing us to their social misfit minds.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone visited this site last year during this time? If so, was there a similar situation back then?

ReputationRep:
    When I first found UKL it was the thread on fox hunting that appealed to me, mainly becasue I disagree with it, and it was in my opinion, a good debate. I never ventured out of D&D due to the interesting threads that kept appearing. Then I lost interest in the political side, probably because I couldn't follow peoples arguements. Then I suddenly discovered General Chat. Oh what a shame that was. I find now that the only time I come on here is if something catches my eye, which isn't often.

ReputationRep:
    Oh please. I said it was ******** back then and Il say it again. All you did was to claim that because gay sex does not give rise to pregnancies it was against human nature. I quite honestly think that was quite a hostile claim to make and that it is deeply respectless. Not to talk about when people go comparing ti to a mental disease...

ReputationRep:
    Well here's a though. Since it's the summer won't people be online less? I have a laptop and it's becoming an oven in my room and I don't like it because I hate hot nights, can't sleep.

ReputationRep:
    I think the biggest problem is certain people's obsessive desire to have the last word. Most people can't be bothered to read a page full of 1,000 word posts were all it is, is mindless argueing.

ReputationRep:
    I think that perhaps the debate has deteriorated of late, but this is due the absence of a few regular people-Speciez, Howard and Vienna are all on less; this is part of the natural ebb and flow of the forum. I'm at work alot too. I think also there is one rule for the gnostics, William Fosters, England2004 and all the evangelist Muslims who come on- Don't feed the trolls!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    gnostics
    I have to cut in here, this man is a comic genius (when he wants to be). Never mind debate & discussion - Gnosticus should have a street named after him.

ReputationRep:
    He might be, and he does make me laugh, but there is a time and a place. Also, some may consider his comic "material" offensive. His humour in D+D is similar to Dom Joly in the National Library (or something).

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.