Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Deterioating Debate and Discussion watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    well, then it appears to be your issue.
    in all fairness you aren't always the most warm and welcoming person on these forums. i know it is because you want to keep the debate serious but you can be a bit intimidating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    in all fairness you aren't always the most warm and welcoming person on these forums. i know it is because you want to keep the debate serious but you can be a bit intimidating.
    It didn't bother me that I wasn't greeted with open arms here. I'm here to voice my opinion and to open myself up to alternative views.

ps - it's "wrong" not "wronge".
    psx2 - I'm not being nasty, just letting you know

ReputationRep:
    i'll try and bear that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    sorry i have a slight problem with my spelling
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    well, then it appears to be your issue.
    And yet the lack of good debate in d&d appears to be yours -

I'm simply trying to point out that it's possible in cases other than my own that the two might be related

Meow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    And yet the lack of good debate in d&d appears to be yours -
    erm, i think you mean the issue of everyone who wishes to see good debate here. and yes, that includes me, but hmm, not you.

I'm simply trying to point out that it's possible in cases other than my own that the two might be related
    which two? :rolleyes: :cool: :confused: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    erm, i think you mean the issue of everyone who wishes to see good debate here. and yes, that includes me, but hmm, not you.
    I am sure that Pencil Queen wants a good debate as much as everyone else.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Well I voted yes on the poll so I don't see why I would be labelled as being against good debate? -

I thought the most productive way of solving the problem of the deteriorating quality of debate would be to try to identify possible causes and suggest ways of solving them...I always prefer to try to solve problems rather than just complain about them

People feeling unwelcome and a lack of "good" debaters in d&d

ReputationRep:
    I am sure that Pencil Queen wants a good debate as much as everyone else.
    so do I, but her comment would suggest she doesnt.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    It didn't bother me that I wasn't greeted with open arms here. I'm here to voice my opinion and to open myself up to alternative views.

If you're not being nasty, why not communicate that info by PM?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    so do I, but her comment would suggest she doesnt.
    really? I thought I was just addressing my comment to the person I was talking to...sorry if I was ambiguous

ReputationRep:
    Well I voted yes on the poll so I don't see why I would be labelled as being against good debate? -
    the issue of good debate being that of others and not yourself.

I thought the most productive way of solving the problem of the deteriorating quality of debate would be to try to identify possible causes and suggest ways of solving them...
    indeed.

I always prefer to try to solve problems rather than just complain about them
    perhaps this should have been in your mind when you first posted on the thread,

"I'm sure all of the people who've recently arrived in d&d will be delighted to read this. Although I doubt it will encourage them to "up their game" - more likely that they'll just go elsewhere - there are some debate forums online which are very welcoming to newbies I always though UKL would be one of them but d&d has become more and more rigid and cliquey over its breif existance "

People feeling unwelcome and a lack of "good" debaters in d&d
    Im not convinced it has anything but a negligible impact. Those with a viewpoint, an opinion, with the ability to justify it and the facts at hand, do so despite any problems they might run into with certain guidelines, that in an ideal world, they should have paid attention to in the first place. Cossack and Amb1 reiterate this point and Randdom, who said she could find me 'intimidating', doesnt let this stop some good and level-headed posting. The same goes for Speciez, Zizero, Jonatan, an Siarach, Howard etc.

ReputationRep:
    really? I thought I was just addressing my comment to the person I was talking to...sorry if I was ambiguous
    so you are,

i) clearly under the impression that I am the only person for who good debate in D+D is an issue. the fact that Im not the only one to contribute to this thread would prove that to be misguided.

or ii) it is an issue for a wider group of members, but a group you exclude yourself from.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    so you are,

i) clearly under the impression that I am the only person for who good debate in D+D is an issue. the fact that Im not the only one to contribute to this thread would prove that to be misguided.

or ii) it is an issue for a wider group of members, but a group you exclude yourself from.
    i) No - but I was talking to you - you said that the fact I felt unwelcome in d&d was my issue (ie YOU excluded me from the group - thanks for that ) I replied that you may well be right but that my issue of feeling unwelcome here and the issue of highest concern to you (in this thread - the lack of good debate) may be related.

As I've said before vienna please don't put words in my mouth, I'm aware that sometimes you don't follow my point (intentionally or unintentionally) but if you aren't clear I would appreciate it if you would ask me to clarify rather than applying labels and jumping to negative conclusions about me - thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    I quite enjoyed airing my views when I first came on here. It's nice to actually debate the issues with people who aren't always trying to persuade the opposition to change their views. Trouble is, when new people come onto D&D they start threads about the same things and personally I don't like having the same debate over and over again.

And occasionally there's the odd poster that starts what they think is a really phillosophical subject, like 'where do we go when we die', and the thread-starter seems to think that they are the only person who has ever thought about it, therefore they must be more intelligent than everyone else who posts beneath them :rolleyes: !!
    I'm not being funny but since new members come on all the time I think that it's most unfair to say "no, you can't start a new thread, add to mine!". This then entails them reading a long thread, chances are their view will alreadyhave been represented, and so they have no need to post. Let debates start afresh, and if you don't want to do the same debates over and over again, the answer is simple: don't post on those threads!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    I'm not being funny but since new members come on all the time I think that it's most unfair to say "no, you can't start a new thread, add to mine!". This then entails them reading a long thread, chances are their view will alreadyhave been represented, and so they have no need to post. Let debates start afresh, and if you don't want to do the same debates over and over again, the answer is simple: don't post on those threads!
    That sounds fair

ReputationRep:
    i) No - but I was talking to you - you said that the fact I felt unwelcome in d&d was my issue (ie YOU excluded me from the group - thanks for that ) I replied that you may well be right but that my issue of feeling unwelcome here and the issue of highest concern to you (in this thread - the lack of good debate) may be related.

As I've said before vienna please don't put words in my mouth, I'm aware that sometimes you don't follow my point (intentionally or unintentionally) but if you aren't clear I would appreciate it if you would ask me to clarify rather than applying labels and jumping to negative conclusions about me - thanks
    and please dont fabricate dramatic alterations to the sequence of events in an attempt to wriggle out of a point of clear logic. the words speak clearly for themselves.

PQ: "yet, i dont feel welcome in d+d."

vienna: "well, then it appears to be your issue."

PQ: "And yet the lack of good debate in d&d appears to be yours"

ill ask again, does the use of 'yours' relate to me only, or 'to everyone who is interested in good debate in d&d' ?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    and please dont fabricate dramatic alterations to the sequence of events in an attempt to wriggle out of a point of clear logic. the words speak clearly for themselves.

PQ: "yet, i dont feel welcome in d+d."

vienna: "well, then it appears to be your issue."

PQ: "And yet the lack of good debate in d&d appears to be yours"

ill ask again, does the use of 'yours' relate to me only, or 'to everyone who is interested in good debate in d&d' ?
    My use of yours referred specifically to you (as it was you to whom my post was adressed) - it was not an exclusive comment - I wasn't trying to imply that it was your issue alone - simply that it's obviously an issue that is of great importance to you.

I imagine everyone who voted yes in the poll would consider the lack of good debate to be "their" issue.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2004
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.