Turn on thread page Beta

THE LAST HURDLE... // 4A*? [Maths, FM, Physics & Chem] watch

ReputationRep:

THE LAST HURDLE...
    [witness my attempt to get into uni]
    i will not give up pt.2

AS level blog - I WILL NOT GIVE UP - AAAA (Maths, FM, Physics, Chem)
    Thanks for everyone who followed last year's blog!
    Promise I'll make this blog better! I will post all my revision stuff
    Aiming to post weekly.

Someone said to me to always aim high and get those 4A*s...
    [I'd be very happy with A*A*AA mind you... ]

My exam board is AQA for all my subjects.

My revision stuff (google drive) - will try to update continuously!
    AQA A Level Physics and Chemistry notes
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By7saYJOwtteVG1VLTl4clI 2b0E

A little background info...
    Spoiler:
    Show

GCSE - 10A*
    AS level - AAAA (Maths, FM, Physics & Chem)
    About Me -
    I like to draw and paint in my spare time! I'm totally interesting...
    If you've read my AS blog (I can't bring myself to do it lol), then you'd know that I get a bit emotional

I don't know what I want to do after university.

Resits - I am resitting C2, S1, M2, FP1 to bring my UMS up.
    I need every mark I can get.

UCAS - my main motivation
    Spoiler:
    Show

Oxford - MChem
    (A*A*A) [FIRMED]
    Imperial - MChem with research [INSURED]

I had chemistry interviews at oxford, Imperial, UCL and York apart from Durham.
    And I managed to receive all 5 offers
    Wonderful departments and all good in their own ways - feel free to PM for my opinions! 

EXAMS 2017 - 16 AQA exams
    wish me luck...

ReputationRep:
    21/12/16 - Christmas update and year 13 thoughts
    Year 13 is great. Only 190 days till I can leave school finally.

Generally enjoying year 13 more than year 12.
    Content-wise its just a lot more stuff although I'm finding further maths a big step up
    I actually need to practice quite a bit before I feel comfortable with it.
    A lot more nasty manipulation and some questions require a lot more thought.

Progress
    Further Maths - FP2 & FP3 i've nearly learnt all the content. just need to practice loads & revise.
    I wish I was good at maths...
    Physics - just nuclear physics left. my hardest subject.
    Chemistry - physical & inorganic nearly done
    Looked at organic stuff for my uni interviews because in class we aren't starting it until we've finished physical & inorganic.
    Maths - starting C4 next year. probs already done half of it thanks to FP2 & FP3. only subject where I don't need to revise as much.

Uni interviews
    York - really fun interview, very informal and relaxed. I discussed about fluorine and electronic structures.
    UCL - informal and quite relaxed. I did some integration related to rate constants and talked a bit on personal statement stuff.
    Imperial - felt like crap after this interview. they pushed me until I didn't even know what was going on tbh. I always had an answer though even though they weren't exactly correct. But apparently they were impressed by me. My interviewers weren't too helpful.
    I had two interviewers (inorganic and organic chemist)
    Oxford - two interviews and both went surprisingly alright! I kinda enjoyed them as well and my interviewers were really helpful! Found Imperial to be waaay harder. Its really hard to tell what they want though. But its not worth stressing over Christmas because of uni interviews!
    I won't discuss questions obviously but I did get asked some personal statement stuff in my second interview. I had three interviewers (physical, inorganic, organic) in my first interview and two interviewers in my second.

Some little tips for interviews -
    Don't stay silent. In all my interviews I always made sure I said something for every question I was asked. It doesn't matter if it's wrong because they want to see how you think. (yes i know everyone says that lol)

Also if you think it went badly it doesn't necessarily mean it went badly lol.
    I guess they are meant to challenge you.

Try to be confident (even if you aren't a a very confident person).
    "If you don't get an offer its not because you aren't good enough. It's because they just don't like you." - What someone said to me and I found it helpful.
    And "It's their loss" if you don't get in.

My revision technique
    Mind maps because they are easy on the eye.
    Over the weeks I'll post pictures of them
    But yeah. Just drilling it into my head and hoping for the best seems to be how I work.

A few people have asked how do I revise this?! I am the same with physics. I understand your pain.
    I don't even know what I'm doing half the time when I'm reading from the textbook.
    I literally can't help you other than ... heres what I do and I think its working?

Resources that I use the most
    Further Maths - AQA FP2 & FP3 free online textbooks, Edexcel FP2 & FP3 textbooks
    Chemistry - chemguide & http://chem.libretexts.org/ for further reading & CGP textbook
    Physics - AQA Oxford textbook (by Jim B), CGP revision guide & textbook (much easier to understand than the oxford textbook)
    Maths - AQA C3&C4 textbook

Oh and checking the spec ten million times
    & literally learning off the practical handbooks or I'll end up failing the practical questions

Will post pictures of some of my mind maps so you can see how condensed they are.
    One day I'll type up some notes as well to show a bit of variety.

ReputationRep:
    10 A*s at GCSE, 4 As at AS Level, if your A2s go the same way as your GCSEs and AS have gone, you'll have 4 A*s in the bag

Spoiler:
    Show

literally tho how have u not dropped a grade in anything you've done so far :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    10 A*s at GCSE, 4 As at AS Level, if your A2s go the same way as your GCSEs and AS have gone, you'll have 4 A*s in the bag

Spoiler:
    Show

literally tho how have u not dropped a grade in anything you've done so far :eek3:

thank you u kind person i hope so!!! [i still doubt myself]

ReputationRep:
    My revision mind maps (AS Chemistry)
    I like to make new notes over time rather than just having the one and reading over it.

^ felt the need to do this because a blog is boring without pictures

They don't take me too long to do, I like to do them after making detailed notes.
    Apologies for how crap these mind maps are and if there are any wrong information on them.
    They get progressively worse, I think my year 12 self gave up after a while on these.

I like to make them and stick them in my folder never to be seen again until I make new ones
    So these ones will be replaced with better ones next year!
    I'll be sure to update with new ones in due time.
    I promise I'll type up detailed notes before next year and put them in this blog!!

I'll place all my mindmappy things into this googledrive link
    Hope its of use to someone!

Under construction for now
    links are in opening post too

ReputationRep:
    Love your blogs and so proud of you doing this. Can't wait to watch your journey and best of luck- you deserve every success!!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  516.0 KB

Hello,
    Can anyone help me? From where 1 &6 came? I know it is integration but how I will get from the formula?
    Please

ReputationRep:
    My revision mind maps (A level Further Maths)
    When I made these (a few weeks ago) I literally just read through the online AQA textbooks for FP2 & FP3 and made these in under an hour.
    I don't think they are that helpful but its nice to have a few things on one sheet of paper.
    I'd show you one I made for Core 3 but its actually crap.

Apologies they are disgustingly yellow and the quality is so bad.
    But I hope you can all see how I try to make notes for further maths.
    Good way to avoid actually practising questions

AQA FP2
    Spoiler:
    Show

AQA FP3
    Spoiler:
    Show

Hope you all have a lovely Christmas! tbh I'm not feeling too festive this year for some reason. oh well. I am enjoying my holiday though
    I plan to post a google drive of my measly collection of AS & A level physics mind maps some time next week.
    hey its effort taking pictures, uploading and renaming the files pls i hope someone appreciates them.

ReputationRep:
    I love this thread keep it up and running till exams!

ReputationRep:
    can you please upload some A2 chemistry mindmaps if you have any. Much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pentaquark)
    Oooh I will be in the process of making some more before next year (hopefully!)
    Don't worry I'll make a post for them. I'm glad you are interested in them lol
    They are helpful, thanks

ReputationRep:
    #1: New year, new aims
    Thought it would be quite apt to have my first blog post just in time for the first day 2017.
    I'm trying to see where I could go with this blog with weekly posts. My posts aren't exactly inspiring!
    I haven't done much over the holidays but I will resume work tomorrow!

What I need to do this year
    - Pay more attention in FM lectures
    I kinda switch off when the tutor goes too slow and especially because I've covered all the stuff already, I have this attitude of "I'll learn it myself when I feel like it" which isn't too good.
    I'm missing that deeper understanding of what is going on with someone who knows their stuff
    But the way I am going about it this year seems to be working okay.
    I would say I am currently at a A/B grade for FM.

- Put more effort in physics lessons
    It is the same problem of getting bored easily resulting in me not bothering to really understand what is going on.
    I mean I do listen enough in class to do the work set by my teacher but then after that I just slack off.
    Which isn't good because then that means I have to do more work by myself. And I hate doing physics revision.
    I really just want an A in the end, but a part of me is like put the work in and get the A*.
    I guess I'll wait and see how it unfolds over the next month or two.

- Finish off A level Chemistry by March
    My teacher goes a little slow for my liking and its kinda annoying that we aren't starting organic until she has finished physical & inorganic.
    However I've read quite a bit of organic in preparation for my uni interviews & I could possibly finish my notes that I've been typing quite soon! That should leave me plenty of time to do plenty of papers and I can focus on FM & Physics more.

Free stuff coming up...
    I'll post all my typed notes when they are finished.
    I'll also post some chemistry further reading notes on some basic molecular orbital stuff when I have the time
    The oxford chemistry primer on "Chemical Bonding" is pretty good to anyone who is wanting to do some reading beyond the spec.
    Oh the days of cram-reading to find something that interests me so I could write it on my personal statement are long gone.

Hmm what else...
    I'll post my spreadsheet with grade boundaries I made for AS maths & fm last year as well in the next few blog posts.

Progress update:
    Further Maths - going through Edexcel FP2 papers.
    Chem - in process of learning & typing up notes.
    Physics - none.
    Maths - not prioritising currently.

My revision space currently - sat on the sofa with my laptop
    My main form of procrastination - listening to music
    My mood most of the time - bored.
    Homework situation - I'll leave it until we get back to school.

I hope 2017 is alright.

ReputationRep:
    #1: New year, new aims
    Thought it would be quite apt to have my first blog post just in time for the first day 2017.
    I'm trying to see where I could go with this blog with weekly posts. My posts aren't exactly inspiring!
    I haven't done much over the holidays but I will resume work tomorrow!

What I need to do this year
    - Pay more attention in FM lectures
    I kinda switch off when the tutor goes too slow and especially because I've covered all the stuff already, I have this attitude of "I'll learn it myself when I feel like it" which isn't too good.
    I'm missing that deeper understanding of what is going on with someone who knows their stuff
    But the way I am going about it this year seems to be working okay.
    I would say I am currently at a A/B grade for FM.

- Put more effort in physics lessons
    It is the same problem of getting bored easily resulting in me not bothering to really understand what is going on.
    I mean I do listen enough in class to do the work set by my teacher but then after that I just slack off.
    Which isn't good because then that means I have to do more work by myself. And I hate doing physics revision.
    I really just want an A in the end, but a part of me is like put the work in and get the A*.
    I guess I'll wait and see how it unfolds over the next month or two.

- Finish off A level Chemistry by March
    My teacher goes a little slow for my liking and its kinda annoying that we aren't starting organic until she has finished physical & inorganic.
    However I've read quite a bit of organic in preparation for my uni interviews & I could possibly finish my notes that I've been typing quite soon! That should leave me plenty of time to do plenty of papers and I can focus on FM & Physics more.

Free stuff coming up...
    I'll post all my typed notes when they are finished.
    I'll also post some chemistry further reading notes on some basic molecular orbital stuff when I have the time
    The oxford chemistry primer on "Chemical Bonding" is pretty good to anyone who is wanting to do some reading beyond the spec.
    Oh the days of cram-reading to find something that interests me so I could write it on my personal statement are long gone.

Hmm what else...
    I'll post my spreadsheet with grade boundaries I made for AS maths & fm last year as well in the next few blog posts.

Progress update:
    Further Maths - going through Edexcel FP2 papers.
    Chem - in process of learning & typing up notes.
    Physics - none.
    Maths - not prioritising currently.

My revision space currently - sat on the sofa with my laptop
    My main form of procrastination - listening to music
    My mood most of the time - bored.
    Homework situation - I'll leave it until we get back to school.

I hope 2017 is alright.
    How did you find the FP2 material?

I learnt the first two chapters and the first part of the third (also covered polar coordinates year or two ago on Khan Academy but forgotten it now) and was meant to teach myself the rest but I lacked the energy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palette)
    How did you find the FP2 material?

I learnt the first two chapters and the first part of the third (also covered polar coordinates year or two ago on Khan Academy but forgotten it now) and was meant to teach myself the rest but I lacked the energy.
    I worked through all the chapters (quite quickly bearing in mind) bar the last two.
    I found it okay working through but definitely still a little shaky in understanding I think. I plan to do some timed papers next week to see where I am at.
    I like the differential equation chapters since you don't really need to think that much lol just literally applying methods.
    I'm not keen on the last two chapters.

EDIT: I didn't cover the complex transformations bit because I don't need that for AQA
    apparently everyone hates that lol
    doesn't look too nice i must say

ReputationRep:
    How do you feel to get up and do work when you feel bored

ReputationRep:
    Wow, what a great set of results - I wish you all the best!

What're your predicted grades? We do similar A2 subjects & got similar GCSEs! (I got 10A* 2A at GCSE & doing maths, fm, physics and history at A2)

I'm on AQA for maths+FM too. I'm doing C3, C4, S1, S2, M2 & FP2 this year. I think I'll try and look at some FP3 too as I'm planning on doing STEP (I've applied for maths at uni). How hard would you say the FP3 content is? Thanks!

I'm on OCR physics and it kills me haha; I can't remember half of the AS stuff, let alone the A2 content My school also didn't do the AS so I'm not entirely sure where I am rn, other than past papers I've done at home.

I do History instead of Chemistry & History is defo my worst subject (in terms of interest, at least). No idea why I chose a subject with lots of content when I have an awful memory

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your journey and if there's any way we can help each other - I'm up for it! Good luck!!

ReputationRep:

THE LAST HURDLE...
    [witness my attempt to get into uni]
    i will not give up pt.2

AS level blog - I WILL NOT GIVE UP - AAAA (Maths, FM, Physics, Chem)
    Thanks for everyone who followed last year's blog!
    Promise I'll make this blog better! I will post all my revision stuff
    Aiming to post weekly.

Someone said to me to always aim high and get those 4A*s...
    [I'd be very happy with A*A*AA mind you... ]

My exam board is AQA for all my subjects.

My revision stuff (google drive) - will update continuously!
    - AQA AS Chem mindmaps (my crappy year 12 ones)
    - AQA A level Chem mindmaps
    - AQA AS Physics mindmaps
    - AQA A level Physics mindmaps

A little background info...
    Spoiler:
    Show

GCSE - 10A*
    AS level - AAAA (Maths, FM, Physics & Chem)
    About Me -
    I like to draw and paint in my spare time! I'm totally interesting...
    If you've read my AS blog (I can't bring myself to do it lol), then you'd know that I get a bit emotional Erm what else...
    I don't know what I want to do after university.
    Resits - I am resitting C2, S1, M2, FP1 for various reasons.

UCAS - my main motivation
    Spoiler:
    Show

Oxford - had two interviews (will find out Jan 11, fingers crossed )
    Durham - MChem (A*AA)
    Imperial - MChem w/ research abroad (AAA & President's scholarship)
    UCL - MChem w/ year abroad (AAA)
    York - MChem (AAB)

I had interviews at all my unis apart from Durham.
    I found nearly all my interviews rather enjoyable apart from Imperial!
    Wonderful departments and all good in their own ways - feel free to PM for my opinions!

EXAMS 2017 - 16 exams i think
    wish me luck...
    Damn, all highest grades!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueriver)
    How do you feel to get up and do work when you feel bored
    Hmm this year I've got a lot more motivation and drive due to unis and stuff. But last year during exams I didn't particularly find it pleasant. So it stems from the fact that I don't want that to happen this year.

It also doesn't require much effort for me to go sit down in a library to read some new stuff for Chemistry as I just find it interesting anyway.

But on the other hand, I do get bouts of just not bothering with anything. So I don't really do other work other than homework (which I don't find particularly useful anyway) during the weekdays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren-x-)
    Wow, what a great set of results - I wish you all the best!

What're your predicted grades? We do similar A2 subjects & got similar GCSEs! (I got 10A* 2A at GCSE & doing maths, fm, physics and history at A2)

I'm on AQA for maths+FM too. I'm doing C3, C4, S1, S2, M2 & FP2 this year. I think I'll try and look at some FP3 too as I'm planning on doing STEP (I've applied for maths at uni). How hard would you say the FP3 content is? Thanks!

I'm on OCR physics and it kills me haha; I can't remember half of the AS stuff, let alone the A2 content My school also didn't do the AS so I'm not entirely sure where I am rn, other than past papers I've done at home.

I do History instead of Chemistry & History is defo my worst subject (in terms of interest, at least). No idea why I chose a subject with lots of content when I have an awful memory

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your journey and if there's any way we can help each other - I'm up for it! Good luck!!
    My UCAS predicted grades are A*A*AA
    and I definitely want to get that. A* in maths and Chem.

AQA textbooks aren't too great to self teach from I must say. FP3 seems like a nice module (I think) I haven't started proper papers for it but the fact that it's all mainly differential equations - I kinda like. And there isn't as many topics like FP2.

Lol everytime I revise physics it's all just useless anyway. I guess that's one good thing about it. specimen papers are horrible.

Thank you!! Yeah feel free to PM me

ReputationRep:
    My UCAS predicted grades are A*A*AA
    and I definitely want to get that. A* in maths and Chem.

AQA textbooks aren't too great to self teach from I must say. FP3 seems like a nice module (I think) I haven't started proper papers for it but the fact that it's all mainly differential equations - I kinda like. And there isn't as many topics like FP2.

Lol everytime I revise physics it's all just useless anyway. I guess that's one good thing about it. specimen papers are horrible.

Thank you!! Yeah feel free to PM me
    Oooh nice! Mine are A*AAA with the A* in maths (I got about 97% in maths+FM combined at AS, but my teacher didn't predict A* for FM as "FP2 is very hard and only 2 people in all my years of teaching have ever gotten 80+ UMS in it") lol. My personal target is A*A*AA

I've taught myself chapters 5,6 and 7 in C4 this xmas, so I only have an overview of differential equations - but so far I'm really liking them! I didn't like FP1 much as there was soooo many topics....

I've just been looking at physics papers from the old spec; they've completely changed which topics are in which exam, which is really annoying. And my teacher didn't teach us half of the AS spec last year (as he didn't understand half of it himself). Now we're taught by the only physics teacher in the school....but he keeps prioritising yr 11s & 12s over us, as there're only 3 year 13s this year.

Sorry for the waffle :lol:

Will do!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.