4 A2's? Watch

coolguy456
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'm planning to apply for foundation medicine, 2008 entry. got my As results which were good Sociology, A Psychology, A English lit, B Business studies, B.
I'm planning to take all four to A2, however, everyone has been saying to me 'Oh you don’t need to its silly'. Here is my logic can someone tell me if I’m right. I feel I can get 3A's the extra A in business. However, having a B in English lit as well as 3A's would look better if I’m applying for medicine, as English is probably the hardest of my subjects, am I right?
Johnny C.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You are correct. Good luck
nenah
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hey i did 4 A2's which were biology, chemistry, maths and french not because of what universities thought but because i enjoyed all 4 at AS and thought i would at A2! dats all u need!you need to like them not force yourself to do them!
oxygenbubbles
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by coolguy456)
I'm planning to apply for foundation medicine, 2008 entry. got my As results which were good Sociology, A Psychology, A English lit, B Business studies, B.
I'm planning to take all four to A2, however, everyone has been saying to me 'Oh you don’t need to its silly'. Here is my logic can someone tell me if I’m right. I feel I can get 3A's the extra A in business. However, having a B in English lit as well as 3A's would look better if I’m applying for medicine, as English is probably the hardest of my subjects, am I right?
You could just do 3 and repeat AS modules to get 3/4A's there. I know people who did that, it'd probably be really hard to move a B AS up to an A at A-Level without repeats. I did 4 A-Levels, but there's not really much point unless you're applying to Oxbridge.
icapturethecastle
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by nenah)
hey i did 4 A2's which were biology, chemistry, maths and french not because of what universities thought but because i enjoyed all 4 at AS and thought i would at A2! dats all u need!you need to like them not force yourself to do them!
snap! i did the same a at as...but i'm wondering if i'll be able to continue all four at a2, i really do enjoy all 4, but my grades weren't grade, so i'm worried they're gonna be a bit iffy letting me continue all 4

to the thread starter: i think you should definately keep all four, if u feel u can manage it (obviously from ur as grades - congrats on them) and also if you enjoy them, then why not?

good luck
coolguy456
Rep:
?
(Original post by oxygenbubbles)
You could just do 3 and repeat AS modules to get 3/4A's there. I know people who did that, it'd probably be really hard to move a B AS up to an A at A-Level without repeats. I did 4 A-Levels, but there's not really much point unless you're applying to Oxbridge.
Yes, I would be re-sitting one module in business to bounce that up to an A. But it would be difficult for me to get my English grade up to an A because all of my modules were solid B's and I wouldn’t know what to retake! Would it make me stand out from other candidates if I was taking four subjects and predicted 3As and a B? even though the requirement is only 3 full a-levels?

Thanks for all your advice!
oxygenbubbles
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by coolguy456)
Yes, I would be re-sitting one module in business to bounce that up to an A. But it would be difficult for me to get my English grade up to an A because all of my modules were solid B's and I wouldn’t know what to retake! Would it make me stand out from other candidates if I was taking four subjects and predicted 3As and a B? even though the requirement is only 3 full a-levels?

Thanks for all your advice!
Well obviously if other candidates have 3A's and you have 3A's and a B, you're going to be in a slightly better position than them, but are you sure by doing 4A-levels, you'll be able to cope with the repeat on top? I don't want to give any wrong advice because obviously I have no idea what your abilities are, but I know when I did my A-levels, my school didn't let anyone who had repeats do 4 A-levels because they thought it'd be too much. Where are you applying? You could phone the unis you're applying to and ask them if it would benefit you doing 4. It's really tough, I know,but just make sure you don't take on so much work that you don't have time to do other extra curricular things to mention in your application.
gossipgirly
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Doing 4 A levels isn't going to make a massive difference to your application so doing 4 just for that reason is pretty pointless.

However if you really enjoy the 4th subject keep it on and good luck. I did 4 but only because I loved all my subjects so much I couldn't pick one to give up
coolguy456
Rep:
?
(Original post by oxygenbubbles)
my school didn't let anyone who had repeats do 4 A-levels because they thought it'd be too much. Where are you applying? You could phone the unis you're applying to and ask them if it would benefit you doing 4. It's really tough, I know,but just make sure you don't take on so much work that you don't have time to do other extra curricular things to mention in your application.
I only have 1 module to re-sit and it's an easy module but I didn’t put any effort into it in January so ill retake it this January to bump my Business grade up to an A. I have also done most of the CW for business, which is an easy way to get a good grade! so I'm thinking i will be able to cope with the work load.

(Original post by gossipgirly)
However if you really enjoy the 4th subject keep it on and good luck. I did 4 but only because I loved all my subjects so much I couldn't pick one to give up
Yeah, thats my problem, I really enjoy all my subjects and I wouldnt want to give any of them up!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?