MajorFader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
If you use a famous quote off the internet, does that count as plagiarism?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Name:  IMG_1472.JPG
Views: 230
Size:  58.2 KB
LegalDiaries
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MajorFader)
If you use a famous quote off the internet, does that count as plagiarism?
The last time I checked, the definition of plagiarism was as follows:

"the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own."

It is not about using a quote. It is about using a quote without properly attributing it to the author.
StaffsUniDrew
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So long as you make reference to who said the quote, then you won't be plagiarising.

That being said, it is questionable whether you should use quotes in your personal statement or not. Universities are looking for a statement from you, about you. They want an idea of who you are as a student, and whether you fit into their ideals, not a bunch of stuff said by other people.

I used one, small quote when I wrote mine, and it was something that meant a lot to me. It was relevant to my beliefs and who I am as a person, and was a little extra something to add detail to my statement, rather than used to fill empty space. So long as its done in a significant way, I would say go for it. If it's just bits and pieces you're taking from the internet because they sound good, I would probably avoid it 😊
MajorFader
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by StaffsUniDrew)
So long as you make reference to who said the quote, then you won't be plagiarising.

That being said, it is questionable whether you should use quotes in your personal statement or not. Universities are looking for a statement from you, about you. They want an idea of who you are as a student, and whether you fit into their ideals, not a bunch of stuff said by other people.

I used one, small quote when I wrote mine, and it was something that meant a lot to me. It was relevant to my beliefs and who I am as a person, and was a little extra something to add detail to my statement, rather than used to fill empty space. So long as its done in a significant way, I would say go for it. If it's just bits and pieces you're taking from the internet because they sound good, I would probably avoid it 😊
Okay right thanks.
Why subjects were you doing at a level at the time?
Hassan2578
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
you will be flagged on ucas if u use too much of other peoples work they have a software which chan check. unit don't take students with flagged personal statements. just do it yourself.
MathsAndCoffee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Your personal statement is meant to be about you.

So no quotes!
StaffsUniDrew
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MajorFader)
Okay right thanks.
Why subjects were you doing at a level at the time?
I was doing Chemistry (but dropped it at AS), Biology, English Literature, and Psychology, and I am currently doing a BSc Psychology and Counselling at Staffs Uni. If you need any advice, my uni has a personal statement checker that can help out if you are still struggling 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
18.64%
I'm not sure (2)
1.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (35)
29.66%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.54%
I'm not a current university student (56)
47.46%

Watched Threads