A levels for international relations

Watch this thread
childishgambin0
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
possibly considering a degree in IR at LSE, Kings, Birmingham, Queen Marys, St Andrews or Durham!! what a level subjects did any IR students/offerholders at these universities take??
please send help lmao
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by childishgambin0)
possibly considering a degree in IR at LSE, Kings, Birmingham, Queen Marys, St Andrews or Durham!! what a level subjects did any IR students/offerholders at these universities take??
please send help lmao
No need to bump so quickly! But quite a few years ago now I got an offer from Birmingham with History, Politics and RS A-Levels.
childishgambin0
Rep:
(Original post by jelly1000)
No need to bump so quickly! But quite a few years ago now I got an offer from Birmingham with History, Politics and RS A-Levels.
I've been waiting for a reply for 19 hours😂 but thank you, those are subjects right up my street!
afern
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Currently a first year history/IR student. I did IB not A levels but my higher level subjects were English lit, history and philosophy. Anything essay based is good because you'll be writing a lot of essays in IR. Politics or history are pretty obvious courses that stand out, but personally I found philosophy really helpful because most of the IR theories are based on philosophy so it's much easier to remember when you're already familiar with the philosophers and their theses.
childishgambin0
Rep:
(Original post by afern)
Currently a first year history/IR student. I did IB not A levels but my higher level subjects were English lit, history and philosophy. Anything essay based is good because you'll be writing a lot of essays in IR. Politics or history are pretty obvious courses that stand out, but personally I found philosophy really helpful because most of the IR theories are based on philosophy so it's much easier to remember when you're already familiar with the philosophers and their theses.
thanks so much! difficult to find help as not many people take IR! would you say a subject like classic civilisation would be helpful? I want to take it more than philosophy but philosophy sounds more helpful?
afern
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
thanks so much! difficult to find help as not many people take IR! would you say a subject like classic civilisation would be helpful? I want to take it more than philosophy but philosophy sounds more helpful?
The last time I took a classical civilisation type class was about five years ago so I'm not completely certain how helpful it would be, but it definitely would be good. The older IR theories are based on a lot of classical thought, and again it'll help with your essay-writing skills. I'd say if you're more interested in it than philosophy go with classics, at least in my course the theory stuff hasn't gone so in depth that you need to know the philosophers really well to understand. If you do something you're more interested in you're hopefully more likely to score well too
childishgambin0
Rep:
(Original post by afern)
The last time I took a classical civilisation type class was about five years ago so I'm not completely certain how helpful it would be, but it definitely would be good. The older IR theories are based on a lot of classical thought, and again it'll help with your essay-writing skills. I'd say if you're more interested in it than philosophy go with classics, at least in my course the theory stuff hasn't gone so in depth that you need to know the philosophers really well to understand. If you do something you're more interested in you're hopefully more likely to score well too
can't thank you enough !! i was worried it wouldn't be respected but now i'm quite happy with my combination of eng lit/politics/classics it doesn't sound too soft does it?!
afern
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
can't thank you enough !! i was worried it wouldn't be respected but now i'm quite happy with my combination of eng lit/politics/classics it doesn't sound too soft does it?!
I don't think it sounds too soft, but I also did the IB so I'm not as familiar with what counts as soft for A levels. None of the subjects jump out to me as cop out courses though so if they're things you're really interested in it should be totally fine!
childishgambin0
Rep:
(Original post by afern)
I don't think it sounds too soft, but I also did the IB so I'm not as familiar with what counts as soft for A levels. None of the subjects jump out to me as cop out courses though so if they're things you're really interested in it should be totally fine!
i've emailed a couple of uni's asking whether my subject combination is advisable and hopefully classics shouldn't cause any issues! if it does, it's straight to philosphy!
really appreciate all the help thanks again
geob96
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I've just received an unconditional offer to study IR at LSE. I studied Geography, Politics and English Lit/Lang at A Level
Foji
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by geob96)
I've just received an unconditional offer to study IR at LSE. I studied Geography, Politics and English Lit/Lang at A Level
Damn what were your grades last year and predicted grades this year! Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
geob96
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I've done a gap year so already had my full A level grades I got 3 As
childishgambin0
Rep:
this is brilliant so congratulations !! i'm taking eng lit and politics too
childishgambin0
Rep:
may I ask what your gcse grades were please?!
geob96
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
this is brilliant so congratulations !! i'm taking eng lit and politics too
Thank you!!! Politics is such a fun A level, enjoy!
geob96
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
may I ask what your gcse grades were please?!
Sure, I got A*A*A*AAAABB
childishgambin0
Rep:
Thank you!!! Politics is such a fun A level, enjoy!
I'm really looking forward to it !
childishgambin0
Rep:
Sure, I got A*A*A*AAAABB
wow you did so good ahhh
Hannay(FTGI)
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I know this is old but i thought i'd ask anyway. Which subjects do you find most useful at A level for IR? Do you wish you could have studied another one instead of one you did? thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (258)
42.72%
The paper was reasonable (252)
41.72%
Not feeling great about that exam... (52)
8.61%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
6.95%

Watched Threads