South america gap year Watch

del_piero030405
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Has anyone had any experience of living or working/volunteering in south america in a gap year?im going to be working till feb and undertaking some language classes in spanish and getting few books out from library,do you think it owuld be possible to get cheap flights over to s america then explore mexico,peru and those countries whilst planning it as i go along and maybe doing a bit of work along the way to get some money?how dangerous/difficult would it be to travel across a few counrties for a month or two on my own with only basic spanish?
MediterraneanX
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
my brothers just come back from brazil and columbia...I'm hoping to go to south america this year aswel, would definitely not advise you to go on your own, at least not to brazil/columbia/peru - the (majority) of girls are working for pimps, police are corrupt and will arrest you for nothing and demand money, saying that most of the locals are friendly...my brother got saved at least 3 times by three locals telling him to duck while bullets went over his head...it really is mad out there, but other than that he said its a gorgeous place! Definitely worth visiting, just be careful and if your going to Rio in brazil make sure your with someone who knows the place well!
Brotherhood
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I did it for six months all on my lonesome.

Flights aren't cheap.

Plenty of others I met were travelling alone, including lots of girls. It depends on you as a person.

If you've got some specific questions I'd be happy to answer, but I'd kind of need to know where you're going and what you want to do. The volunteer network is pretty well established out there so anything's possible.
Indievertigo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MediterraneanX)
my brothers just come back from brazil and columbia...I'm hoping to go to south america this year aswel, would definitely not advise you to go on your own, at least not to brazil/columbia/peru - the (majority) of girls are working for pimps, police are corrupt and will arrest you for nothing and demand money, saying that most of the locals are friendly...my brother got saved at least 3 times by three locals telling him to duck while bullets went over his head...it really is mad out there, but other than that he said its a gorgeous place! Definitely worth visiting, just be careful and if your going to Rio in brazil make sure your with someone who knows the place well!
Either your just a scaremongerer or your brother got really unlucky.

¨The majority of girls are working for pimps¨ Thats just not true, unless your brother only visited brothels.
Travelling solo is perfectly safe, even for girls. Just keep your wits about you, don't walk about at night, or down lonesome alleys and all the usual common sense stuff. The most dangerous isn´t Colombia but Brazil - all the stories I hear about gun point robbery are from Brazil.
Haven´t came across any corrupt police officers myself, but again heard stories.

The most dangerous places I´ve encountered are border towns - you don´t wanna visit them for longer than neccessary.
del_piero030405
Rep:
?
Hmm which border towns?and i was thinking a bit more north such as Honduras,Peru and those sort of countries,meixco even.Would you say these countries are a bit safer then or not than columbia and brazil(where they speak portugese,no?) also how easy would it be to travel between those countries,is the railyway system cheap/reliable?
Brotherhood
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Honduras/Mexico and Peru are thousands of miles away from each other in completely different parts of America.

I can only comment on SA but yes it's incredibly easy. Tourists are catered for. Rail isn't great. Most people use planes or coaches.

You can't say if one country is safer than another. Everywhere has its dangerous parts. But you shouldn't be worrying about safety too much. Most places get bad reputations, a few incidents and it all gets blown out of proportion. Just use your common sense.
Indievertigo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Those two countries are thousands of miles apart! Peru is generally a "dangerous" place, but only because of opportunistic crime - camera snatching etc. Keep your wits about you and you should be fine. Brazil has its reputation for gun point shooting, yes they speak portugese there.
Border towns; Puno (peru/Bolivia), Huaquillas (ecuador/peru) and you shouldn´t really be getting a bus from Colombia to Ecuador lol. Bus is the way to go almost everywhere, the rail system is virtually non existent. Flying domestically is cheap, but between two countries is a lot more expensive.
"tourists are catered for" - not true in a lot of places in South America, most of ecuador no one could speak english, in Peru cusco obviously is very touristy, but other places not so. Colombia, forget about being catered for, just expect warm locals.
Brotherhood
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I meant travel-wise.
del_piero030405
Rep:
?
Ok i admit my geography knowledge is poor but at least the enthusiasms here ,ah so rail is not so good then.Hmm well where would you reccomend a beginner in spanish who is travelling on is own should travel to then?I have been looking and think I will do one month project volunteering with a local company which seem to be available in almost all south american countries then travel around for a bit,hopefully to one or two other countries,do you think the chances of me meeting up with anyone else travelling around would be fairly high or not considering im not going with a large western company.also would i need to book domestric flights within south america before i leave or it would it be easy enough to do it as and when i want to once there?
cambridge001
Report 11 years ago
I travelled for a month in Bolivia with my brother who was on his gap year, He was out there working and travelling for 7 months and had no problems.I went to Bolivia, one of the poorest countries. I would travel alone there, although I would b much much more careful, and company is appreciated.
It is very cheap once you are out there, accommodation for as little as $2 a night, and a good dinner for $1.50.
One thing we did find though was that many of the travellers out there were graduates or older. There were not that many school leavers around and the ones we did meet were 'interesting'. i tihnk this also depends on where you go, places in Brazil would be much more popualr too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?